Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with high leak rate
RE: Please help with high leak rate
Understand your explanation, will hope someone else can shed some advice on my leak problem.  Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine will not raise pressure for leaks, It raises flow to maintain pressure, that is until it cannot (LL).
Assuming that the tape was still tightly affixed in the morning it is not a mouth leak, that leaves a mask seal leak or a rather unusual possibility of a joint leak or other leaks in the pressure delivery system (cat tried to eat your hose or something like that). It is possible that your nares have a shape that does not easily seal with the P30 mask. Are the P30 cushions "old" or "new". Mine (P10) tend to lose their seal at about 6-8+ weeks and replacing them with new cushions fixes it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fred for your response.  The mask and cushions are only a few days old and checking my hose everything looks fine with no holes.  I was using a f20 mask before this.  I wanted to try the nasal pillows because I feel so much better with less bulk on my face with the p30i mask.   I will try again tonight and see how it goes.  
A question,when using a nasal pillow compared to a full face mask it seems at least my results show that my flow limitations are much better.  Also I have noticed that my tidal volume and 95% pressure is lower than with my full face mask.  Is this to be expected?
Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your mouth is very dry, I wonder whether you are tearing open the little slit in the middle of the Somnifix strips. You might check tomorrow morning. But I'd be surprised if that could cause as much leakage as you're seeing.

One other thought: could there be a problem somewhere between the mask and the machine, such that in some positions it is OK and in others a gap opens??
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo I actually thought the same as you concerning the Somnifix but it was intact. Can’t see anything as far as any issues between the mask and the machine.  
Can you explain what Fred meant when he said that the machine doesn’t raise pressure when there is a leak but raises the flow to maintain the pressure?  Not sure exactly what that means.  
When I used my full face mask and had a leak it seemed that the pressure actually was increasing at the time of the leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think we need Fred back! I hope he'll stop by.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I tried again to wear the p30i last night.  Again I taped my mouth really well.  As you can see from the Oscar report the leak rate was extremely high.  Again I slept well and was not aware of the leaks and the tape seemed  secure in the morning.  
Is there a way to determine if the leaks are mask or mouth leaks from the data?  If anyone has any advice to reduce the excessive leaks  it would be appreciated otherwise maybe I need to go back to my ffm.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Just checking in if someone has any advice for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the p30i and like the mask.  Unfortunately those side air delivery tubes tend to move the mask pillows when I sleep on my side.  Last night I was at a sleep clinic and we started off with the p30i.  After the tech had to wake me a few times to try to fix leaks, he changed the mask to a full face mask, the Fisher & Paykel Simplus.  Surprising, to me, that felt great and worked flawlessly.  Brought it home and will try it again tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's physics, simple physics.

The purpose of a CPAP, any model, is to hold a constant pressure.  The Auto machines vary that constant pressure based on the history of events and their algorithm.  

Given a closed system one with a fixed known leak (Mask Vent), a given Flow will be constant.
Add an additional leak, To maintain constant pressure the blower must produce additional flow to make up for the leak and maintain the same constant pressure.  When the leak is so large that the blower is not capable of keeping up with it and maintaining constant pressure, the pressure will reduce.

This is just the basic fundamentals that all CPAPs utilize to treat obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 17 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.