Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plmnb's Never Ending OSA Journey (Data)
RE: Plmnb's Never Ending OSA Journey (Data)
Flow rate is a reading of your breathing rate, flow limitation is when you inhale and your breathing on inspiration (breathing in) flattens out at the top, which is indicative that your airway is narrowing enough to make it difficult to inhale but not enough to cause hypopnea or apnea... which is why it's called a flow limitation.

RERA is respiratory effort related arousal. It's when the flow limitations are bad enough that it causes an arousal.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Joeywallaby.

So if the graph is indicating a RERA episode with the yellow line, what is the reason for the 0 number in the pop up box? Is this a glitch or something?

Same sort of question for the other pop up boxes when hovering over the lines, what do the little numbers in the parentheses mean?
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know honestly, I don't use Philips machines.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips?

My machine says ResMed.  Is that made by Phillips?

How does who the machine is made by impact the information showing in OSCAR?

Regards,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I recall rightly, that number represents the length of time for the event.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahhh.

So with this thinking, I am having RERA episodes, but they are so short no number was created? And the other lines, indicating other things like OBSTRUCTIVE events would mean 10 seconds or 40 seconds for that episode?
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh yea, getting confused.

I don't think RERAs get a number because they're not cessation or blockage of breathing event like an apnea or hypopnea is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2019, 08:51 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Oh yea, getting confused.

I don't think RERAs get a number because they're not cessation or blockage of breathing event like an apnea or hypopnea is.

Oh!  I see.  Thank you.

But regarding the other events, the numbers represent seconds?  For example, the graph is saying for each OBSTRUCTIVE event I stop breathing for anywhere from 10 seconds to over 40 seconds?  This would be in line with my sleep study which reports OBSTRUCTIVE events as long as 60 seconds each.

So, even though I am using CPAP, I am still possibly going to get headaches from lengthy no breathing periods?  From what I have been told, the drop in my O2 from lengthy no air is why morning headaches happen.  is this accurate?

Regards,
Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the numbers are length of event. We really have no idea how much oxygen desaturation you're experiencing without an oximeter but very long apneas will almost certainly cause some degree of significant desaturation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good to know, thank you!

Sooo, If a person stops breathing for an extended period of time each episode, even though they may be having LESS episodes with CPAP, if enough episodes are occurring, the AMOUNT OF TIME that these episodes total could be why a person could still feel so tired after waking up?

CPAP therapy doesn't help length of time of episodes, it should help prevent the episode from happening at all.  So, even if I get relief from the number of episodes, I may ultimately still feel exhausted??

Oh dear.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 2 149 04-21-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Never ending tiredness Marcus007 3 140 04-21-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Marcus007
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 6 172 04-18-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,649 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,012 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,922 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,430 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.