Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me get back on track
RE: Please help me get back on track
Thats what I thought, unfortunately. I really wish I had known enough to insist on a fully data capable machine. I don't know why they even sell the ones that aren't.... how do they really know how everything is going if its only recording hours used? Next time I will insist on one but for now I have to get back on track with this one so I can demonstrate compliance and qualify for a new one next year when its time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2016, 08:36 PM)beth2507 Wrote: Thats what I thought, unfortunately. I really wish I had known enough to insist on a fully data capable machine. I don't know why they even sell the ones that aren't.... how do they really know how everything is going if its only recording hours used? Next time I will insist on one but for now I have to get back on track with this one so I can demonstrate compliance and qualify for a new one next year when its time.

beth2507,
The only thing you can do now is get back on it. Our minds are very powerful, and you can talk yourself out of anxiety. Remind yourself that you have family and friends that need you and untreated apnea will do you more harm physically.

I do get angry when I see people given these machines (we call them bricks).
How can your doctor even know how you are doing without any data, not even your AHI?

Do your best to get back on the program, and go by how you feel in the morning.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't feel bad. That's what happened to me when I first started on CPAP, and I know it happened with many others when they started apnea treatment. You asked, how do they really know how everything is going if the machine is only recording hours? A very good question, indeed. As so many folks have said here, it's our therapy, our apnea and we (the pts.) need to know what's going on with our own treatment--something a fully data capable machine can allow us to do. And if our situation changes over time, an auto machine will both address a changing pressure need and tell us what's going on with our sleep therapy. Then, we are in a position to tell our sleep doc what's been happening with our therapy in a detailed manner.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Beth,

It makes perfect sense to me that you'd have a fear of CPAP causing a recurrence of insomnia. I have fibromyalgia and have struggled with insomnia for years. I just started using CPAP a couple of months ago. I am using lavender aromatherapy oil to help me relax as well as a playlist of soothing music that lasts about an hour that I turn on when I get into bed.

Sometimes I get in bed without the mask on and just lie there for a few minutes listening to music and relaxing and then I put the mask on.

I also started taking a shower at bedtime, mostly because I was having problems with dry nasal passages, but I found that the shower helps me to relax.

You might consider adding some relaxing activities to your bedtime routine.

I think melatonin-based sleep aids can be helpful, too. Either a low dose of just melatonin or one of the combos with 5-HTP and L-theanine help me to fall asleep.

If I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, I usually turn my music back on.

I'm glad that you've come to this forum for help. I have found it to be made up of experienced CPAP users with good ideas.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me get back on track- update
Update: yesterday I set up the machine and spent some time watching tv with it ok before bed. When I finally turned off the lights And tried to sleep i panicked. I felt anxious and ended up taking off the mask but the was so worked up I only slept for about an hour and was in and out of bed all night. I just don't know what to do. I don't know how to get over this. This is what has been happening when I try to use it. I want to use it! Can anyone help me or am I beyond help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beth. I used to have terrible insomnia (I have fibromyalgia) but after going on the machine and getting used to it my insomnia has disappeared. So it does work both ways and it's obviously all in the psychology.

I think you need some kind of circuit-breaker in this situation. I wonder if you could try a fairly powerful sleeping aid like zolpidem (ambien) for a couple of weeks? It will knock you out pretty quickly and might be just what you need to dissociate the insomnia from the machine. It's worth having a talk to your doctor. Don't accept that you just have to put up with this situation - it's not doing your health any good at all.

If you don't want to go the medication route, perhaps consider cognitive behavioural therapy or clinical hypnosis. This type of approach might also break the cycle you've got into.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2016, 05:57 AM)beth2507 Wrote: Update: yesterday I set up the machine and spent some time watching tv with it ok before bed. When I finally turned off the lights And tried to sleep i panicked. I felt anxious and ended up taking off the mask but the was so worked up I only slept for about an hour and was in and out of bed all night. I just don't know what to do. I don't know how to get over this. This is what has been happening when I try to use it. I want to use it! Can anyone help me or am I beyond help?

Hi Beth,

This works for me when I have trouble getting to sleep which is rare. My problem is waking up prematurely.

What I do is turn out all the lights and wear blue light blocking sunglasses while watching a movie on my Kindle. The lack of blue light has the effect of making me very sleepy pretty quickly when I thought there was no chance in heck that would happen. Smile

If this option interests you, google blue light blocking glasses. I bought my mine at Amazon which fit over my glasses. If you don't have glasses, there is another version you need to order. I spent about $7 to $8 by the way.

I also agree with the advice about possibly trying Ambien if necessary.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Beth,

What can you hear and see when you turn the lights off in your bedroom? It needs to be fairly dark if possible and a comfortable temperature.

I find that some kind of relaxing sound to hide the sound of the CPAP machine while I'm getting to sleep helps me.

I am using a music playlist right now, but I have also used YouTube videos of rain falling in the past.

There are also lots of YouTube videos of people reading relaxation exercises. I don't like those personally - someone talking tends to keep me awake.

I take the antidepressant mirtazapine/Remeron at bedtime. It's for depression, but it also makes me sleepy. It's often given in low doses (7.5-15 mg) just for helping sleep.

Melatonin and melatonin-combo sleep aids work for me short term. (for about a month.)

I have also taken Ambien and found it to work great with no next-morning hangover.

As you can see, I have got a belt-and-suspenders thing going on. I've got a sleep aid plus pleasant and relaxing environmental cues to help me to develop good associations with CPAP usage.

I was already using the mirtazapine and music before I started using CPAP a couple of months ago. I added the lavender aromatherapy oil because I was getting anxious when I put the mask on.

It's great that you are wearing the mask before you go to bed.

Insomnia + CPAP is an extra challenge. I have to work at getting to sleep without a mask on my face, so for now I am clinging to my routine.

(03-07-2016, 05:57 AM)beth2507 Wrote: Update: yesterday I set up the machine and spent some time watching tv with it ok before bed. When I finally turned off the lights And tried to sleep i panicked. I felt anxious and ended up taking off the mask but the was so worked up I only slept for about an hour and was in and out of bed all night. I just don't know what to do. I don't know how to get over this. This is what has been happening when I try to use it. I want to use it! Can anyone help me or am I beyond help?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 160 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 146 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 191 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,379 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Wake and can't get back to sleep hydra 11 586 02-23-2024, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 978 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 443 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.