Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me to understand OSCAR data
RE: Please help me to understand OSCAR data
Well last night your pressure was again fixed at 7.0. I though we were going to start increasing the pressure to 8.0? You have very high flow limitations part of the night, and a number of obstructive apnea events again. I think you should read the positional apnea wiki and consider if it's possible you are sleeping in a position that causes you to tuck your chin. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Please be sure to increase the pressure to 8.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Others may have suggestions for questions for your Doctor, but as you already know the doc may not be very helpful. This is my opinion, but as you have the CPAP and mask that seems suitable, I think the most valuable action is to keep using the CPAP and posting the OSCAR charts in order for us to help guide you with suggestions.

The positive aspect is we can do this with you every day and at all hours of the day as is required until we get you and your therapy established in doing well. The doctor cannot provide this. Your visit with the doc is a few minutes and it's over. I have found the Apnea Board to give far greater assistance due to that fact alone.

Maybe an opinionated statement, but several here are far better at setting any PAP machine than almost all the sleep doctors out there. The only differences are that the doctors have the fancy title, the office space, a white coat, and a constant flow of boat payments courtesy their patient's bills payable.

Best wishes on the therapy doing great. I believe the therapy is about to pay off.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure at 7 is barely anything at all, when you consider adult treatment is best started at 6. On your charts, you can see the flow limits are quite high. Just saying this to reiterate both of Sleeprider's recommendations.

I can't remember now, why is it that you can't sleep the whole night with your equipment?
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, thank you for your input. I completely agree with you about doctors. Their unsatisfactory practice is a pet peeve of mine. The whole field is disgusting. 
I will be here on for help and support and I'm  grateful the for you and this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepwalker, I thought I had changed the pressure. I just checked to see and it was left on 7.0. I changed it to 8 and will double check before bedtime.
I read the link you sent. I do believe I have Palatal Prolapse because before the cpap machine I could feel it happening as I fell asleep.
If my numbers don't get better, I will consider the collar but I really hate anything touching my throat. Shirts have to be below my collar bone. I'm willing to give it a try if that is what is necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do sleep with my equipment. I am up and down a lot some nights so I need to remove the tube from my mask, which stops the machine.
I set my pressure at 8 today and will double check it at bedtime. I'm really thankful for the help here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2020, 01:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well last night your pressure was again fixed at 7.0.   I though we were going to start increasing the pressure to 8.0?  You have very high flow limitations part of the night, and a number of obstructive apnea events again.  I think you should read the positional apnea wiki and consider if it's possible you are sleeping in a position that causes you to tuck your chin.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

Please be sure to increase the pressure to 8.0.

So, here are the charts from last night. I made sure the pressure was set on 8.
I see there's a lot of snoring this time. Seems like maybe this happens from palatal prolapse.
What do you think of my charts today?

Post Reply Post Reply
I see Flow Limits, Obstructive, and Hypopnea that may be addressed with a higher pressure and/or EPR. The problem I see is if we attempt to address these, the Clear Apnea or Central Apnea events may go up. This elevated CA area is maybe treatment emergent. This translates to temporary because of newness to a CPAP. I have forgotten how long you've used a CPAP/APAP machine. Mostly these should diminish at 3 months after starting APAP therapy.

A question about therapy that will help us guide you. Not referring to the numbers and charts at all, can you tell us how you feel during and after therapy? Does therapy help make you feel better or worse? And how or in what ways is it good or bad?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2020, 01:03 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I see Flow Limits, Obstructive, and Hypopnea that may be addressed with a higher pressure and/or EPR. The problem I see is if we attempt to address these, the Clear Apnea or Central Apnea events may go up. This elevated CA area is maybe treatment emergent. This translates to temporary because of newness to a CPAP. I have forgotten how long you've used a CPAP/APAP machine. Mostly these should diminish at 3 months after starting APAP therapy.

A question about therapy that will help us guide you. Not referring to the numbers and charts at all, can you tell us how you feel during and after therapy? Does therapy help make you feel better or worse? And how or in what ways is it good or bad?

Dave, more days than not,  I feel much better during my day. I have more energy and a clear mind. Over all well-being is better.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK that's good to hear. If therapy settings stayed where they are now, do you think it is helping? I ask because I think we risk making CA events go up if we address the others. Let us see what other comments are before doing anything. But it is a very good sign that you say it is helping already. Congratulations. You are winning the battle against apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 165 Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 103 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help - OSCAR Data Flspearfisher 2 377 04-11-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Flspearfisher
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 23 1,217 04-11-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 98 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 177 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
  [CPAP] OSCAR import of Viatom/Wellue data - Unsupported O2s Francois1963 0 77 04-09-2024, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Francois1963

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.