Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me understand (CPAP vs. Auto-CPAP)
Please help me understand (CPAP vs. Auto-CPAP)
I am a bit confused by reading information about Auto / CPAP etc. I am using a Resmed S9 Auto on a fixed pressure of 14. My provider suggested the Resmed Elite would be enough for me as the fixed pressure works really well - I found when it was on auto it kept waking me up when it ramped up and caused the mask to get leaks etc. On fixed I sleep through and love it! Do you think I would regret having the Elite or should I invest that bit more and get an auto? I don't really get the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me understand ......
(06-20-2012, 06:03 AM)Ulrika Wrote: I am a bit confused by reading information about Auto / CPAP etc. I am using a Resmed S9 Auto on a fixed pressure of 14. My provider suggested the Resmed Elite would be enough for me as the fixed pressure works really well - I found when it was on auto it kept waking me up when it ramped up and caused the mask to get leaks etc. On fixed I sleep through and love it! Do you think I would regret having the Elite or should I invest that bit more and get an auto? I don't really get the difference.

Hi Ulrika and welcome to the forum. The difference between auto and fixed is that an auto will adjust your pressure to your needs while sleeping. If your needing a higher pressure during the night for some reason an auto will adjust it to compensate where as a fixed will keep at the same pressure all night. There are pro's and cons for both machines but both will do the job.

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
Whats the difference in price. In US it does make sense to get the Autoset as the insurance pay the same amount for either machine and the on-line price difference between Autoset and Elite is only $50 but in Aus is nearly over $400.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought you said you didn't like the auto and the elite is working well. Why would you want to change what's working?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you like straight, single-pressure CPAP, the Elite is fine. But if you want full flexibility, just keep in mind that an Auto-CPAP like the S9 AutoSet can be also set for straight CPAP mode (with a single non-changing pressure). You don't have to run it in auto-mode. So, if you need that added functionality at some point in the future, you'll have it with the S9 AutoSet.

If you have Medicare or Insurance in the U.S., the cost to you and your program is the same: the DME gets reimbursed the exact same amount of money whether you get a CPAP or APAP (Auto-CPAP).

Your DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) has a vested interest in giving you a low-end, standard CPAP, since they can make more profit from it. So you'll have to stand your ground and insist that they give you an APAP if that's what you want. The only difference is that they will make less profit with the auto than with standard CPAP, so you may have to threaten to go to another DME if they don't give you what you want.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'd keep the Autoset. APAPs are like little sleep studies.

Have you tried narrowing the Autoset's range? Meaning, if you do well at a pressure of 15, you could do a low of 12 and a high of 17.

How high did it go when you used it in auto?

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If financing is no problem, then go for the "more then you need right now" autoset. Someday you may need a auto changing pressure PAP or you may want to use the autoset as a "home study" machine to check your pressures.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the Elite data capable? If it's not, that's reason enough not to take it. But either way, even if it is, I'd stay with the auto even if you're set to fixed cpap. That way, if you ever run into issues where you feel a pressure change might be necessary, you can use the auto settings to titrate without going through all the hassle of a new sleep study.

In other words, more is better. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the Auto on a set pressure and I prefer it that way but I did wonder if that auto function might be useful in the future but it is several hundred dollars more and my husband doesn't want to spend more if not needed. The place I go to here in australia, provide help to get the settings right - you can hire a machine for $20 month. I might keep hiring my unit until I am absolutely sure, it is helpful to read other peoples experiences and opinions - thanks for your input!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If the fixed pressure machine is now working well for you, you really don't need the Autoset. If you should experience problems down the road, why not then just rent the Autoset for a month or so, to see if you might need to adjust the pressures on your other machine. A $20 monthly rental fee sounds quite reasonable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 6 142 5 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 502 6 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 219 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 165 Yesterday, 12:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.