Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help, pressure waking me up at night for past 2 weeks
Please help, pressure waking me up at night for past 2 weeks
I would greatly appreciate some help as I've had trouble sleeping the past few days. I have a Resmed AirSense Auto and I used to have it on Auto / 4-20 / EPR 3 , and I would sleep great through the night for the past 3 years (usually at around 4 - 4.5 on auto, and it would spike if I had an apnea but without waking me. Recently though I've just been getting spooked with how fast its been spiking up in pressure and it wakes me and then it stays up high causing me to have to turn it off and on again, but it just keeps doing this. This has been agonizing and look at the data on Oscar it doesn't make sense to me. My first test I fell asleep and I saw that it spiked to 6 to help compensate for my Resp. Rate(even though it was within healthy range), so I figured maybe my low pressure just isn't high enough, so then I set the pressure to auto 6-20 but then it just goes even higher. On the first time it happened you can see that at 17:40 my Resp Rate dropped which is understandable to it wanting to increase it, but the next 2 times it happens I'm not having any events and my Resp Rate is steady, so why is it going higher? I even got a new Airsense thinking the previous one that was 3 years old was defective(since it would go to level 10 pressure while i was still awake) but now I'm facing a similar issue. I've tried turning off EPR completely thinking that was it but the same issue is still there. Is this thing just defective. (I also checked and it didnt appear this model was in any recall) Please help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help, pressure waking me up at night for past 2 weeks
Looking at your charts I would suggest turning off your calender and having Event flags, Flow rate, Pressure, Leak rate , flow limits up to the top of your chart so that folks here can help you. Hit F12 to take a snap shot of your chart, they will be able to help you better IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is going up because of flow limits, that is without question.

You are not showing two important charts, Events, and yes I know you have very few, but when they occur and what they are is important. The other chart is the flow rate chart. That chart carries tons of info, but it must be viewed in detail to get the most out of it.

My suspicion, based on the FL chart you showed, is that you are causing the obstructive flow limits by tucking your chin. The normal tell is obstructive events being clustered on the events chart. In your case we would need to flood at 3-minute detailed views of the standard charts (Events, flow rate, pressure, flow limits and leaks) to see what the character of the flow limits is.
Post Reply Post Reply
i switched to a dream station and problems seemed to be solved.. store said it was strange the device could really have been defective

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm quite sure the ResMed CPAP was not faulty. I see some areas I believe are positional clusters. If this is the case, no PAP machine has the ability to unkink your airway. I also see that you run the PAP at default pressures of 4-20. At some point this isn't going to work well on the Respironics, as it's got a fatal flaw of being slow to respond to apnea events. And then at some point the Flex at 3 will cause issues as well. You should reconsider the ResMed, as it is a much better PAP. I know it's not all about numbers, but the ResMed had produced an AHI that was about 2 less than the Respironics.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wholeheartedly agree with dave. You have positional apnea and NO Cpap machine can do anything about it. I wish you would’ve posted OSCAR charts like the last one, we could have helped. I also believe the ResMed is a much better machine than the dreamstation. 

Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position where you cut off your own airway. You need to find out WHY you are on that position and stop it.  

Back sleeping may be a problem but you can “chin tuck “ in any position. Chin tucking is when your chin drops to your Sternum cutting off your airway. 

SEE COLLAR LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, as I suspected, you are tucking your chin.

Good advice given above.
Post Reply Post Reply
how do i stop chin tucking?
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at my link on positional Apnea/soft cervical collar wiki. There's proof here of users having positional events, there should be before and after comparisons. The tool to combat this positional Apnea is a soft cervical collar. It's very much like the collar for neck injuries but not a rigid version. Doctors dismiss this as helpful, but as I said we've seen OSCAR data that's night vs day. Some try a lesser expensive version from Walgreens or similar to see if it works, while others order online.

PS it's possible to use a thinner pillow to reduce this, but you'd need to test yourself. Sitting, you can tilt your head towards your chest and note if there's breath restricting. Test while lying down as well. If restricted breathing is notable, then the soft collar would then be a help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks guys, that actually makes a lot of sense, if i go back to when it started happening, it was when i started watching netflix in bed with my wife with the screen in the middle of the bed, thereby tucking my chin.

I will admit the dreamstation still saved my life, because i desperately needed this 1 night of rest at least with REM sleep ( and i dreamt so i know I had it)...

I tried to upload the data you guys wanted but it says I hit my limit of file size and i cant figure out how to remove th eother images...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 130 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Trialing a Dreamstation (2?) for 4 weeks NeedSleepPlease 46 1,488 03-12-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: NeedSleepPlease
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 156 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.