Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me interpret this in-lab study
Please help me interpret this in-lab study
My doctor basically told me I have insomnia and that these results are inconclusive because I had somewhat elevated RDI in REM but only got 28 minutes of REM sleep, and because this is not representative of how I normally sleep (which is sleeping throughout the night without waking up for 3 hours as I did in this study).

Please help me interpret this. I am wondering if this indicates UARS? What are "spontaneous microarousals" (page 3 Microarousal Analysis)?

They also said other measures would be included but it's not in the report. I've asked them to send me the raw data but they haven't responded. This is my second test, with my first one (a home-based one) a complete distaster - only 2 hours of sleep.

I have had unrefreshing sleep for years and have chronic fatigue and TMJ.

Thank you.

Attached Files
.pdf   DocumentUploader.aspx.pdf copy.pdf (Size: 1.19 MB / Downloads: 21)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me interpret this in-lab study
The study summary lacks any respiratory flow details that would enable interpretation of of UARS. Your long period of wakefulness in the middle of the night is not indicative of insomnia, but may simply be an intolerance of the clinical sleep environment. From personal experience this is not unusual. The flow events chart show that flow restrictions are not correlated to PLM and flow events, mainly hypopnea, are highly clustered. We often see the same pattern in the flow charts of individuals using CPAP therapy and have associated these clusters with positional apnea or chin-tucking where episodes of obstruction occur due to "chin-tucking" or similar physical obstruction of the airway. These obstructions cause arousals which in turn result in movement to a position where freer respiratory flow occurs. If we saw persistent, low-level obstruction or airway resistance then UARS is more likely, however we prefer to see the detailed flow charts to draw better conclusions. Take a look at our wiki on "positional apnea" and follow links to the Soft Cervical collar wiki if you are interested in how we often treat the problem. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

If you suspect UARS but don't qualify for NHS issuance of a CPAP or bilevel machine, this article describes how bilevel positive air pressure helps with mitigating UARS http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response. I have another study with flow information. Please could you help me interpret this?

Attached Files
.pdf   respiration-report-hk-2022-01-20-0914.pdf copy.pdf (Size: 423.23 KB / Downloads: 5)
Post Reply Post Reply
Overall mild obstructive sleep apnea with clustered hypopnea events. These results fall within normal parameters and would not be classified as sleep disordered breathing for the purposes of medical necessity of CPAP treatment. There is a persistent flow limitation which is defined as inspiratory flattening index greater than 0.15, and this would be an indication of grater respiratory effort and potential for respiratory effort arousal. Your worst desaturation occurred while on your right side at 07:00, and I would bet this was in a position with the chin deeply tucked.

Elective CPAP may help with obstructive events and flow limitation, however in my experience, the Philips CPAP algorithm will be much less effective than Resmed with EPR and Easybreathe™, or bilevel therapy to directly treat flow limitation. Improvement could be expected in AHI and flow limitation by use of a soft cervical collar that prevents cervical flexing and associated events, desaturation and flow limits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. So you’re saying that despite not meeting the medical criteria for needing a PAP machine I should get one anyway? Like the Resmed BIPAP? What about ASV? Do you think the cervical collar without PAP could be sufficient and where can you find it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your need for PAP of any kind depends on how your feel and whether you think opening up your airway and possibly assisting inspiration is something you want to invest in at your own cost. You do not have clinical sleep apnea and insurance is a long-shot option. If you are looking for a solution to inspiratory flow limitation and the resulting relatively low level of arousals, and hypopnea, then a device with some bilevel pressure is preferred. You do not need, and would not likely benefit from ASV as it can be more disruptive than the problems you experience. The ideal machine may be the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto, and the Resmed Airsense 10/11 Autoset would be a very close second with up to 3-cm of pressure support (EPR). Your condition will likely increase as you age, and especially if you gain weight. Lifestyle and fitness are the best short-term options, however bilevel PAP may improve sleep quality and alertness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Alright thanks. So if I get the BIPAP on my own without a doctor, how would I know how to titrate it? And im guessing the cervical collar would not be enough?

The ENT surgeon told me that a PAP would be useless for UARS because of the anatomical feature that distinguishes it from regular apnea…

Also is it true that if you have congestion then PAP is useless? I’ve always had bad congestion of nose and sinuses.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, why would ASV be more disruptive? I was reading that ASV is preferable to BIPAP: https://sleepbreathe.org/response-to-sle...krakow-md/

(Sorry, there is no option to edit my previous post)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Got sleep study results and I am quite fustrated ewarner64 5 60 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  My sleep study (starting out) sabletaurus 5 170 04-16-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 148 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 87 1,395 04-13-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: PandaZA
  can someone help me interpret these? Mshull 4 208 04-11-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 368 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results brehski 6 219 04-03-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.