Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pneumonia and cpap
Pneumonia and cpap
I think i may have developped pneumonia... Will go get checjed tomorrow. Should I stop using the cpap tomprevent further contamination until it is cured?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pneumonia and cpap
See the doctor asap about your pneumonia

Distilled water is recommended. You'll need to change dirty air filters and keep your CPAP equipment (hoses, masks, water chambers) squeaky clean. Washing remove dirts, oils, and germs build-ups can lead to infections

Post Reply Post Reply
There aren't a lot of studies on this, so you could go either way. Depends on the cause and possibly the severity of the pneumonia. Unless told otherwise, you can continue using xpap, but make sure everything is clean and that you clean it more often. This would reduce the chance of reinfection.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any germs in the CPAP probably came from you to begin with. The main sources for germs in the CPAP are you and the air you're breathing in the room.

Rebreathing the germs that you already have in you is probably not going to make much difference unless there's somewhere in the CPAP for them to multiply. Unless it's really dirty, there's just not much in the CPAP for the germs to feed on and multiply. Use distilled water, or at least dump the water out every morning and rinse the tank.

It wouldn't hurt to clean your mask, water tank, etc. really thoroughly. You can also get Control III solution to clean CPAP equipment if you want a higher level of disinfection. Give it a thorough cleaning as soon as convenient, and another good cleaning after you're recovered.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Arch said. My recovery from "pert near pneumonia" and several really bad bronchitis cases went smoothly due to the humidity in the CPAP and the sleep I was able to get.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
with the big P I would go asap....like stop surfing the web and go now!

Last year (pre cpap) I wasn't even coughing but felt like I had Ben poisoned or drugged or run over by a truck.....everything in my body hurt, finally went to an urgent care (it took a bit of research to find one that is actually covered by instance without the extra extra, I found one and I love the Drs there, a real classy operation). Had a slight fever but a quick stethoscope the dr looked at me and said yet you have the by P....both lungs. Did an X-ray and it was certain. 3 days into antibiotics and bed rest I went back feeling worse and X-rays conformed it was worse. Started steroids and augmentin and made massive improvement, but it took almost 2 months to get back to some normal.

I am relative young and healthy, and it took a lot for me to rebound.....so go now! noaW!

It's not like strep and a tooth brush.....tooth brushes are nasty, imagine if you cleans your tooth brush like you do your mask and hose? Haha so I would think with a bit of extra sanitation, cpap would be much more help than hinderance ( might have to get up and hack out some phlegm every few hours but you should be sleeping all day if you have it!)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pneumonia/upper respiratory issues...any tips? tiredsam98 6 836 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
Arrow CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia SuperSleeper 582 95,024 02-13-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Can CPAP cause pneumonia? S.L. Ping Beauty 4 1,960 05-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Thank you all for your input last week... I have pneumonia kyhmm72 5 1,594 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Hmm888
Question Repertory problems including Pneumonia. HELP. allen4444 6 3,860 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Last Post: allen4444

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.