Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please offer advice
RE: Please offer advice
(01-14-2013, 02:56 PM)IDRIck Wrote: Kayla,

Take a look at the anti-leak strap from pad-a-cheek. I wear it with the strap below the ear and attached to the bottom of the headgear. My leaks are mostly non-existent after adding the anti-leak strap to my setup.

Anti-Leak strap? Do tell. I've never heard of this. Sounds useful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Take a look at the anti-leak strap from pad-a-cheek. I wear it with the strap below the ear and attached to the bottom of the headgear. My leaks are mostly non-existent after adding the anti-leak strap to my setup.

I looked at it and it looks interesting,,,ty
I am still soo tired,but still trying.
trying a chin strap tonight ,I dunno anymore ...
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 08:09 PM)Ugly Wrote:

Anti-Leak strap? Do tell. I've never heard of this. Sounds useful.

Ugly,

Here are my leak values from ResScan for the last 5 days with a quattro mask only (Dec 25 through Dec 29).

med 95% Max
0.0 8.4 25.2
0.0 12.0 18.0
0.0 2.4 9.6
0.0 10.8 30.0
0.0 14.4 39.6

My leak values for the last 5 days (Jan 7 through Jan 11) with addition of the padacheek anti leak strap are shown below. A very dramatic improvement! The strap cost $20, a very good investment. The strap attaches at the air inlet port. The velcro strap goes around the back of the head and attaches again by the inlet port. I wear the strap where it is just below the ear and attached to the bottom piece of the headgear. HTH.

med 95% Max
0.0 0.0 4.8
0.0 0.0 0.0
0.0 0.0 1.2
0.0 0.0 1.2
0.0 2.4 3.6
Post Reply Post Reply
Kayla,

I didn't see whether anyone had suggested this to you but, are you washing both your face and your mask cushion every day, if you are putting any kind of moisturizer or facial cream on your face then you'll never stop the leaks, make sure they're both squeaky-clean.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 11:11 PM)kayla Wrote:

I looked at it and it looks interesting,,,ty
I am still soo tired,but still trying.
trying a chin strap tonight ,I dunno anymore ...

Good luck Kayla, hope you can get some good rest tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2013, 12:17 AM)TheWerkz Wrote: Kayla,

I didn't see whether anyone had suggested this to you but, are you washing both your face and your mask cushion every day, if you are putting any kind of moisturizer or facial cream on your face then you'll never stop the leaks, make sure they're both squeaky-clean.

Ren
thank you so much ,yes I am washing my face and the mask,good to mention that tho.And I am wondering is my mask too large for my face I am wearing a medium,this mask doesnt float ,,,it is supposed to be fairly tight,I have smaller mask and it was tight on the nose but possibly try it again?.also have a nose mask but cant seem to stop mouth breathing.tried the chin strap ,horrific ,didnt last long,,,,sometimes I feel like I am defective.
I tried the bipap machine as i have both and it runs out of water in too short a time.
I see the sleep dr on jan 22 ,and could ask for a sleep study,but it is 900.00 and wonder what it would accomplish? Anybody have any ideas on this? ty in advance.
I have to go back to c-pap cause Of the dry mouth.unless I set alrm for every 3 hrs.
Truly I am confused here.I am sorry dont meant to sound that way.
I was going to try to find a respiriologist because the ones I see just want money.I understand but I have gotten more help form you people on here.
thanks for putting up with me and your suggestions,I welcome anymore you may have.
Kayla

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kayla,

Your profile says you are using a "Quattro" but are you using a "Mirage Quattro" or a "Quattro FX"? The "Mirage Quattro" has an extended top that fits to your forehead while the "Quattro FX" does not.

Neither of these is supposed to fit very tight.

Knowing the exact mask type might help us give you some tips in getting it fitted right.

Also, where does your mask leak most? Is it at the nose, the bottom or the sides?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2013, 08:48 PM)kayla Wrote: And I am wondering is my mask too large for my face I am wearing a medium,this mask doesnt float ,,,it is supposed to be fairly tight,I have smaller mask and it was tight on the nose but possibly try it again?

Hi Kayla,

I too have the same question posed by jgjones1972.

Which Quattro mask do you have?

They both are designed to "float" on your face, the silicone skirt will fill-out when the flow generator is turned-on and shouldn't be so tight that it can't do so. Neither mask should be super tight or cause any discomfort.

As to what size mask fits you the best, you need to go to your DME for help there, the only way to tell will be for someone to observe how tight the mask is when your CPAP is turned-on and you should only make adjustments while laying down, if you're sitting-up you can't adjust for what gravity does to the face when we lie down.

If you go to your DME for help, just take your mask's with you, they should be able to connect you to one of their CPAP's at the same pressure you were prescribed, it's in their best interest to help you do this since they won't be able to sell you any CPAP supplies if you can't wear it successfully, don't let them know you buy your supplies anywhere else if you don't actually buy replacement parts from them.

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2013, 11:01 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 08:48 PM)kayla Wrote: And I am wondering is my mask too large for my face I am wearing a medium,this mask doesnt float ,,,it is supposed to be fairly tight,I have smaller mask and it was tight on the nose but possibly try it again?

Hi Kayla,

They both are designed to "float" on your face, the silicone skirt will fill-out when the flow generator is turned-on and shouldn't be so tight that it can't do so. Neither mask should be super tight or cause any discomfort.

As to what size mask fits you the best, you need to go to your DME for help there, the only way to tell will be for someone to observe how tight the mask is when your CPAP is turned-on and you should only make adjustments while laying down, if you're sitting-up you can't adjust for what gravity does to the face when we lie down.

If you go to your DME for help, just take your mask's with you, they should be able to connect you to one of their CPAP's at the same pressure you were prescribed, it's in their best interest to help you do this since they won't be able to sell you any CPAP supplies if you can't wear it successfully, don't let them know you buy your supplies anywhere else if you don't actually buy replacement parts from them.

Good luck!

Ren
Mirage quattro ,and its a medium and I have a small,also what do I wash my mask with to keep it sqeaky clean? I have been using neutrogena for oily face.I have no idea....These crazy respirologists where i bought the mask say it doesnt foat,,
leaks at bottom and around eyes.
any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-15-2013, 11:01 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:

Hi Kayla,

Good luck!

Ren
I do buy stuff from them but they are not very helpful they didnt sell me the machine ...it seems like all they care about is money.I know that's ok but they have given me awful service even when I pay them.This forum and you have ben more helpful.thank you

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 37 1,523 03-17-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 97 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 54 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 13 514 03-12-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 723 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 182 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,768 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.