Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poligrip and mouth breathing
RE: Poligrip and mouth breathing
Frank, if you're interested in "training" without the goop, I've got a couple ideas for you. I dare you to try to take a breath through your mouth with your tongue even lightly resting on the roof of your mouth. It simply can't happen, and the successful use of a nasal interface is nothing more than maintaining this placement, even when you sleep. It's dead simple, or should be. Play with that concept a bit.

If you're game, put on the CPAP with pressure and play with controlling the pressure while awake. You should be able to control the air from entering your mouth, even with your mouth open. The seal just moves back in the throat a bit. Using this control, your should be able to talk by managing the pressure that will try to rush out, but you can stop that and speak clearly. Try taking a drink through a straw and swallowing without dumping water all over yourself. This is all pressure/air management. Practicing this and mastering it may translate into something you can maintain in your sleep. I don't know, but worth trying, and could be really amusing to watch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 09:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Frank, if you're interested in "training" without the goop, I've got a couple ideas for you. I dare you to try to take a breath through your mouth with your tongue even lightly resting on the roof of your mouth. It simply can't happen, and the successful use of a nasal interface is nothing more than maintaining this placement, even when you sleep. It's dead simple, or should be. Play with that concept a bit.

If you're game, put on the CPAP with pressure and play with controlling the pressure while awake. You should be able to control the air from entering your mouth, even with your mouth open. The seal just moves back in the throat a bit. Using this control, your should be able to talk by managing the pressure that will try to rush out, but you can stop that and speak clearly. Try taking a drink through a straw and swallowing without dumping water all over yourself. This is all pressure/air management. Practicing this and mastering it may translate into something you can maintain in your sleep. I don't know, but worth trying, and could be really amusing to watch.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree that is "All" I have to do, the other things I am trying are to ameliorate the situation until I have learned to "keep my big fat mouth" closed.

The test you suggest almost works. In my case, I can put my tongue up against the top of my mount with the tip against the back of my upper teeth and then can't not breath in - until I "curl" the back of my tongue - then in rushes the air, or more importantly out rushes the air in the case of the CPAP is on.

I frequently use that to test whether the machine is still working or not when I wake in the middle of the night. I can not tell from breathing, the pressure does not affect me at all, but if I curl the sides of the back of my tongue, or lower the back of my tongue the air will rush in and inflate my cheeks, so I look (I assume) like a chipmunk with their cheeks full of nuts...

I play with moving my tongue around and seeing how I can hold it to stop the air leak, while waiting to go to sleep. I focus on trying to pay attention while sleeping to mouth leaks. But it is all for not. Last night I slept for 3 1/2 hours with my mouth open (per my SH chart) and it was sound sleep with no issues. Sadly my wife didn't fair as well, the roaring sound of the air exhausting from my mouth woke her several times.

But, I agree, the LONG term solution is to learn to not leak by tongue control. It's how to get there in my case that is driving me crazy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
When I tongue-seal, it is with the back of the tongue. The tip is free to wiggle and flap around should I want. Perhaps you are trying to seal with the tongue too far forward?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 12:40 PM)chill Wrote: When I tongue-seal, it is with the back of the tongue. The tip is free to wiggle and flap around should I want. Perhaps you are trying to seal with the tongue too far forward?

Interesting I will have to try that.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I found poligrip works for a short time :<

I didn't think of a sweat band as a chin strap - a lot less $ too....

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 9 1,306 4 hours ago
Last Post: bobcoleman
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 6 151 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 160 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 924 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,678 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 341 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 128 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.