Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Please, we need your advice!
RE: Please, we need your advice!
Good job! Those settings look good, and I'd stay with them for now with the following exceptions:

Change the Sleep Quality setting to ON. This will make details like AHI, pressure, and leaks available. Usage mode only shows therapy hours. With this on, you should be able to see results from the last therapy sessions she has on the machine.

SmartStart is a feature that automatically starts the machine when you put on the mask rather than requiring you to press the start button. It would be fine to enable that if it makes things easier.

Not related to settings, if possible find a way to attach the hose to a headboard or above her head so it moves with her. Leave enough slack so it doesn't restrict her movement, but this will keep the hose from dragging across the bed or night stand, and getting tangled in bedding.

Good luck
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 04:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Not related to settings, if possible find a way to attach the hose to a headboard or above her head so it moves with her.  Leave enough slack so it doesn't restrict her movement, but this will keep the hose from dragging across the bed or night stand, and getting tangled in bedding.

Good luck

I use the Hose Buddy to hange my hose from. It has a foot made from tubing that fits between the mattress and foundation. The hose is is hung from a short arm using velcro. The arm swivels to keep the arm more or less over the user's head. I like it so much I pack it with my CPAP machine when I'm traveling. The Hose Buddy and Hose Buddy plus are built heavier than the Travel Buddy.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider: I already made the changes that you suggested to me. My wife is going to use the machine again tonight.

Pupcamper: My wife was delighted with your idea and she wants me to do a temporary installation by holding the hose from the ceiling to be able to use the machine tonight, while we bought the Hose Buddy Plus.

We thank you both for your suggestions.

I still have the doubt: Please tell me what is the mask style that corresponds with "full face": photo 1, photo 2 or photo 3 (My Wife) and what are the other two?

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Neither #1 Is a Pillow style mask.  #2 is a total face mask - I think.

Here is picture of a Full Face Mask (FFM):
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg6_fd3jWjiPvGQC92DG1...2rXYvIvc9O]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 07:38 PM)Joshua Miller Wrote: Sleeprider: I already made the changes that you suggested to me. My wife is going to use the machine again tonight.

Pupcamper: My wife was delighted with your idea and she wants me to do a temporary installation by holding the hose from the ceiling to be able to use the machine tonight, while we bought the Hose Buddy Plus.

We thank you both for your suggestions.

I still have the doubt: Please tell me what is the mask style that corresponds with "full face": photo 1, photo 2 or photo 3 (My Wife) and what are the other two?

Thanks.
Your wife is wearing a full face mask. The first is a nasal pillow mask and the second a total face mask.

I think she will like the Hose Buddy. I have mine setup at the head of the bed in the center of my sleep area. Sleeprider gave you a good description of what you want to avhieve when you set it up. I had to buy a longer hose to make up the difference for the length that went up, over and then back down. I think I bought a ten foot hose when I was using a full face mask. I've also had good luck using a two foot hose and a hose coupler attached to the mask end of my heated hose. The extra length will not affect her pressure enough to matter. Now that I'm using a nasal pillow mask, which comes with a short hose, I don't need extra hose. You will just have to figure out what works best for her.

Good luck with her continuing treatment. It will save a lot of problems on down the road. It takes a lot of experimentation and a committment to wear the mask everytime she lays down. If she keeps at it there will come a time when she can't imagine sleeping without her machine. Be sure to stay in touch and ask questions so Sleeprider and the rest of the members can help keep her treatment on track.

Sleep well,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Crimson Nape, Now I have clear that the mask of my wife is full face.

It's very possible that I also have to buy more hose, thanks Mitch for clarifying me that the length doesn't affect the performance. I don't know if my wife could stand the nasal pillow mask, but I hope she gets to fit her machine so much so as not to imagine sleeping without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Joshua,

As a newbie to APAP treatment, I can only offer my opinion from my limited experience.

I know that I am NOT a mouth breather, so I tried a Nasal mask and Nasal Pillows. I am trialing the Fisher & Paykell Brevida Nasal Pillow mask. While I was originally a bit concerned (OK Freaked out) about having something stuck up my nose, I found it fit well with no leaks first night. When I switched to the F&P Eson 2 Nasal Mask, I found I had a few more leaks when I tried to sleep on my side. Could easily be a newbie not knowing how to adjust straps and mask properly.

Each mask fits and feels different. Lucky for me I am in the trial stage with my supplier, so will also be trying the ResMed AirFit P10.

As you will probably find as you read around the forum, the MASK is probably the most important part of the system. You need it to be comfortable.

Try to find the Mask Fit article and go through it to help your wife out.

Good Luck to both of you with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoopy.pa30,
Pillow selection can be a factor for a side sleeper.   The normal "cushy" pillow will have a tendency to push the mask to the opposite side of the face.  You may wish to consider something like a buckwheat pillow, which is less pliable and can be formed to avoid any mask interference.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snoopy.pa30,

Thank you for your opinion, until now she haven't been able to tolerate the mask all night, I understand that it's not because of the mask itself but because of having a strange object attached to her face and head, throwing air all the time. Last night she felt better, perhaps because of the change in settings suggested by Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:...a strange object attached to her face and head, throwing air all the time.

Indeed. I often describe it as sleeping with a plastic alien strapped to your face with a compressor blowing air up your nose. It seems your missus is experiencing that exact feeling. It's really now a matter of becoming accommodated to this situation. Feelings of claustrophobia are not uncommon, and it's no shame if you have to pull your mask off occasionally - just make sure you put it back on again. After a while the great majority of us don't experience these feelings any more. In fact some people feel naked without their mask on while in bed.

Some people find the texture of the mask against the skin is off-putting. If this is the case you can obtain a cloth liner which fits between the silicon and your skin. Do a search for Remzz or Pad-a-cheek (Supplier #31).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 274 25 minutes ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 857 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,791 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 77 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 789 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.