Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please offer advice
RE: Please offer advice
(12-29-2012, 08:07 PM)kayla Wrote: hunningsedaniel -how do I change my profile? i am sorry I seem like a ditz but cant think straight.
anyway it is a resmed9 auto -and I live in Canada,where in some provinces they cover apnea but not in mine,it is a $ driven industry and that's okay but the dr gets paid by healthcare.Not sure why any dr would do this ,,the respirologist said cannot change pressure w/o dr and that it was a good guess between 14 and 19 ? this is an awful palce to live if one has health problems.I see the manuel but am unsure if i should change pressure or how to really.I am so tired,thinking that I should stop using c-pap for a night or two? any advice is welcome.However I do remember waking up gasping for air with out it.do you need more info from me?
Hi Kayla. Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Looks like you are getting good info from everyone. If your machine is set for 14 in the cpap mode, I would change it to the auto mode and open the settings up to 4-20 and set the pressure support to 4. This will allow the machine to find the pressure you need and keep the Ipap and Epap pressures within 4 cmH2O of each other. This means that if you need 14 when you inhale, then the pressure when you exhale will be 10. This is a pretty comfortable setting. I too am overweight and pushing 60 years old. I have been using these settings for over 5 years and they work great for me. I understand your frustration and can tellyou that it is very hard until you get educated because the you will find that the doctors and the RT's only want your money. The more times you have to go back to them. the more money they make. Any cpap supplier on the internet can get you filters. they are inexpensive and you should always have an extra one on hand. I hope this helps you a little and good luck. Don't be afraid of your machine. It is there to help you. OkaySleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the clinician manual and figure it out. If you learn it on your own, vs doing what we tell you, it will stick better. You get the clinician manual in the files section.

Or here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2012, 07:31 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 07:16 PM)kayla Wrote: I could use some advice here,if anyone can help.
I saw a sleep dr in May2012 and had a short take home test.I was waking up gasping for air,and really struggling.
I am obese,and I was given ativan years ago and am planning to decrease in Jan with the help of my GP.I am older 58yrs.
So nothing is covered in my country and i have no insurance.So I did not have an overnight sleep study.
I did buy the machine and the dr just said we should set it at 14.That was in May.
Then I was sent to some therapists who felt sorry for me,and helped some with the mask and adjustments.
During the first 3 months I GAINED 30 pounds.My stomache bloated to abnormal pregnacy size. Its horrible.(I read the air posts on here.)'
But the 14 pressure I just cant breathe and I still wake up short of breath.
I tried a c-pap pillow, I tried a heated hose.I called the sleep dr and got an appointment to pay for a study and ask for help to lower pressure.NO ONE WILL LOWER PRESSURE. so here i am a year later left at same pressure.
The people helping me say its treating my apnea but they cant get much form the resmed machine,they like resporinics.for data.But I feel like i am dying ,sorry but i do.
So before Christmas the respirologist rented me a bipap machine,said he felt sorry for me but all of this is just a GUESS.A guess???
The bipap makesmy mouth dry and they told me not to tell sleep dr,about using it.
I am sooo confused ....why would anyone guess and just leave me at the same pressure.?
I am almost afraid to go to sleep.and I am afraid to use the bipap.The sleep dr just yelled at me in May,DONT COMPLAIN.I dont have much choice here but have thought to reduce my pressure on my own but I dont know how.Is this a wise idea?and how can I do this?

I feel awful every day,I am sorry to ask but I am desperate.My stomache hurts so bad.My teeth are rotting form the dry mouth( have a humidifier but it runs out of water in just 2 hrs.On the c-pap I can sleep for 4 hrs and my mouth is alwys open ,I tried tapin it shut,I tried the band to keep it shut,AM i DOING SOMETHING WRONG HERE?
I feel I cannot carry on.
Please if you have any advice I would be grateful.I cannot see the dr until jan 30-have thought about stopping the c-pap altogether but am unsure of that.I am so lost.
thank you
kayla
Hi Kayla. welcome to the forum. Is your machine a ResMed S9 autoset or a ResMed auto vpap? Either way, you can get the clinicians manual for the S9 series from the private links section of the Main Board. You need to update your profile with the exact machine that you have. Look next to the power button and see what it says. It is easier for someone to help you if they know what you have.

[/quote]
Thank you I washed the filter but cannot figure out how to set the machine to auto or if it is on auto.I will download the manuel,and see -you are so right -these people just want money, imagine not telling me the machine has a filter -and no manual to go with it.I will try the manual and see if it is on auto -then just leave it till see the dr.
I see that this machine is not a toy and must be careful....
thank you for helping -all of you so kind
Kayla

