Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RE: In anticipation of my BIPAP Re: New Thread
RE: Plmnb - the journey continues now with ST-A.
Soooo, here’s the scoop. I have tried 3 different settings for my height. Each one a click lower than the previous. Noticeable difference...for the better. Right now I’m at 56 inches and it is PURRFECT. I’m afraid too good to be true actually.

Should I still expect I’ll be getting appropriate therapy with my height set so many inches lower than my true height? I guess tonight will tell.

I’ll report back in am!!!!

Thank you, thank you everyone for getting me this far.
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
The feeling of being forced to breath is probably because target RR is too high at 16. Some of your recent charts appear to be in 13-14 range. If you look at overview tab in OSCAR you can get a better idea of your median respiration rate then set it to that value. 

The reason lowering your height is making things feel better is because it is lowering your target Va. I didn't realize Va was so much lower than MV (at least in that screenshot Sleeprider posted). Your spontaneous MV has only been around 6.25 and the corresponding MV you should be targeting is only around 5.6-6 imo so Va probably around 5 to get that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Coffee Good Morning all.

Well, first night on the long awaited ST-A is under the belt.  I'll post last night's chart shortly.  Just want to mention/ask a few things:

1) Re: Large Leaks
I have been having them for the last few nights at different portions of my sleep.  I attribute most of them to trying to get used to smaller head gear size.  I may have to switch back to the larger size, but the velcro no longer is allowing for sticking.  I'm going to have to figure something out on this.

2) I believe it was mentioned that in Ivaps mode I will not get a FLOW LIMIT reading.  As that graph sort of defined my therapy, which chart on iVaps takes its place as being the main one we should be looking at to determine appropriate tweaks.  Perhaps since this is brand new territory for me, we need to look at most all of them?  Which graphs and in what order should I post my images?   I'm sure you will want zooms as well. This is why I will post after hearing from you.

3) I have just this morning submitted my request for the Clinician Manual.

4) The results and/or numbers on the screen of the machine after awaking for the day, I am curious as to if these are needed to help us fine tune?  Here they are:

Pressure: 30
Exp Pressure: 12
Vt: 480
RR: 16
Mv: 7.3L/min
Ti: 1.4s
I:E: 1:1.6
Spontaneous Trigger: 69%
Spontaneous Cycle: 69%

Setting tweaks made to the machine last night:

Mode: iVAPS
Height: 56 inches
Target Pt Rate: 16
Target Va: 6.0L/min
(NOT SET BY ME, AUTOMATIC BY MACINE: Mv 7.1L/min, Vt 445 mml)
Vt/Kg 12.1ml/kg IBW
EPAP: 12
Min PS: 4.0
Max PS: 18.00
Ti max: 1.95
Ti min: 0.7s
Rise Time: 300ms
Trigger: Med
Cycle: Med

As to how I feel this morning, pretty much the same, not bouncy or anything, I don't feel like a truck hit me, but that is how I have been feeling for the past week or so.  I guess I am wearing the mask enough to not get the OA headaches like I did a few times recently.  I won't get tired until later this afternoon, probably.  I still need to review video for last night as well.

Speak to you shortly,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
On another thread, bonjour has suggestions for chart organization on the ST-A, though they seem generic.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid319089

I'm pretty sure people would be curious what happened with the extreme flow limitations you were earlier experiencing. Did they go away entirely? Reduced?
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would probably back out the Va until MV falls to 6.0 to 6.4. That will keep it from being too aggressive. Your approach of reducing that value and feeling better was a good one. The Learn Targets seems to way over-estimate needs and that was true of the other person I know that used it. I think to evaluate this, we can look at the overall chart, but you are going to have to scan the flow rate through the night to see what is happening. Your statistics for last night look fine, but hard to put them into context.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning Sleeprider, glad to hear from you.

I checked out bonjour's chart organization for the ST-A user, but you are correct, they seem generic.  For instance I thought I read somewhere that the FLOW LIMIT graph is not reported in iVaps? I don't have a FLOW LIMIT graph anymore. Would we then be keeping a closer eye on the FLOW RATE among other things? 

Once we get the exact chart organization figured out, I will post the charts.

Plmnb
Post Reply Post Reply
oh, also.  Would it be ok to post the graphs for the sessions that don't show mostly LARGE LEAKS?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a general overview with Events, Flow Rate, Mask Pressure, Leaks is the basic organization. As I said, you will need to zoom into the flow rate to see flow limitation, and just scan manually. It would be nice if flow limit was reported, but since this machine does not rely on that to adjust pressure, it just isn't a data channel.

If you have not already done so, you should PM Bonjour and join the OSCAR beta test group. This will get you access to the latest beta version that more accurately transcribes your settings and results. I'm sure the development team could benefit from any input you have in looking at your results on the ST-A.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If OSCAR doesn't have a flow limit chart you need to look at and interpret the flow rate chart. You know what these bad flow limitations look like so you should be able to see them.

It will most likely be moments where the machine is running at higher IPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here we go!

This post has the main chart with the graphs I think are needed.  I didn't include the Leaks graph because they are obvious in the first graph with their little gray bars.  I am now working on some zooms, especially of the Flow Rates.  I might try a medium mask tonight if I can find all the right parts.  Maybe this would help with leaks.

It is interesting to me that the Mask Pressure waves were so flat topped last night.

Plmnb

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 36 976 1 hour ago
Last Post: MaggieL
  sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread sleepingbetterinFl 82 479 04-13-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Wjg's Therapy Thread wjg1 35 801 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: wjg1
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,926 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,338 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 34 2,745 04-08-2024, 03:26 PM
Last Post: IanD
  mallar's therapy thread mallar 11 260 04-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.