Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help to interpret new OSCAR data?
Arrow 
Please help to interpret new OSCAR data?
[I apologize, I need to get something off my chest]
I've finally managed to record my OSCAR data. I've been on CPAP for 1 month (ResMed Autosense 10) with a hybrid mask. I feel no change, and think I sleep slightly worse with it, but I'm able to tolerate it every night. My main gripe is still the same:
I wake up feeling unrefreshed every morning, as if I only got 2 hours of sleep. I'm a super light sleeper. In the past, I would wake suddenly out of breath, what I was calling "adrenaline spikes." I was diagnosed with mild OSA, AHI of 5, and I'm 170 pounds, 38 yr old m. My pressure settings are 5-14, which I suspect is too low, even though my doctor said my settings are where they should be.

This condition I have (whether it's the apnea or something else) has completely ruined my life. My short and long term memory are terrible, I've started getting high blood pressure which I've never had before. My anxiety is so bad, and I feel like such garbage daily, that I no longer do anything social, and spend all my time resting at home. Even going to the store requires a lot of "recharge" time. I have terrible brain fog, I mess up things all the times, I have such low energy that I can't leave the house unless I need to (for work or food). For Christmas, I saw my parents for 3 days, and needed a week just to recover/recharge from that. I put on a "mask" when I'm around people, to pretend like I'm all good and everything is fine. But I'm miserable and it's completely ruined my life.

I don't snore, and was super disappointed in my sleep study to find I had an AHI of 5. But the night of my sleep study was one of the worse sleeps I've ever had, I felt like I only slept 1 hour, I was uncomfortable and waking every hour. I suspect that I have UARS. But even last night's OSCAR data doesn't show hardly any hypopneas. I think my lower jaw is super loose, and I'll wake up feeling a lot of "give" in my jaw. When I'm lying on my back, I can feel my jaw/pallet loosen. When I push my lower jaw forward, I feel I can breath in twice as much. I used to sing, and in the last few years, I've found my singing capacity is severely limited. I once took some sort of lung capacity test at a clinic, and was supposed to breathe a level of 600 for my age/weight but I only managed 400. That doctor suspected I had asthma, which was a wrong diagnosis.

Could someone look at this data and help interpret them for me? My sleep doctor says according to her data, I'm doing great, my numbers look good, and she said "your apnea is cured!" But I definitely don't feel it, and thought maybe her numbers were giving a false rosy picture of my reality. Any help would be really appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help to interpret new OSCAR data?
Something to request is the detailed sleep study report. You need this in your personal health file and you should post a redacted version here. There's info in there that may clue is in on your Apnea. HIPAA law will permit your request to yield this report.

I'm not certain what exactly your Apnea problems would be, but I'd suggest if you're trying EPR 3, it'll work much better if you start at Min pressure of 7 to give this EPR room to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply. Should I post my sleep study in this post as a reply, or do I upload it to my account on here?

And I don't know what EPR 3 is. But I've suspected that a higher min pressure of 6, or 7, or 8 would be more beneficial than the 5 that I'm at. My sleep doctor disagrees.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is exhale pressure relief, it drops pressure by the EPR setting of 1-3.

Post the sleep study here within the thread as either screenshots or a file attachment. Redact personal info. And this needs to be a detailed multiple page report not a summary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you hardly had enough apnea in your sleep test to be diagnosed and your treated ahi is stellar. you have slightly higher than desirable flow limitations but not so high as to expect them to be a problem, although you may be super sensitive to them. try Dave's suggestion to get more benefit from epr3. 

meanwhile, notice the spikey, hairbrushy flow rate graph. something is affecting your breathing and probably causing (micro) arousals. set the view scale slider at the bottom of the oscar daily/events tab to 10 minutes and scroll through your flow rate looking for anything that resembles the pattern in the screenshot attached to this post. if you don't see anything like it, we can rule out periodic limb movement. also, check your sleep study full report to see if it reports leg movements. it might show up in the summary report you probably received but critical details are often omitted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2021, 06:18 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: EPR is exhale pressure relief, it drops pressure by the EPR setting of 1-3.

Post the sleep study here within the thread as either screenshots or a file attachment. Redact personal info. And this needs to be a detailed multiple page report not a summary.

I've attached my redacted sleep study. I still feel skeptical that the sleep lab got good data, since my sleep was absolutely terrible, waking up constantly and having super light sleep. Please let me know if you see something in my sleep study. I appreciate it. My sleep study AHI was 6.3, with the highest during REM which was 25.1

I tried several times to upload this as a pdf and it kept giving me an error on here saying that type of file isn't allowed. Strange, so here are the screenshots, and in my next post.

Rest of my sleep study...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
the good news is it doesn't look like we can pin the blame for your complaints on plm. the bad news is the same as it'd be nice to quickly identify a potential reason for your symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 31 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 105 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 402 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.