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 06:37 AM)hunningsedaniel Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 08:07 PM)kayla Wrote: hunningsedaniel -how do I change my profile? i am sorry I seem like a ditz but cant think straight.
anyway it is a resmed9 auto -and I live in Canada,where in some provinces they cover apnea but not in mine,it is a $ driven industry and that's okay but the dr gets paid by healthcare.Not sure why any dr would do this ,,the respirologist said cannot change pressure w/o dr and that it was a good guess between 14 and 19 ? this is an awful palce to live if one has health problems.I see the manuel but am unsure if i should change pressure or how to really.I am so tired,thinking that I should stop using c-pap for a night or two? any advice is welcome.However I do remember waking up gasping for air with out it.do you need more info from me?
Hi Kayla. Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Looks like you are getting good info from everyone. If your machine is set for 14 in the cpap mode, I would change it to the auto mode and open the settings up to 4-20 and set the pressure support to 4. This will allow the machine to find the pressure you need and keep the Ipap and Epap pressures within 4 cmH2O of each other. This means that if you need 14 when you inhale, then the pressure when you exhale will be 10. This is a pretty comfortable setting. I too am overweight and pushing 60 years old. I have been using these settings for over 5 years and they work great for me. I understand your frustration and can tellyou that it is very hard until you get educated because the you will find that the doctors and the RT's only want your money. The more times you have to go back to them. the more money they make. Any cpap supplier on the internet can get you filters. they are inexpensive and you should always have an extra one on hand. I hope this helps you a little and good luck. Don't be afraid of your machine. It is there to help you. OkaySleep-well
Hi I wondered if you could help -i got into the menu maximum pressure is set to 20 -min to 14 and the ramp is 5 mins,
epr -fulltime?
epr pressure-3
and start pressure-5--
This is what its set at so I guess the dr just guessed min14-to 20.
I am unsure of whatt his means and havent changed anything.
nay ideas if this might be too high?
Ty
Kayla

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (exhale pressure relief) full time means it is on for the ramp, too.
EPR 3 means when you exhale, the pressure drops by 3. So if the pressure is 12, you inhale 12, exhale 9.
Start pressure is where the ramp starts. You push the button and it starts at 5 then slowly increases for however long you have it set for to reach the minimum pressure set. So if you have the ramp for 30 minutes, it starts at 5 and increases over those 30 minutes until it gets to 14.

We don't know if it is too high or too low because you have not given us any data. Have you tried downloading the data and looking at the numbers?

You can also see daily records by pressing down the "i" button (top one of the two silver rectangular buttons). Just tap it. You can see there what the AHI was for that session. You can see further information by holding the "i" button and the other rectangular button down at the same time for about 3 seconds. Turn the knob to see the sleep quality report.

If your AHI is good (less than 5), then the pressure is fine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2012, 12:20 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: EPR (exhale pressure relief) full time means it is on for the ramp, too.
EPR 3 means when you exhale, the pressure drops by 3. So if the pressure is 12, you inhale 12, exhale 9.
Start pressure is where the ramp starts. You push the button and it starts at 5 then slowly increases for however long you have it set for to reach the minimum pressure set. So if you have the ramp for 30 minutes, it starts at 5 and increases over those 30 minutes until it gets to 14.

We don't know if it is too high or too low because you have not given us any data. Have you tried downloading the data and looking at the numbers?

You can also see daily records by pressing down the "i" button (top one of the two silver rectangular buttons). Just tap it. You can see there what the AHI was for that session. You can see further information by holding the "i" button and the other rectangular button down at the same time for about 3 seconds. Turn the knob to see the sleep quality report.

If your AHI is good (less than 5), then the pressure is fine.

okay I can do that ,I havent downloaded data ,not sure I quite understand how to download the data.I will look to see if it is 5.
you know the respirologist who feels sorry for me should know this,but says he doesnt know much about these machines ,only respironics type.He says there isnt enough data.I think they just want to sell me a different machine.
He justt looks at the chip thing and says it seems ok.It is disheartening.
And I feel stupid.I need to take some control or find some one who deals with my machine.
I am so tired of waking up short of breath so tired of it all.
But will try this and I thank you for your help.It is so much appreciated.
I will try to see if I can find some data.
Kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2012, 11:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There are two programs you can use to view the data on your machine. There is ResScan and SleepyHead, both available here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Kayla,

You cannot view the data from your machine until you install one of the two programs above, so the first step is to download and install one of them.

ResScan runs only on Windows computers and has a couple quirks to get it installed. At the same time there are versions of SleepyHead for just about any computer, plus it is marginally more popular here, so that is what I recommend that you start with.

Go to the links Paula mentioned above and download the program. Follow the instructions to install it. if you have trouble, post back or ask a local friend to help you get it installed.

You absolutely must get the software running before you can optimize your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2012, 11:55 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: It would probably be best to wash the filter and re-use, but the machine can be used without the filter; just remember that all of the dust, etc. that would have been caught by the filter will be going through the machine, hose, mask and into you. It is air you would normally be breathing anyway and your body has ways of dealing with that, but the machine doesn't and after an extended period of time could get fairly dirty inside. Probably not a good idea to run it for very many nights without a filter. If necessary, it's better to run it without a filter than to sleep without it.

The manufacturers say it will damage the machine to use it without a filter. I presume the problem is slowly accumulating dust in the machine and a few nights won't be too bad. If it were me, I'd use the machine without a filter if I were stuck without one, but I'd order new filters right away.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Go to the links Paula mentioned above and download the program. Follow the instructions to install it. if you have trouble, post back or ask a local friend to help you get it installed.

You absolutely must get the software running before you can optimize your treatment.
[/quote]

Thank you I did wash the filter,and I am sorry to say I dont have a friend here to help but will try to download the software.I am sure there may be a place here to buy filters.I also need to find a respirologist that at least cares enough to assist me with this.
You are all very kind and helpful.I still feel awful but it may be the flu or something.
Could a year old filter make me ill?
I tried not using my machine,it was worse.
You are so right, one cannot take an active role in their treatment if one doesnt pay attention and learn.I am learning and appreciative of all of our help.
I am going to try to download the sleepyhead one.and if i run into trouble I will post.
Kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2012, 09:29 PM)kayla Wrote: You are so right, one cannot take an active role in their treatment if one doesnt pay attention and learn.I am learning and appreciative of all of our help.
I am going to try to download the sleepyhead one.and if i run into trouble I will post.

Kayla, check your private messages for further information about SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 Yesterday, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 722 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,768 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.