Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me fine-tune my dad's Vauto settings
Please help me fine-tune my dad's Vauto settings
Hey guys,

Finally got my dad a Resmed Aircurve 10 Bi-level Vauto, and would like some advice on his sleep charts: http://m.imgur.com/a/HP2fK

For the first two nights we used an epapmin of 6 and a pressure support of 3

Then I raised his epapmin to 7, with a ps of 3, and it seemed to do much better.

I raised it because while I watched him fall asleep the first few nights, I noticed he stopped breathing right after he fell asleep, just when he relaxed the most, so I assumed the air stint wasn't pressurized enough. Sure, after he stopped breathing the machine adjusted the pressure higher, but why not turn up the minimum to minimize the amount of times the machine has to adjust?

I don't know - I'm very new to this, just trying to help my dad.

Please advise me on anything else I can change, thanks!

Also - he currently sleeps with a mouthpiece to move his jaw forward, but it needs to be replaced, which ones do you guys use? Any recommendations? He can't afford a doctor, so I'm talking something we can just buy.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me fine-tune my dad's Vauto settings
Hi Nimboo. On the basis of those charts he's doing pretty good. At this stage I would't change anything, just monitor him for a week or two and see if any trends develop.

The fact that he stops breathing just after he falls asleep may not be significant - there is a transition period between wakefulness and sleep when breathing does get a bit irregular and ragged, and this is often flagged as apneas. As regards the mouthpiece, I think a well-tuned xPAP machine will be more successful and less invasive. Once he's settled into using the machine, try him without the mouthpiece for a few nights and see how it goes. You may find he doesn't need it any more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nimboo,
I don’t know enough about your machine but keep checking back, there are quite a few that have that or a similar machine to be able to help you. Have you gotten a clinitians manual for his machine? I think there is a link on the board for them.
It’s great that you are looking out for your dad.
Keep up the good work and don’t give up.
Edit: DeepBreathing and I posted at the same time, (Ha-Ha.) Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Nimboo, great to hear from you.

Your Dad's data shows he is doing well. You've already adjusted the machine very well.

In a week or two we may have some suggestions for fine tuning, but looks like a really excelent job so far.

Well done!

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 570 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 472 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 89 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What machine? VAuto vs ASV snapperzz 3 142 03-16-2024, 10:55 AM
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 731 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,362 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.