Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with dealing with central apnoeas due to CPAP
RE: Please help with dealing with central apnoeas due to CPAP
If you're dealing with apnea clusters, the collar is the best bet. A flatter pillow can make a difference, but the results are better with the collar. Maybe look up the Corflex Ultra Collar. A member here did a write up and he liked it as the results were instantly better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the Corflex and the Releaf.

The Releaf is more comfortable, and was enough to make an immediate difference for me. I don’t yet know whether it will break down too quickly. It is effectively a 3” collar, because the bottom portion is designed to fold out a bit.

The Corflex is more supportive, but less comfortable. It is taller and firmer than the Releaf. I haven’t tried sleeping with it yet.

So far, I’m sleeping better with the Releaf than I have in months.

I previously used the Eliminator for a while. It uses very firm foam with little jaw contour, so it is uncomfortable and tends to rotate some during the night.

The gold standard chin strap is the Knightsbridge. Many here love it. I have one, and it will keep your jaw closed. It still didn’t prevent mouth leaks for me, or chin tucks.

I have tried a buckwheat pillow, a My Pillow, and others. They may help a little if you can stay in one position (preferably on your side) all night. If you move around, they won’t really help much, and may be counterproductive.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have had some good advice from people that have the same problem. I want you to read the following wiki articles:
Positional apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Both show actual examples of positional apnea and the approach to resolving it. As much as I'd like to tell you a pillow will work, my experience has been that it usually takes a properly fitted collar. There is a link to some good collar reviews in the SCC wiki. I think that is your best path forward. While it sounds uncomfortable, many members have found it resolves feeling tired and stops these events. If you look around the forum, you will be surprised how many are using this tool.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much! I have read both articles.
Just bought a futuro 3M one from the local pharmacy so will try it tonight.
Will buy a releaf one as well. The futuro needs to be tight to prevent chin tuck.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Releaf needs to be close to the neck for me, but it doesn’t need to be tight. I put it on sitting up or standing with my head up and neck straight. I pull it just to snug and then release VERY slightly. I’m going for little to no slack, but no pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
A huge thank you to everyone on the board!
Look at these numbers! All the clustered OA AND CA events are gone! Just in time for me to work 12 hour shift today Smile
Maybe, I should reduce the max pressures then!

Thanks re the advice on the Releaf. Ordered it yesterday and will try it when I get it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can try a small reduction if you like. This latest got to 13 Max, but I'd only advise dropping max pressure you're set at if it is disturbing sleep. Otherwise charts did get cleaned up a lot with the collar.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this!
I forgot to insert my SD card last night Sad
I had AHI 1.9, with 1.5 of them being CAs.
Average pressure 11.9
I wonder if reducing EPR would be a good idea in this case since CAs are now down?
EPR to 1?
I know there is a bit of debate about this.
Chen
Post Reply Post Reply
A low level of CA events like yours is generally less disruptive to sleep than flow limitations and the respiratory effort that goes with them. Reducing EPR will likely increase flow limitation. Whether that is subjectively a better or worse sleep quality is entirely your call. If you make the reduction, it's more a matter of how the change feels to you, not whether the numbers improve. Give it a try, and make a judgement before you look at the data, then see if the data confirms your sense of better or worse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,
Thanks for your advice!
I ended up not changing any setting and seeing what happens.

Look at this result! It is amazing. It is the best result I have had while using CPAP!
The great thing is that I am not waking up so often during the night. Previously, I would wake up 4-5 times at night. Possibily from a cluster of OSA, high pressures or what but after the collar, everything settled down and I feel great!

Thank you so much everybody!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,661 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,550 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 188 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,032 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 610 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 265 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.