Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help me understand (CPAP vs. Auto-CPAP)
RE: Please help me understand ......
(07-09-2013, 06:08 PM)archangle Wrote: 3) Once you get used to the 12 cmH2O, you may feel like you're suffocating at 4 cmH2O. It doesn't "make sense," but many people experience this.

I certainly agree that it happens. One night not too long ago when I was having trouble falling asleep, I tried using the ramp feature again. It was set to start at 4 cmH2O, and I practically ripped the mask off, got up, and spent the next few minutes wide awake adjusting the minimum ramp pressure so that would never happen again.

On the other hand, you are comfortable at 12 cmH2O, suffocating at 4 cmH2O, but fine at 0 cmH2O (ie. no mask).

Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help me understand ......
(07-09-2013, 03:57 PM)RonWessels Wrote: PaulaO2 does a good job of explaining one of the issues with wide open settings. But it's not the whole story....

Thanks a lot for this explanation. It is really helpful!
(07-09-2013, 06:08 PM)archangle Wrote: Why not use auto wide open all the time?

Assume that you need 12 cmH2O pressure, but your machine is set at 4-20...

Thanks a lot for this explanation!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 10 119 57 minutes ago
Last Post: biboombap
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,245 Today, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  CPAP & Ear Problems Steptoe 11 1,506 Today, 04:05 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 5 172 Today, 12:25 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,472 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 158 Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 183 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.