Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with high leak rate
RE: Please help with high leak rate
I am posting results from last night.  I tried both the medium and large cushions and I still got a high leak rate.  I also used a cervical collar every night and taped my mouth very well.  Again I was not disturbed by the leaks and again was very surprised at how many leaks are reported by Oscar.  Again my question is if the machine detected all these high leaks why did the machine not raise pressure to compensate.  As you can see my 95% max pressure only went as high as 15.28.  I know when I used my full face mask if I have a leak the pressure usually hits the maximum.  
Any help would be appreciated as I really do like the p30i mask and it seems comfortable.  
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The machines can't compensate for large leaks by raising pressure. The system is no longer sufficiently closed for that to work.

Have you tried running Mask Fit? It will raise the pressure way high so you can try to figure out where the mask may not be fitting quite right.

But the problem may be that the mask moves as you move around at night. Does that seem likely to you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response Dormeo.  Yes before I fell asleep I checked the mask fit in several sleeping positions and everything was good.  I don't feel like the mask is moving around at all and I am at a loss what to do concerning these high leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
a shot in the dark. since your pressure barely moves it might be that your leaks aren't caused by high pressure so much as sleep stage. idk if leaks contribute to compacted flow rate or vice versa but they appear to be associated in your chart. I know that most of my leaks are lip leaks that occur when I manage to reach deeper sleep & muscles are the most relaxed. I often wake to dry mouth on my back, which goes along with deeper sleep for me. fit testing while awake is necessary but may not be the same conditions as when you are asleep so trying other masks may still be necessary. if you notice problems sleeping supine, there are methods to discourage that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for responding sheepless.  If you look at the flow rate data it seems to me that the flow limitations are low imo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yankees123 you are having the exact same problem I have with pillows. I wish I didn’t cause I would use the P10 or P30i. But because of the leaks seemingly out of nowhere I’m bound to the F30. I can’t complain much though, it’s comfortable and I have an unobstructed view to the tv as I fall asleep.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Osiris, it’s just so strange.  When I use my f20 and if the mask leaks I am very aware of it.  However when I use the p30i I am not aware at all of the leaks until I get up and see the red angry face in the morning.  So wish I could solve this problem.  I woke up the past two days and my mouth was still taped shut well but my mouth was very dry.  Does that make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
not sure I understand your reference to flow limitations. by compacted flow rate I was thinking of what I assume is indicative of rem sleep. relatively even lower volume breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got it sheepless, however if it was from rem sleep should I still see such significant leaks all night?  Seems to me I should still have good times with out getting such an excessive leak rate all night.  Maybe I am not fully understanding.
Post Reply Post Reply
well, could be me not understanding! while leaks over the red line occurred throughout the night, they didn't occur all night. they appear to more than loosely correspond to those areas in the flow rate that might indicate deeper sleep. regardless, the 'solutions' are probably the same.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 11 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.