Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help - still completely fatigued
RE: Please help - still completely fatigued
Another possibility is the MTHFR genetic mutation. It takes a blood test, cheek swab, or spit in a tube. It turns out that my husband and I both have a double mutation on that gene, and many in the MTHFR forums have sleep apnea.

It results in the inability to 'methylate' (convert to a usable form) the B vitamins which are necessary for all body systems and especially needed for dealing with stress. Taking folic acid makes it worse (blocks any folate we're getting from food), and folic acid is added to many foods now and is in multiple vitamins. The treatment is simple: over the counter methylated B vitamins. There's lots on the internet about this mutation.

Our extreme exhaustion and stress level is what got us diagnosed, then treated for it. Still had some tiredness after 6 months of treatment, and getting diagnosed with apnea was the final piece of the puzzle. Now we're more normal than we've been in years.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 07:41 AM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: Another possibility is the MTHFR genetic mutation. It takes a blood test, cheek swab, or spit in a tube. It turns out that my husband and I both have a double mutation on that gene, and many in the MTHFR forums have sleep apnea.

It results in the inability to 'methylate' (convert to a usable form) the B vitamins which are necessary for all body systems and especially needed for dealing with stress. Taking folic acid makes it worse (blocks any folate we're getting from food), and folic acid is added to many foods now and is in multiple vitamins. The treatment is simple: over the counter methylated B vitamins. There's lots on the internet about this mutation.

Our extreme exhaustion and stress level is what got us diagnosed, then treated for it. Still had some tiredness after 6 months of treatment, and getting diagnosed with apnea was the final piece of the puzzle. Now we're more normal than we've been in years.

Very interesting. I need to get my stepson tested for 677TT. How did you get tested?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for ideas guys.
Mongo - I am going to request a cardiac work up at my dr appt next week. I don't expect that to be root cause of the problem, but that's what the Dr's are for.

Phyllis - My B levels are good. I have actually improved several deficiencies over the course of the year. There may be more but B & D are both good.

I should probably start a separate thread for this, most of my apneas seem to occur while in REM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 08:21 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 07:41 AM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: Another possibility is the MTHFR genetic mutation. It takes a blood test, cheek swab, or spit in a tube. It turns out that my husband and I both have a double mutation on that gene, and many in the MTHFR forums have sleep apnea.

Very interesting. I need to get my stepson tested for 677TT. How did you get tested?

My husband and I both have the A1298 mutation from both our parents (double mutation), while others have the C677. Our diabetic doctor wanted us to do the test, she sent the blood to a genetic testing lab. I had to pay $79 for mine, his was covered by insurance. Then I paid $99 to 23andMe for a wider genetic testing, which found the mutation as well, plus lots of others, mostly having to do with mess-ups in the detoxification system, which usually goes with the MTHFR mutation. So can't convert B vitamins to a usable form and can't detox properly. All that adds up to illness.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 08:29 AM)marxxx Wrote: Phyllis - My B levels are good. I have actually improved several deficiencies over the course of the year. There may be more but B & D are both good.

The B levels blood test doesn't find it, although I was a bit low in B1 (thiamin). The Bs might be in your blood just fine, but can't be used because they can't be converted. Only the genetic test finds this mutation.

Some indications of possible mutation: chronic diseases, heart issues, heart murmur, miscarriages, diabetes, cancer (especially multiple myloma which is directly linked to it), fibromyalgia, mental conditions or dementia in the family, low vitamin D, thyroid problems, etc. Look for these in the family system as the mutation is inherited. And there are other indications, see the internet for more.

I have/had diabetes, fibromyalgia, low thyroid, depression, low Vit D, miscarriage, heart murmur. In the family we have dementias, cancers, brain tumors, heart attacks and strokes, multiple myloma, diabetes, autism/asperger, emotional problems, apnea and insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]

The B levels blood test doesn't find it, although I was a bit low in B1 (thiamin). The Bs might be in your blood just fine, but can't be used because they can't be converted. Only the genetic test finds this mutation.

[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification, I will talk with the doc about this next week.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 10:17 AM)marxxx Wrote: Thanks for the clarification, I will talk with the doc about this next week.

Many doctors still don't know about it since it's fairly new. My doctor from Phoenix (a big medical complex type state) knew because she went to a conference where it was discussed. Many naturopaths and integrative doctors know, as well as those dealing with autism and problems carrying a baby to term.

Now my doctor tests all her diabetics who have fibromyalgia, low vitamins D or B1, thyroid issues, chronic diseases, or multiple myloma in the family. She's also starting to look for sleep apnea in those with the MTHFR mutation. That's why my husband got tested, then me when I read about the symptoms. And we both have moderate complex apnea.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 07:41 AM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: Now we're more normal than we've been in years.

And here I thought that one had to be abnormal in order to gain entry to the apnea board. Another myth dispelled. Laugh-a-lot

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2014, 11:08 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(10-31-2014, 07:41 AM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: Now we're more normal than we've been in years.

And here I thought that one had to be abnormal in order to gain entry to the apnea board. Another myth dispelled. Laugh-a-lot

I'm sure I could come up with enough abnormalities to make you happy.

Rolleyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like 23andMe is not doing tests right now... some problem with the FDA.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 977 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,817 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
Ohmy 3 years APAP, still fatigued and brainfogged meatwagon42 6 883 11-06-2023, 03:54 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  AHI low but still feel extremely fatigued. saiyangod 5 725 10-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  0.0 AHI - Fragmented Sleep and Waking Fatigued Korgunaard 10 1,381 09-08-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Still fatigued after year of treatment Starrve 13 1,562 07-25-2023, 07:12 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need Help - Constantly Fatigued Tron28 15 1,092 07-18-2023, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Psychotech

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.