Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please, we need your advice!
RE: Please, we need your advice!
Oh... Sorry, this machine is a Elite EPR with a blue SD Card in the back...
Post Reply Post Reply
Joshua, that machine produces data that might help us understand why her first attempt at CPAP was a failure. Download the free #SleepyHead program, and install it on a computer. If you upload that SD card the program will be able to display the data from any sessions she had. I expect we can tell a lot from that information, if you're willing to make that effort.

#Sleepyhead.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joshua and wife,

It is good to see you earnestly considering the advice you have received here and being willing to try again. I'm sorry you were left alone and without any support. This is now no longer the case.

I want to share with you that I took quite some time to get used to CPAP, too. Not everybody puts this on and sleeps like they did before, in fact most struggle with it for some time. It's totally ok to keep it on for only two or three hours at a time at first. Encourage her not to get upset or impatient with it. It doesn't mean she has failed. This is the part where you can help. The trick is to not give up but to be persistent until she learns to sleep at least part of the night with the machine on, then a little longer every time. Or perhaps she'll wear it for a short time and again later the same night for another short time. There will be nights when she just can't stand it but should try again the next night. Even once she sleeps with the mask on, her sleep patterns may be changed for some time. All of this is normal.

The point is that it WILL be ok if she gives herself time and allows for this adjusting. It took me weeks to be able to keep the mask on all night and my sleep never returned to normal until about six months into treatment. There were times when I thought I couldn't do this but now it's fine. I just honestly feel that the trouble of adjusting to CPAP is far less than the pain of invasive surgery that may or may not solve the problem. If you read up on this forum you will find many little tricks that can make this adjustment easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing about surgery. You owe it to yourself to do some research on UPPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty). It improves sleep apnea, but rarely resolves it to the point CPAP is not needed in patients with moderate or severe apnea. It is painful, expensive and has long-term complications and you can't undo it. It may make adapting to CPAP look like a walk in the park.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A couple tips which may help reduce some of any obstructive apneas or hypopneas.
Sleeping on one's side may reduce obstructive evens by more than half for some folks.
Using a cervical collar or small pillow may prevent tucking the chin towards the chest and kinking the airway, helping prevent some events from kinking the airway.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider,

Thanks for the information of the software, I also found a link to download the ResScan application. Which is better?

As for UPPP surgery, we will talk about it with the otolaryngologist to see what he tells us.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2017, 01:22 PM)Joshua Miller Wrote: .  .  .   I also found a link to download the ResScan application. Which is better?
SleepyHead provides an easier to read display of your data than ResScan does.  I have provided links to help in understanding SleepyHead and how to publish its data to the forum in the future.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Russatrice,

Reading about your experience, I seem to be listening to my wife, she experienced the same things but in a shorter time. The truth is that I'm walking "at the speed she imposes" so as not to pressure her. We also believe that surgery should be the last option. Thank you very much for your words.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Beej,

Interesting idea of the cervical neck. She uses a small pillow but she changes position several times at night. Are you talking about the same neck that I have seen that paramedics put on people who have suffered an accident when they are taken to an ambulance?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepyhead is a better choice because it is much easier to install and use, and puts more information where you can use it and understand the relationships between apnea, pressure, leaks and other factors.

A soft cervical collar is nothing like trauma collars. It is made of soft materials and simply helps to encourage good neck and head alignment to keep the airway open. An airline roll pillow is comparable, except the soft collar can be purchased in different heights and shapes to fit comfortably. For example, 2-1/2 and 3" collars can cost as little as $5.79 at Walmart.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 294 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 798 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.