Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help - ICON vs S9 settings
Please help - ICON vs S9 settings
I have been using apap for over a year and a half. I have been using F&p icon auto with setting 8-15. Doing ok with leaks and ahi usual range 2.0 and below.  
Recently purchased a Resmed s9 autoset originally I purchased it for travel buy after reading a lot it seems like the s9 has a much better algorithm so decided to use it full time 
It has been two weeks and I've never had low ahi's sometimes get 0.0.  The only problem is my 95 percent pressure is 15.  With my icon usual pressure around 9.0.
I don't feel the high pressure but don't know if need high pressure setting .
Can there really by such a difference between two machines ?  What should I do.  
Sorry for the long thread and many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help
Congrats on the improvement. Are you looking at your sleepy head data? You could post a couple of charts.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's algorithm is quick to attack. That is to say it raises pressure more aggressively. I would not be surprised to see it run up higher.
ResMed is more reactive to snoring and flow limitation in an effort to head off OSA.

You say "...my 95 percent pressure is 15." That means you were at 15 for 5% of the time.
"...With my icon usual pressure around 9.0." You may also be comparing apples and oranges if the ICON is reporting median pressure.
To visualize this, look at your pressure in a sleepyhead graph.
ResMed is more reactive to snoring and flow limitation in an effort to head off OSA.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My pressure is 15 , 95 percent of the time. 
My question is does that mean I need to go higher with the pressure settings since it is already at the maximum?
Post Reply Post Reply
Not necessarily. Look at the graphs. Does it hit 15 and then sit there for extended periods? Or does it tap it?

You could, of course, increase it to 16 and observe the data for a week.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
yankees123,
I would say so.  If you're hitting your maximum programmed pressure, then the machine doesn't have anywhere to go to provide any additional support.  With that said,  if it is your S9 we're talking about and not the F&P Icon you have listed, then your flow limitations may be driving it to the highest pressure. To test this theory, try setting the EPR to 3 and see if that reduces your required pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm more aligned with what Paula said. I limit my upper pressure to less than my machine might like to take.
If the S9 is only hitting the max of 15 for 5% of the night; and the AHI is very good, this seems like a case of: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help - ICON vs S9 settings
So sorry maybe wasn't clear.  My 95 percent pressure reading is 15 .  Same as my max pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way I would like to change on my profile the machine and mask I use, please let me know how to do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look in the upper right of the web page for "UserCP", short for User Control Panel. Scroll down the left side until you find, "Edit Profile".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,315 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 829 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirSense 11 moon icon instead of bars? LJAB 7 849 10-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Disassembly of F&P Icon Hanrahan 6 3,585 10-19-2023, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Thanya
  Need help with part identity F&P Icon Novo Vsidles 2 363 05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Vsidles
  AirCurve 10 ASV settings - Equivalent settings for AirCurve 10 VAUTO Shadowpup 0 857 11-18-2022, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Shadowpup
  [CPAP] What does this mean on my Fisher Paykel icon+ annoyed 1 615 11-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.