Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please offer advice
RE: Please offer advice
Hi kayla and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with your CPAP therapy right now but I just encourage you to stick with it. You've gotten great suggestions so far but hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Try washing the filter then putting it back in.

I wouldn't advise changing the pressure without taking a good look at the data. Is your machine set to Auto 14-19?
Post Reply Post Reply
[link removed]

link for flexifit mask

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
for some reason I am having trouble replying.are you sure cant use machine without filter? the filter is filthy.
I think it is set on auto ,its what they told me and then it responds to my apnea events.
I will try not to give up.
Thank you all for your help.
you are so nice,
kayla
Post Reply Post Reply
good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Or if they did, I missed it.

There are two programs you can use to view the data on your machine. There is ResScan and SleepyHead, both available here.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Download both of them and see which you prefer. Some use one, some use the other, some use both. The idea here is to gain control over your own health and to start that, you need to educate yourself. Obviously no one else has helped you where you are if they never told you to change the filter. Nor did you read the manual, if they even gave you one.

Take a look at the data and see what it is telling you. How long are the events? Do they happen the same time as leaks? What kind of events? What time of night?

We also have a Wiki for this board. Start at the main page and explore, learning more about your condition.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It would probably be best to wash the filter and re-use, but the machine can be used without the filter; just remember that all of the dust, etc. that would have been caught by the filter will be going through the machine, hose, mask and into you. It is air you would normally be breathing anyway and your body has ways of dealing with that, but the machine doesn't and after an extended period of time could get fairly dirty inside. Probably not a good idea to run it for very many nights without a filter. If necessary, it's better to run it without a filter than to sleep without it.

Hold down the two buttons next to the screen (one has an "I" on it and the other has two checkmarks) for about three seconds, this will take you to the clinician's info page. Turn the knob one click counterclockwise, this should show you some statistics. At the top of the screen you will see a time frame that can be changed. Click the knob and turn till that timeframe is highlighted. Click the knob again and you can change the timeframe of the statistics then click it again to set. Now look at "pressure". This will be the average pressure the machine has to use to deal with your events. This will give you some idea of what your machine is doing while you are asleep. I would strongly suggest making sure your "sleep quality" data setting is set to "on". You can do this by entering clinical settings (hold down the button with two checkmarks and the knob button for about three seconds). Then download SleepyHead or ResScan to your computer and import the data. I highly recommend that you learn what the data means and have a good understanding of what is going on before you even consider changing your own pressure settings. If your pressure is already set to 14-20, then that's a pretty good range for an auto. The only reason to change that would be to fine tune your therapy, or if 14 is so high that your machine just stays at 14 all night and you aren't having any Obstructive Apneas or Hypopneas. You could still be having Clear Airway Apneas and lowering the pressure would be warranted, but you have to have the data to know that. If you are having Obstructive events, then lowering the minimum pressure would probably only make you have more of those events. On an AutoSet you should be able to see if you are having Central AIs on the Clinical info page. If you are having many of these, you should talk to your Doctor about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2012, 09:39 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Try washing the filter then putting it back in.

I wouldn't advise changing the pressure without taking a good look at the data. Is your machine set to Auto 14-19?
Thank you how can I tell if it's set for auto 14-19 ? If i press the menu buttons and first review the s9 manual,I should be able to tell right?
They told me it was set to respond to my apnea events but all I feel is this huge pressure and the difficulty blowing back agianst it.
I agree shouldnt change pressure on my own.Is there a way you could explain how to check it?
thank you so much.

Post Reply Post Reply
To check what pressure settings are hold down the two buttons next to the screen for about three seconds. This will take you into clinical info menu. Turn knob counterclockwise two clicks (until the little gears are highlited) then click the knob button. This will show you the settings. The top line will tell you if it is set to "Autoset" or "CPAP" then you will see min. pressure and max pressure.

If you are having trouble exhaling against the pressure, you might want to set EPR. EPR decreases pressure on exhale. I.E. if the pressure is at 14 and EPR is set to 3, then the pressure will drop to 11 when you exhale and come back up to 14 when you inhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2012, 12:12 AM)kayla Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 09:39 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Try washing the filter then putting it back in.

Thank you how can I tell if it's set for auto 14-19 ? If i press the menu buttons and first review the s9 manual,I should be able to tell right?
They told me it was set to respond to my apnea events but all I feel is this huge pressure and the difficulty blowing back agianst it.
I agree shouldnt change pressure on my own.Is there a way you could explain how to check it?
thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 849 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 783 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.