Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please suggest a Mask - Here's what I've tried.
Grin 
Please suggest a Mask - Here's what I've tried.
I'm not sleeping well.  My mask wakes me up throughout the night.  So I'm looking for a new mask.

I was all set to get the Dreamware FFM, but I just realized it has the large anchor spot at the base of the skull.  ACK!  That sort of headgear doesn't work for me because it gives me migraines and severe neck pain (due to a car accident a couple years ago that injured that area of my neck).  

Is there an alternate headgear I could use?  Or... could you suggest a different mask?

I like the nasal masks because of the minimalism and also because it's less to try to keep sealed.  

Brevida is my current mask.  It works fine.  But the vent wakes me up (either it's too loud, or it's blowing too hard on me).  When I put the quiet cover over the vent, I wake up needing more air.  

P10 doesn't vent enough for me.  It brings back my OSA symptoms.

Nuance Pro I can't keep the headgear in place.

Wisp's headgear hurts the base of my skull.  I can't keep sealed.  It hurts the bridge of my nose.  I feel air starved.

I've tried FFMs, but they cause me difficulty because I can't keep them sealed throughout the night.  If I crank them tight on me, then they pull my jaw back or hurt my teeth or mess with my bite; and also it causes me pain due to headgear pushing on bad places (mainly the base of my head).

F20 (with memory foam) was my last mask.  I had the same problems with it as with the Brevida (vent is too much, but the quiet vent isn't enough).  But it's the ONE FFM that I've been able to keep sealed.  I also had the problems with the jaw and such.

Amara View won't stay sealed on me.

Please advise!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please suggest a Mask - Here's what I've tried.
APillow masks are excellent if you are not a mouth breather.  Resmed makes the P30i I really like the hose at the top. I hardly know it is on. I put on it a band with plastic arms that stays on the head. Another + is the headgear and frame is the same as the nose cradle.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the same boat, though I haven't tried nearly as many mask types and models as you have.

Ever since day 1 (2005), I have used the Mirage Micro, both the LG-WD and the XL cushion sizes feel 'right' to me. However, both leak. I recently hot the data logging cpap, if not for that, I'd be totally unaware of the magnitude of the lmask leaks. I have worked on the problem for almost a month now and found many small issues with the mask and have corrected them, I have patience, I am a good observer and come from an Engineering background. The latest breakthrough was determining that the headgear either wasn't designed properly or that my head shape was odd. Basically, the headgear was centered over the lower back of the head, which meant it was pulling the mask downwards instead of pulling it towards the center rear side of the scull. After a quick rebuild of the headgear to get the vectors closer to correct, I still get some leaks though I have only used the modified headgear for about 3 hours, so I need to do more evaluation. Also, I need to evaluate the LG-WD cushion separately.

If I can't significantly improve the mask leaks, I am already considering gluing the mask to my face before going to sleep, likely using double sided sticky tape.

I might just need to get another mask-although I am not sure the newer designed masks leak less.

In my research I have been noting a strong association between pressure and the leak rate-which is consistent with the notes in the Wiki. Higher pressures inflate the mask and lift it further from the face as well as lowering the headgear's ability to control the masks position relative to the face.

Hydrangea, I notice your pressure also runs high-try not to discount the higher pressure needed as a source or complication that might be contributing to your leaks.

I will continue to watch the thread with great interest.

ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried several masks before I found one that seemed right.  I finally settled on the Resmed F30.  For me it works wonderfully.  I tried the Amara View and it was a disaster.  So I was reluctant to try the F30 for a while but it was a pleasant surprise when I got around to trying it. The F30 provides almost no leaks in my case according to Oscar, it is pretty comfortable if not cinched to tightly and is easy to hook and unhook.  I use the old style hose connector/swivel that I got separately from Vendor #1 which is a little more noisy than the new version but seems to allow  expired air to be expelled a little easier.  One persons experience Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
My AirFit F20 full face is comfortable and quiet.. (the silicone one, not the AirTouch memory foam version)

My F&P Eson nose mask was ok for about 4 years, but recently I started to have problems with my mouth opening when fully relaxed during sleep, hence the change to the FFM.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2020, 09:33 PM)BB63 Wrote: Hydrangea, I notice your pressure also runs high-try not to discount the higher pressure needed as a source or complication that might be contributing to your leaks.

The problem with the leaking is it wakes me up at night.  The disrupted sleep (due to leaking masks or poorly venting masks) is my biggest problem right now, and has been for over a year.  I'm SO tired.

I did try the F30, but had the same problem as I had with the F20 plus the poor sealing due to silicone.

I called my DME and spoke with someone about masks and my issues.  She recommended the AirFit N30, so I'm trying that right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe you are a person who breaths through his nose and does not need a full face mask. If a person can some how work with just pillow masks you reduce the chances of leakage because it has a smaller area to seal. The P10 is a good mask but I found I wipe my vents daily just before going to sleep with a alcohol swap and it works well for myself. My pressures are not all that high so that helps for exhaust port diffusers. One person takes her water pik and blasts the mesh every once in a while to clean it well (Can be a little messy) . This site had this interesting chart in Wiki area and thought this might help you.
The swift FX is a nice mask but it is louder than the P10 and FX blows air out air on your partner or on your arms kind of making it a cold feeling.
[Image: Resmed_Pressure_vs_Flow.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,523 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Need help to interpret and suggest settings for my CSA, for Dreamstation ST turtlez 1 397 03-03-2023, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,204 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Pls suggest mask change for my "leak problem" Liteheart1 9 1,094 09-22-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,747 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Does my data suggest the need for a cervical collar? gadgetmaniah 6 870 06-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Last Post: gadgetmaniah
  New CPAP user. Can anybody suggest my Airsense 10 setting ? chuhao 6 1,234 01-09-2021, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.