Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me diagnose this ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet noise - YouTube link added
Please help me diagnose this ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet noise - YouTube link added
Hi,

This is my husband's unit, a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet that was purchased new 2.5 years ago, and it's out of warranty. 

FYI:

The water chamber and gasket are newer and in very good condition.  We know the noise that a bad water chamber gasket can make, so this noise isn't that.

We even squeezed the water chamber and made sure that it's pushed in all the way and properly seated.

The tubing is new.

The filter is clean.

This noise doesn't sound like "dying cow" to us.

So, we are at a loss at what this is.

We called our CPAP doctor, and long story short, any repair or replacement would be 100% our cost since my husband isn't on Medicare.  

So, we are hoping for some clear answers, and soon.  The noise is loud and my husband can't sleep with this machine, especially since the noise basically "punishes" him for breathing, as it oscillates with his breathing and is louder and higher pitched on the inhale.

Thanks in advance!

YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/dQFPC01WqHc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me diagnose this ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet noise - YouTube link added
It might be cheaper to buy a new Air sense 10 Auto, You need a prescription to buy on line. From my limited research it is either a air valve block or the bearings are shot. That noise would be enough to drive a person to drinking! Not sure what process you are using to clean the your Cpap machine, certain cleaning processes (ozone)will nil your warranty. I just bought my 2nd Air sense 10 auto recently and they sent a letter warning me of this issue.
Some more information that might help you from this form thread.http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-ResMed-AirSense-10-whines
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me diagnose this ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet noise - YouTube link added
This is a defective "pneumatic block" or blower fan. I is almost always replaced under warranty, and repair costs may exceed the cost of a replacement.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow- this is EXACTLY my problem.  However I just got mine on Thursday.  At the hone medical supply store when the tech was instructing me how to use it, this did not occur (of course).  Found the problem that night then the next day played phone tag with the person I needed to talk to.  Now I am waiting for Monday and thanks to you, I can suggest this.  I’ve had CPAP for over 10 years and never had any problems like this.  This noise is awful.  I am glad to know that this isn’t how I should be expected to learn to live with.  My poor husband!  I will keep checking back for more info or let you all know what happens when I talk with someone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately this is not an isolated case. There have been many failures, usually very early after dispensing a new machine. This is nearly always a warranty issue. Do not accept it, and get the replacement. I have over 16,000 hours on my Resmed and it is silent. This noise, is simply a bad blower unit and is under warranty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AirSense started to make the same noise after a couple months use.  Although not quite as loud, but enough to keep me awake. Sad    I also changed the air filter, humidity tub and hose thinking that might be the problem, but no go.

I finally returned it to Lincare and they sent it back to ResMed.  The tech at Lincare said it is a known problem and ResMed usually replaces the machines under warranty with new.

Within two weeks, I received a new, zero hour machine, which is blessedly silent.  No noise at all!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good stuff to know in case I have the same problem.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
My machine is 2 years and 2 months old and this noise started last night. Is Resmed replacing out  of warranty machines? I am on medicare, will they replace it or do I have to pay out of pocket?
Thanks
Alan
Post Reply Post Reply
Alan, Medicare requires a provider to warrant a machine for 3 years, and they will cover repair or replacements. You need to contact the DME supplier and explain the problem. you may want to tell them you suspect a pneumatic block failure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,806 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 111 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,269 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 617 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.