Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please help with treatment review
RE: Please help with treatment review
Thanks for asking.
However, I've tried about 10. None were good. I'm claustrophobic. None lasted more than 2 hours....until I tried the ResMed F20? However, I had severe leakage problems. I never tried the alternative seal.
At that time I got a new mask every 6 months or so; there was no coverage for replacement seals.
Now benefits aren't being paid, even though they say I have benefit coverage on work insurance.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish I could wear a full face mask.

This is with my nasal mask. N20 by ResMed. Cleary I mouth breath.
I didn't use a Dakota wedge, PapCap or chin strap.
I didn't sleep with a pillow. Reason: I am trying to see whether using a pillow closes my airway....I don't know what that is called.

Night before last I used my PapCap which has a chinstrap. I woke up and couldn't see. The 'cap had slipped down over my eyes. I couldn't see at all when I woke up. Scary!
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Arggghhh....rolled the wrong way and pulled my cpap off the night stand. Hurt my back trying to rescue it!
It's ok...
Rearranged the night stand so it won't (I hope!) happen again.
First time in over 30 years.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 05:17 AM)DaveL Wrote: I wish I could wear a full face mask.

The cushion for the full face mask that I use (Simplus) is not much bigger than the nasal mask I used to wear. If it's been a while since you had that claustrophobia with the full face masks you might try it again. I know that you are a long time CPAPer but it is possible that you have adapted and can now tolerate what you formerly couldn't.

I'm not trying to push it on you or anything, but I had leak rate graphs that looked like yours when I wore a nasal mask. When I finally gave in and switched to a FFM I found I could tolerate it even though as a newbie I couldn't even tolerate a nasal mask and had to switch to pillows; but I also found that I was getting much better quality sleep.

I think the leaks not only compromised the therapy, they also kept waking me up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good advice; I tried FFM's before my last sleep study. I shall try again.
I used a Breeze mask in the beginning of my therapy. Nasal pillows. I used to wake up to check for leaks. I always found some.so I woke up more.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Someone used this as a title, and it really applies to me: "What I don't know I don't know"

Last night was a rough night. Early to bed...second pee break about 4:00 am. Then I couldn't sleep. My OSCAR download shows central apneas after that.

I don't know how central apneas are treated! Frankly, I don't know what they are.

My AHI was approximately 2.6 for last night. Information is at home, on my desktop there.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
A central apnea event happens when there's no obstruction in your airway but you stop breathing anyhow. These can be a cause for concern when they happen regularly while you are asleep; they indicate that your neurologically governed regulation of respiration and CO2 levels in the blood is not working as it should.

But what you're describing sounds different. When we're awake, we breathe much less regularly than we do when we're asleep, and often we don't draw a breath for a bit, then start again. So if you were awake, or semi-awake, and showing CA flags, they can almost certainly be ignored. I get them when I'm half awake and turning over to resettle myself. I apparently hold my breath while I do this, even though I'm not entirely aware of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
simply put, centrals are treated in one of 3 ways, 
1. with a very advanced and expensive machine known as an Adaptive Servo Ventilator.  It works by responding during the event before the breath completes by applying as mush PS as it needs very rapidly.
2. with other machines, such as yours,  by literally avoiding the occurrence of central apneas by reducing pressure support, and or pressure.
3. by increasing the amount of CO2 that is rebreathed, such as with the EERS treatment.  (I think I got that right)
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo--thanks
(09-18-2019, 03:35 PM)Dormeo Wrote: A central apnea event happens when there's no obstruction in your airway but you stop breathing anyhow.  These can be a cause for concern when they happen regularly while you are asleep; they indicate that your neurologically governed regulation of respiration and CO2 levels in the blood is not working as it should.

But what you're describing sounds different.  When we're awake, we breathe much less regularly than we do when we're asleep, and often we don't draw a breath for a bit, then start again.  So if you were awake, or semi-awake, and showing CA flags, they can almost certainly be ignored.  I get them when I'm half awake and turning over to resettle myself.  I apparently hold my breath while I do this, even though I'm not entirely aware of it.

Thanks; helps a lot.
This morning was much better. I feel better rested.

I made sure:
* Took my meds (water pill) early in the morning. I had forgotten that day, and took it late afternoon. Lesson learned.
* Went to bed a more normal time. 10:30 or a little later
* Took better care of my mask. Washed the insert thoroughly. Better seal.
* Wore my best chinstrap. I can't buy them anymore, and this one is stretched. It could be better.

Result:
* one washroom break
* significant mouth breathing several times. I know; I'll try a full face mask again when I can arrange a loaner. Claustrophobic...
* Perfect score when I downloaded to OSCAR early this morning. 0.0 (screenshot is on my desktop)
* I feel more rested!
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bonjour!
(09-18-2019, 04:35 PM)bonjour Wrote: simply put, centrals are treated in one of 3 ways, 
1. with a very advanced and expensive machine known as an Adaptive Servo Ventilator.  It works by responding during the event before the breath completes by applying as mush PS as it needs very rapidly.
2. with other machines, such as yours,  by literally avoiding the occurrence of central apneas by reducing pressure support, and or pressure.
3. by increasing the amount of CO2 that is rebreathed, such as with the EERS treatment.  (I think I got that right)

When I can't get back to sleep, my mind simply races. I can't stop thinking!

Question...
Lung capacity and breathing--is this age related? Is it compromised by using a cpap machine every day for over 30 years?

I know that I get into flight/fright mode often. Many years ago I watched a series of episodes by a guru named Eli Bay

I just searched for him and he has videos. He's still going strong. Less hair!  He had a show on tvOntario and I was so impressed with his knowledge and presentation. That was the Ontaro PBS of the time.

I had no issues with centrals last night!

Stress, and my inability to handle it/dissipate it is an issue for me.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 18 650 9 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  [CPAP] OSCAR Data Review for New User goodfella7763 3 210 04-15-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: goodfella7763
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 172 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 134 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 151 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 244 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar review please SleepyJeff 1 179 04-04-2024, 06:33 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.