Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with high leak rate
Please help with high leak rate
I am trying out the p30i.  I have a problem keeping my mouth closed, I have tried cervical collars and numerous chin straps.  I have recently started taping my mouth to try and reduce the leaks.  I used the mask last night with mouth taping.  I slept really well and was very surprised when I got up that the angry red face showed up.  I did not feel any air escaping and was not disturbed at all during the night.  I am wearing the large pillow size which actually fits really well.  Another thing I was surprised is if my leak rate was so high how come my pressure did not raise to a higher level when the machine detected excessive  leaks?  I have my max pressure set to 16.2 and the max pressure only reached 15.12 why?
Any other recommendations would be helpful as I really do like this mask.  I usually use a full face mask but would like to try a less restrictive  mask.  
I have been using Somnifix tape.  Another question is why when I use a mask other than a full face mask I always see my 95% pressures and my tidal volume always much lower using a pillow mask?
Thanks everyone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please help with high leak rate
I had high leaks with pillow masks. The P30i and P10. The tape was sealed properly so that wasn’t the problem. The problem after much trial and error was the medium cushions were starving me of air but the large cushions were too big to properly seal. Unfortunately I’m right in the middle and can’t use them even though the P10 was dead simple and hoped it would work. I had the same problem with the F30i, medium too small,  small wide too big so I’m back to the F30 permanently it’s looks like. Not that I’m complaining too much cause it’s a great mask.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Osiris357.  The thing is the large nasal pillow fits so well and the p30i for me was quiet especially the front vent. 
Hopefully some other people can give me advice on my issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest thing that helped me was a very good chin strap that had the chin part go over the head and the other part going round the back of the head, This way both straps for the chin strap stopped the mask from moving, hook the part at the back of the head below the part of the chin strap and the part going over the head in front of the chin strap.  This almost solved all my leaks, I still get the odd one, but not enough to affect thing a lot.
But with any mask you will get some leaks, and the odd bad night where it does not matter what you do the mask will insist in leaking!
Then there is the odd night where you thought you had a good night and the machine say NO!  It will say you had a bad night as far a sleeping, leaks and events go, but as long as they are odd nights, I have learned to ignore them.
As long as you feel a lot better and not tired, that is what counts at the end of the day.
Download Oscar and take a look, but I think you have already done this.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought it fit well also but upon looking at OSCAR, no so much. I was very diligent in checking for air leaks before falling asleep in all positions. But after waking up I would have an average of 18 to 20 leak. No idea why. My conclusion was it must be leaking from the pillows cause the tape wasn’t coming up anywhere. My suggestion would be to do the same. Check for leaks in all sleeping positions before falling asleep. Because if your tape is good it must be coming from the pillows themselves.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Osiris, how do you check in all positions with the mask fit?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I’ll purposely go from my left and right without being to careful about the hose because you wouldn’t be while asleep. The hose can still get caught on the mattress and /or pillow. I always see if I can stomach sleep with a mask also. That was my preferred position before PAP. I also see what position my head has to be in on my side to prevent leaks and how easy it is to cause a leak. 

All that may seem like overkill but IMO it’s worth the effort for a great nights sleep. Over time as you get to know what the mask will do you’ll drop many of the steps and just put it on and go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Osiris, does anyone have any other ideas on the specific questions I posted?
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change the mask-type setting on your machine? And did you get a fit pack? If so, have you tried a size up or down? Do you notice any differences in sleep position or hose management that might possibly be relevant?

About Somnifix: I use it and rely on it. Most nights it give me a perfect mouth seal, but occasionally I don't purse my lips enough before I stick the strip on, and I will get annoying leaks at the corners of my mouth or get saliva-induced loose spots. -- That said, your leaks don't look as though that kind of thing was the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo, yes I did get the fit pack and the large size seemed to fit the best.  Will try again tonight and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 100 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.