Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please try this!
Please try this!
I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive sleep apnea eight years ago. I've hatd a Resmed AirSense 10 for about two years, and at the end of the sleep session it shows how many apnea events per hour occurred. ANYWAY, two weeks ago I noticed how good I felt one morning, when I got home from work I saw my sleep report was 1.4 events / hour. I was trying to think what I did - ate the previous evening that may have lent itself to this. After decidedly pinpointing the factor, I kept doing it every night until now. I also use it in my smoothies in the morning. I just had some about 30 minutes before my afternoon nap, all which have been ZERO events per hour - which never never never happens. And one day I did not use it in the morning / before my afternoon nap, and my report was 3.4 events/hour. With that being said, I think it's safe to say the pomegranate is a miracle (for me). I eat 1/2 of one at night, and follow up with a very small 4 oz of pure pomegranate juice. In the morning I put about 6-8oz in my smoothie, and its effects seem to last throug the afternoon. I urge anyone suffering from sleep apnea to try this, and pray it helps you as it has me! Know that I am relatively young (44) and the only med I take is ONE for high blood pressure, so make sure there is no potential interaction with any medicine you may be taking. Let me know!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Please try this!
Indeed. It is also known to help with insomnia.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2016, 05:10 PM)Roundy72 Wrote: I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive sleep apnea eight years ago. I've hatd a Resmed AirSense 10 for about two years, and at the end of the sleep session it shows how many apnea events per hour occurred. ANYWAY, two weeks ago I noticed how good I felt one morning, when I got home from work I saw my sleep report was 1.4 events / hour. I was trying to think what I did - ate the previous evening that may have lent itself to this. After decidedly pinpointing the factor, I kept doing it every night until now. I also use it in my smoothies in the morning. I just had some about 30 minutes before my afternoon nap, all which have been ZERO events per hour - which never never never happens. And one day I did not use it in the morning / before my afternoon nap, and my report was 3.4 events/hour. With that being said, I think it's safe to say the pomegranate is a miracle (for me). I eat 1/2 of one at night, and follow up with a very small 4 oz of pure pomegranate juice. In the morning I put about 6-8oz in my smoothie, and its effects seem to last throug the afternoon. I urge anyone suffering from sleep apnea to try this, and pray it helps you as it has me! Know that I am relatively young (44) and the only med I take is ONE for high blood pressure, so make sure there is no potential interaction with any medicine you may be taking. Let me know!?!

Have you considered other environmental factors that would lead you to a more restful sleep? Reduction in stress or pain? Environmental change in light, noise, bed firmness, temperature, etc.? Have you checked the pressure provided by the machine or did you change settings? Could it be the placebo effect where you think it is helping, so it appears to help?

There have been other anecdotal cases of using pomegranate juice to promote sleep and it has been suggested that it may be due to the naturally occurring melatonin or its anti-inflammatory effects. Here is a medical journal article you might find interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3657449/

The question might be: what is a therapeutic dose based on weight and other factors?

Pomegranate has also been associated with a number of scams, some of which were sanctioned by the FTC. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/22/...m-20120522

I am pleased you have found a solution that appears to work for you. Keep us posted.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roundy72,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you found something that is helping you with your sleep apnea.
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There are no other factors of note that could contribute. I know nothing about pomegranate scams (sounds kind of funny), but felt I needed to go out of my way, sign up on your board, and share what I have experienced. I really hope it helps others.

I have attached a screenshot of today's nap report. Understand, I haven't seen 0 events since I've owned the AirSense 10.

I haven't seen POM Wonderfuly at the stores for quite some time. I've been using 100% organic "from nothing but pressed pomegranates" at my local food co-op.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2016, 08:56 PM)Roundy72 Wrote: There are no other factors of note that could contribute. I know nothing about pomegranate scams (sounds kind of funny), but felt I needed to go out of my way, sign up on your board, and share what I have experienced. I really hope it helps others.

I have attached a screenshot of today's nap report. Understand, I haven't seen 0 events since I've owned the AirSense 10.

A 1:18 nap is really too short to draw any conclusions as it says nothing about the actual time you were sleeping or the deepness of your sleep.

I would be more interested in your numbers if there were sleep intervals of 6 - 8 hours and a trend over at least 5 days.

I find that if I work all night and oversleep the 12:00p cutoff imposed by ResMed by a couple of hours, it also shows extremely low numbers for a few hours in comparison to a greater number for the full night's sleep.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2016, 08:56 PM)Roundy72 Wrote: I've been using 100% organic "from nothing but pressed pomegranates" at my local food co-op.

Try cutting the dose in half tonight. Then half of that the next night, and so on. Find the minimum dose that works. Let us know.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your screenshot of a one hour nap and 0.0 events tells very little. Most of us can nap for an hour or two without events.

Download #SleepyHead software and post us some data for a longer period of time.

Now I am not discounting what you are saying. I actually like pomegranate. I have a feeling that you watch what you eat and drink, and this may help you regardless of the type of smoothie you drink. I believe what we eat and drink, especially before bed affects our AHI.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2016, 09:24 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your screenshot of a one hour nap and 0.0 events tells very little. Most of us can nap for an hour or two without events.

i've NEVER seen 0 events per hour until two weeks ago. and i look at the report every time i wake up. that means nothing?

(11-27-2016, 09:24 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Now I am not discounting what you are saying. I actually like pomegranate. I have a feeling that you watch what you eat and drink, and this may help you regardless of the type of smoothie you drink. I believe what we eat and drink, especially before bed affects our AHI.

indeed my wife and i are extremely conscientious about clean eating. my diet is relatively static so any effect from changing inputs is noticed.

now, why all this skepticism when instead of sitting on the sidelines picking my claim apart, why not try it. might set you back $5 - $10. you have nothing to lose. i'm not here to argue, match wits, or start a flame war, but only to share my experience for posterity.
Post Reply Post Reply
Roundy72,
I admit it was a challenge to comprehend your post. Smile

And no one is picking your claim apart.

As I stated, what we eat and drink overall and especially before bed affects not just our sleep, but "may" reflect in our AHI readings.

Hope you have continued success, and Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.