Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Plug problem
Plug problem
I’ve just gotten my machine and was going to give it a test run this afternoon before using it when I go to sleep tonight. Unfortunately that plan is in ruins because my plug adapter doesn’t work.

I purchased my resmed 10 airsense autoset from america (I live in the UK). This meant that the PAP machine came with a US plug so on amazon I bought a two pin plug adapter. I guess I can’t link directly too it but this is what it says on the adapter plug:

BS1363
1A FUSE
BS646
1A 250V
A.C.ONLY

The resmed plug fits in the adapter perfectly but when I plug the adapter into the socket and turn it on there is no power to the PAP machine. At first I thought the machine was broken but I have a shaving socket in my bathroom which is a 2 pin socket. I plugged the resmed plug into there and it instantly turned on so it must be the adapter.

I don’t know if I simply bought a faulty adapter or if I’ve overlooked something and ended up buying the wrong adapter (I know next to nothing about electronics). I thought I would ask on the forums before I buy another adapter because if I am overlooking something I’ll likely just buy another wrong adapter, delaying my treatment and wasting money.

Is there anything I should know before I buy another adapter or do you guys just think I was unlucky and got a broken product?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Plug problem
(05-11-2018, 08:41 AM)Personxyz Wrote: I’ve just gotten my machine and was going to give it a test run this afternoon before using it when I go to sleep tonight. Unfortunately that plan is in ruins because my plug adapter doesn’t work.

I purchased my resmed 10 airsense autoset from america (I live in the UK). This meant that the PAP machine came with a US plug so on amazon I bought a two pin plug adapter. I guess I can’t link directly too it but this is what it says on the adapter plug:

BS1363
1A FUSE
BS646
1A 250V
A.C.ONLY

The resmed plug fits in the adapter perfectly but when I plug the adapter into the socket and turn it on there is no power to the PAP machine. At first I thought the machine was broken but I have a shaving socket in my bathroom which is a 2 pin socket. I plugged the resmed plug into there and it instantly turned on so it must be the adapter.

I don’t know if I simply bought a faulty adapter or if I’ve overlooked something and ended up buying the wrong adapter (I know next to nothing about electronics). I thought I would ask on the forums before I buy another adapter because if I am overlooking something I’ll likely just buy another wrong adapter, delaying my treatment and wasting money.

Is there anything I should know before I buy another adapter or do you guys just think I was unlucky and got a broken product?

Replace the fuse with at least a 3amp fuse, a 1amp will blow as soon as it is turned on.  Check the adaptor is ok first and there is not a short in it.
It might be better if you just chopped the plug off and put on a British plug.  However, you might not want to do that if there is a warranty.

The Adaptor is not rated very highly, but it should handle 3 amps though your cpap will not draw a full three amps anyway.
If you can get a higher rated one I would get one, but a 3 amp fuse will do for now.

Do not go above a 5amp fuse and do not put in a 13 amp fuse, if there was a fault it would be far to late before it blew.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect you bought an adapter plug that is far too small for the job, with an internal fuse of only 1-amp. Your machine needs at least 5-amps to run. I would look around in a local electronics store rather than Amazon. Plug adapters have to be a fairly common need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2018, 08:41 AM)Personxyz Wrote: The resmed plug fits in the adapter perfectly but when I plug the adapter into the socket and turn it on there is no power to the PAP machine.

Do you have something else you can plug into the adapter to see if it works?

Instead of using an adapter, you can swap out the cord that you plug into the wall outlet. It is the same cord used for laptop computers. One end plugs into the wall outlet, the other into the power brick. These cords are inexpensive if you buy from some place like Amazon. Search Amazon or elsewhere for "SF Cable, 6ft BS1363A (UK fused plug) to C7".

I'm pretty sure that cable will work. Shy
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Your machine needs at least 5-amps to run.

You may be thinking of the DC input to the machine, but power input to the brick is 1.0 - 1.5 Amp. From the owner's manual:

Technical specifications
90W power supply unit
AC input range: 100–240V, 50–60Hz 1.0–1.5A, Class II
115V, 400Hz 1.5A, Class II (nominal for aircraft use)
DC output: 24V 3.75A
Typical power consumption: 53W (57VA)
Peak power consumption: 104W (108VA)

As Sleep2Snore mentioned above, you should not use a fuse greater than 5 amps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I've decided to get a new cord as suggested by sleepster.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,892 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,934 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,498 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,845 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 375 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 589 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 431 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.