Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me to understand OSCAR data
RE: Desperate for help reading Oscar charts
Hello, I believe the reason for going to auto mode was to improve your Obstruction Apnea's. Getting a good night's rest is important also and the EPR can give issues sometimes. Looking at your charts your snore chart is indicating when pressure drops your snoring is increasing and EPR should be 0 or maybe 1 IMO. Your ramp time should only be 5 min with minimum pressure 6.6 like your fixed rate was because you are almost snoring as soon as you drop off to sleep.
I'm sure some other folks will help out also. As for pressure hitting a ceiling that is ok IMO, I have a similar chart possibly that shows this. Sometimes if pressure is left to rom to high it gives other issues like mask leaks and CA's.
I will leave a image of my Pressure hitting a ceiling and you will notice my REM sleep pattern in the pressure waves also. I was terrible at snoring driving every one bonkers.
I'm hoping this helps as you are dialing in your machine to optimum settings.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think you could raise you minimum pressure a tad. Your median pressure is 9.26 and your 95% is  10.  I also think you could raise your maximum pressure as you hit the ceiling quite a bit.  Try a small change 8 for minimum and 11 for maximum.   Give it a couple of days and see if it is better.  Post your charts in this same thread to avoid confusion.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
On your previous thread you were getting use to downloading Oscar to this Forum and you must know that the most important factors the folks need here are Event flag on top, flow rate, Pressure, leak rate and Flow limit those charts are needed to help you out better (Like  my chart I shown). Looking at your leak rate on the other thread(I think moderators like it all on one Thread if possible) your leak rate chart is not good possibly from what I recall and would be nice to see that for sure because that can undermine the new settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
MarthaRose,
You certainly have my permission to keep your therapy questions to this thread.  

I took a look at the previous thread you started, and realized that it was hijacked early on and completely taken over by another member, and that members were responding but not sure who their responses were for.
So go ahead and stick with this thread.  

One thing I would like is that you take a look at the links in my signature line for guidance in setting up your chart.  

We don't need to see all the graphs you posted.  The graphs we want to see:  Events, Flow Rate,
Pressure, Leak Rate and Flow Limitation (ResMed only).  Also include the left side bar minus the pie chart and calendar.  If any other graphs are needed, we would ask.   Also, you will end up with one chart instead of four.   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me to understand OSCAR data
EDIT:

Just so folks are aware, we found out that MarthaRose and DotLove are the same person. I think she had trouble with her original account and decided to create a new one, which caused confusion.

I have merged her two accounts into the one account (DotLove) and her two therapy threads have been merged into this one thread also.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
DotLove, I think I lost track of this thread. It will help a lot if you will just post the charts we need to see: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate and Flow Limitation. OSCAR can automatically created this by using the menu, View/Reset Graphs/Standard. Please use the menu option to make your graphs consistent.

We changed your settings to address obstructive apnea and flow limitations, and as a result of the EPR setting of 3, we are now seeing more CA events. We can limit the pressure range and reduce EPR and get this under control. Please set minimum pressure to 7.0, maximum pressure to 8.0 and EPR at 2. I really need to see a standard view of your graphs to help you, so follow the instructions above to post a standard chart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2020, 06:19 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: DotLove, I think I lost track of this thread.  It will help a lot if you will just post the charts we need to see: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Leak Rate and Flow Limitation.  OSCAR can automatically created this by using the menu, View/Reset Graphs/Standard. Please use the menu option to make your graphs consistent.  

We changed your settings to address obstructive apnea and flow limitations, and as a result of the EPR setting of 3, we are now seeing more CA events. We can limit the pressure range and reduce EPR and get this under control.  Please set minimum pressure to 7.0, maximum pressure to 8.0 and EPR at 2.  I really need to see a standard view of your graphs to help you, so follow the instructions above to post a standard chart.

Thank you for your help Slee         prider. I was able to screenshot the  correct charts. 
According to the App which comes with my Resmed Auto Set machine, last night I had 2.7 events per hour.
I know these charts are more detailed. 
One more question: people here say most of them turn off RAMP why?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts are showing the information we need to understand what is going on. Your most recent session was done in CPAP (fixed pressure) mode with a pressure of 7.0 and EPR at 1. We can clearly see your events are predominately obstructive. Although I had suggested Autoset mode at 7 to 8 cm pressure and EPR 1, We can work with fixed pressure if you prefer. Let's raise your pressure from 7.0 to 8.0 and we should see your obstructive events reduced. Leave all other settings the same. As we increase pressure, your airway will increasingly stabilize, and we should see fewer apnea.

Ramp is used by new users to make it easier to fall asleep at lower pressures before the higher therapy pressure begins. We prefer users minimize the ramp time and start with an effective pressure. Ramp cancels out some of the therapy benefits when using auto-pressure mode, and can make it harder to get a good mask fit because pressure is low as you go to bed, so it's generally something we try to move away from once you are comfortable enough to start without ramp.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Why no Ramp?
1. Ramp pressure is below therapeutic setting levels, so it delays effective therapy.
2. Ramp Pressures are frequently at a pressure that give most adults difficulty breathing, We typically view 6 cmw as a minimium.
3. Over time you get used to CPAP and tolerate 'higher' pressures and can often disable a Ramp that was needed before.
4. If used Ramp time should be minimized.

Why use Ramp?
1. You are likely starting therapy and your therapeutic pressures seem too high, Ramp bridges this gap. Note: Events are not checked for during Ramp, so you have no idea what happens therapeutically during the ramp.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2020, 12:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your charts are showing the information we need to understand what is going on.  Your most recent session was done in CPAP (fixed pressure) mode with a pressure of 7.0 and EPR at 1.  We can clearly see your events are predominately obstructive.  Although I had suggested Autoset mode at 7 to 8 cm pressure and EPR 1, We can work with fixed pressure if you prefer.  Let's raise your pressure from 7.0 to 8.0 and we should see your obstructive events reduced.  Leave all other settings the same.  As we increase pressure, your airway will increasingly stabilize, and we should see fewer apnea.

Ramp is used by new users to make it easier to fall asleep at lower pressures before the higher therapy pressure begins.  We prefer users minimize the ramp time and start with an effective pressure. Ramp cancels out some of the therapy benefits when using auto-pressure mode, and can make it harder to get a good mask fit because pressure is low as you go to bed, so it's generally something we try to move away from once you are comfortable enough to start without ramp.
Thank you for your help, Sleeprider. Last night was kind of a mess so I don't know if the charts are ok.
I only slept with cpap about 4 hours last night because I was up and down (stops cpap) But I will post the charts.
I do not mind getting set up for AUTO. It's just that the couple times I tried it, my numbers got worse and I was exhausted the next day. 
Tomorrow I speak with my Pulmonary doc, over the phone visit. Do you have any suggestions that I should  ask about? (as if they care lol)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 42 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 57 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 72 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 406 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 150 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.