Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me to understand OSCAR data
Please help me to understand OSCAR data
Please help a fairly new person about reading OACAR Data.
I don't know if I attached the correct page.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me to understand OSCAR data
You own an autoset, why are you only on cpap? who set your pressure? I would suggest (unless there is a reason not to) Set it to auto with a min of 7, Max of 20 and epr 3.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 02:45 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You own an autoset, why are you only on cpap?  who set your pressure?  I would suggest  (unless there is a reason not to) Set it to auto with a min of 7, Max of 20 and epr 3.

The doctor told me to set the pressure. I don't understand your question....why am I only on cpap?
I'll look at the machine to set the auto. Thank you.
Isn't there any info on the attachment that would tell you I'm at a good setting? I sure feel 100% better during the day. Going on almost 3 months of use.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is you have quite a few Obstructive apneas that is helped by a higher pressure.  The CPAP is a continuous pressure at what ever it is set at.  6 is not high enough to get rid of the OB.  but you don't want to run a high number if you don't need it.  AUTO sets it so you use the low number when you need it and raises it up to a higher number when you need the higher number.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your AHI (Apneas per hr index) is not high and with in reasonable parameters. You are fixed on one pressure that means just Cpap where auto lets the machine find proper settings as apneas occur.
Higher pressures will help your obstruction apena but sometimes increasing your pressure can bring on CA so keep a eye out for that increase (Central apena or Clear airway apnea is brought on by washed out CO2 in the blood because of improved breathing and for what ever reason the brain shuts down breathing to build up CO2 in blood, I know it sounds weird but that is how we survive.)
EPR on 1 maybe 2 might be a sweet spot to try and minimum pressure of 7 and max of 11 because you are doing reasonably well even on the low pressure settings.
Hope this helps you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 02:56 PM)DotLove Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 02:45 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You own an autoset, why are you only on cpap?  who set your pressure?  I would suggest  (unless there is a reason not to) Set it to auto with a min of 7, Max of 20 and epr 3.

The doctor told me to set the pressure. I don't understand your question....why am I only on cpap?
Isn't there any info on the attachment that would tell you I'm at a good setting? I sure feel 100% better during the day. Going on almost 3 months of use.
If you are under the impression that 'someone' is monitoring your progress from the time of the prescription, it seems that 'someone' is not doing their job.  In my case, the respiratory therapist (RT) who set me up made it a point that she would be monitoring me for some time remotely, and that she may have made one or two adjustments (consulting the prescriber first).  Your machine is many times more capable than it is hobbled at the moment in 'straight CPAP' mode.  I'm on straight PAP, but I am well controlled at 8.0 cm of H2O.  Your AHI of just over 2 means there's quite a bit of room to fiddle still.  I agree with the previous gentleman in that you need at least another 3-5 cm of H2O, just to start with, and that if you place your machine in Auto mode, it will titrate you itself...while you sleep and go through various incidents and stages.

Personally, I would start with an EPR of only 2, but we do need to establish whether or not you need it and what level it should be.

One other important item: as we get you closer to your required therapeutic pressures, both max and min, you may be unpleasantly surprised to see your 'open airway', or what are really central apneas, climbing....some.  This is to be expected in a great many cases for patients still finding their place in their therapy.  We can fix that if it gets excessive.  Just be forewarned...it might happen to you.  Don't be alarmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
You will find a number of suggestions here.  Again if the top number is at 20 you may never use it that high.  If the highest you need is 10 it will go up to 10.  I am putting a screen shot of my OSCAR.  As you can see the pressures are min 8.8 and max 18.  Now look at the pressure chart.  See around 3:00 the pressure went up - why to stop an obstructive event. and went back down after the event.  With CPAP the pressure can NOT go up and can NOT stop Obstructive events.  Now look at your graphs at the top graph.  See the lines in the row labeled OA?  Those can not be stopped with cpap unless the pressure is high enough.  Please ask questions if you do not understand.

You have done well, but could do better.  You will get suggestion here but you need to understand why they want you to try them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2020, 03:22 PM)mesenteria Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 02:56 PM)DotLove Wrote:

If you are under the impression that 'someone' is monitoring your progress from the time of the prescription, it seems that 'someone' is not doing their job.  In my case, the respiratory therapist (RT) who set me up made it a point that she would be monitoring me for some time remotely, and that she may have made one or two adjustments (consulting the prescriber first).  Your machine is many times more capable than it is hobbled at the moment in 'straight CPAP' mode.  I'm on straight PAP, but I am well controlled at 8.0 cm of H2O.  Your AHI of just over 2 means there's quite a bit of room to fiddle still.  I agree with the previous gentleman in that you need at least another 3-5 cm of H2O, just to start with, and that if you place your machine in Auto mode, it will titrate you itself...while you sleep and go through various incidents and stages.

Personally, I would start with an EPR of only 2, but we do need to establish whether or not you need it and what level it should be.

One other important item: as we get you closer to your required therapeutic pressures, both max and min, you may be unpleasantly surprised to see your 'open airway', or what are really central apneas, climbing....some.  This is to be expected in a great many cases for patients still finding their place in their therapy.  We can fix that if it gets excessive.  Just be forewarned...it might happen to you.  Don't be alarmed.

I am getting no help from medical providers about my ongoing therapy. Yes, I thought my doctor, or nurse practitioner would check on my data from time to time. This is not happening. I see my pulmanary doc in 2 weeks and I will inquire about this dilemma. The whole medical experience with my doctor has been unsatisfactory from the start. I'm seeking a new Pulmonary doctor.
I just set my machine on auto. Will I still need to set EPR on 2?
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me add something because you are just starting out. The lower number is when you exhale and the upper number in to inhale. Many people find if they raise their Cpap up enough to stop the Obstructive events then it is difficult to exhale at that high of a pressure so with auto it drops down so you are at a lower pressure to exhale and is much more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR 2 is fine.  2 or 3 will not be much difference.  Did I explain the Why of the AUTO well enough - do you have any other questions?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 400 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.