Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please tell me about RERA
Please tell me about RERA
I'll attach what I think is a good Oscar report. I'm asking for amplification on the topic of RERA. I have sleep problems and an EEG showed that I had clusters of mini-awakenings. I was not aware of them and I didn't consciously awaken, but the doctor said that those mini-episodes sometimes interfere with restorative sleep.
Any ideas if RERA episodes might be a reflection of mini-awakenings? Any references to articles or postings? I doubt if there is any CPAP adjustment that wold deal with that, but it might be useful to talk with my doc about the issue.
Thanks very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please tell me about RERA
Well your AHI is excellent, but there are a number of RERA events. In order to understand it better, we need to zoom into the respiratory flow rate so we can see the shape of the respiratory "wave". RERA occurs when flow limitation is present. Flow limitation is a restriction of the inhale and shows up as a flattened or downward sloping wave, rather than a normal rounded wave. When we breathe in, we ideally see a rapid increase in the flow rate, that reaches a peak before slowing to zero flow, where exhale begins as the chest relaxes. If there is an upper airway restriction the flow rate slows gradually, and may even become slower before the end of inspiration. This causes a flattened or downward sloping wave. If that happens over several breaths, you may not inhale as much air as you need, and your body will trigger an arousal so you breathe more volume. This is a gradually diminishing flow rate followed by higher amplitude breathing. This arousal is a RERA, and you should be able to identify it on the OSCAR graph by zooming into a 2-minute segment and looking for it.

Here are a couple Apnea Board Wikis:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._and_BiPAP
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
By definition RERAs are a series of Flow Limitations ending in arrousal.
I don't know if these are the mini-awakenings your doc is talking about. They are treatable either with increasing pressure support or raising min pressure. You can't increase pressure support so bump your min pressure up 1cmw. It will likely need more.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent information. I'm excited to work with it. Thank you.

Warmest thanks. I'll work with this, upping my lowest pressure bit by bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for these posts....I've had a wonderful suggestion and been told to monitor RERA and change my settings on OSCAR...

Came here to learn more

edit: I've attempted to change my settings on OSCAR. I don't know how to interpret the report, and can't view the results.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 182 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 706 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  PLM pattern or RERA spikes? permabear 35 2,243 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: permabear
  [CPAP] What's the best CPAP for reducing RERA events Anthon 1 578 08-11-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Interrupted sleep: RERA and Flow limitation xaid 2 772 07-09-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Persistent OA, Hypoapneas and RERA events despite Pressure Increase chewielotuses 7 1,026 04-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  High mask pressure causing RERA? webweaver 2 1,071 12-15-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.