Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poligrip and mouth breathing
RE: Poligrip and mouth breathing
There is a thread on here called "fixing open mouth". Every time I see that, I think "My wife would love to do that to me, at least when I am awake!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 11:34 AM)BKeeper Wrote: As I read my post above, it is confusing because I am using 2 chin straps. It is the Papcap chinstrap that was riding in close to juncture of chin with neck. The breathable fabric chinstrap rode horizontally across my lips. I had a blowout last night which perhaps not coincidentally was when I shifted the Papcap chinstrap forward a little so it did not fire up close to my neck.

I wear my chin strap further back toward the throat on the jaw, also. It seems to help support my tongue more than when wearing it on the chin.

(05-10-2016, 03:17 PM)0rangebear Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 06:13 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 06:06 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Persistence is admirable, but just maybe the P10 isn't for you? Anyway, everybody knows that real men use a full face mask!
I think I am not a mouth breather, uncomfortable.

Me thinks mouth breather you are Grin

Oh-jeez
Buck up Frank and get mask that covers you mouth.

De Nile is a river in Egypt Laugh-a-lot

Dielaughing
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, good luck man! I'm blessed not to have this problem, and I look at your struggles to make nasal therapy work, and have nothing but respect for your perseverance. The idea of congealing my mouth together with denture cream is just nothing short of revulsion. If this works, I hope you get a good breakfast to forget about it. Yuck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 06:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Frank, good luck man! I'm blessed not to have this problem, and I look at your struggles to make nasal therapy work, and have nothing but respect for your perseverance. The idea of congealing my mouth together with denture cream is just nothing short of revulsion. If this works, I hope you get a good breakfast to forget about it. Yuck!

That is exactly why I started this thread, I couldn't imagine trying it - lol...

But, when I did it wasn't that bad. The best part is going to be tonight when I show my wife.

I was standing in front of the mirror and had the stuff on my lips and my lips were not quite all stuck together yet. I tried to open my mouth, and it looked exactly like that scene from Matrix where agent smith sealed Neo's mouth so he couldn't speak - lol... my wife will freak when I come out of the bathroom like that.

[Image: mouth.jpg]
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank, it's too bad you don't have TMJ issues (temporo mandibular joint). I struggle to keep my tongue from pressing against the roof of my mouth all *day*, so doing it at night is quite easy! Barring times when I really have a clogged nose and need to open the mouth, that tongue stays pressed real hard against the roof of my mouth. But I don't wish on you the other muscle aches that come with TMJ -- so best of luck with your attempts!

(And that picture is freaking me out .... )
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 06:13 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I have tried the F10, in fact I have several of them, and I have not found a way to make them work yet either. That is obviously my fall back position. At a pressure of 10 cm the F10 was pretty nice, and I only had to learn how to get the mask and my pillow to peacefully co-exist while I laid on my side. But, now that I am trying APAP, it likes my pressure up around 14 to 16 mostly and last night it was hovering around 20 for a while. In order to get the F10 to seal above ten I have not found anything that works except to tighten it, which defeats the silicone cushion seals by collapsing them and them I have to tighten the straps more and more - it becomes really uncomfortable.

Have you tried a different face mask which is better at higher pressures? The only reason I ask is that I have a F&P Simplus, and I've discovered that it seems to actually *improve* the seal as the pressure ramps up. With the air pillow cushions, I have a adequate seal at 9, and when the machine ramps up to 12 (or 15 previously), the cushions tend to inflate even more, pushing more against my face and providing an even better seal.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 02:17 AM)forrestc Wrote: Have you tried a different face mask which is better at higher pressures? The only reason I ask is that I have a F&P Simplus, and I've discovered that it seems to actually *improve* the seal as the pressure ramps up. With the air pillow cushions, I have a adequate seal at 9, and when the machine ramps up to 12 (or 15 previously), the cushions tend to inflate even more, pushing more against my face and providing an even better seal.

Thank you very much for that information, I may have to look into the Simples if I can't get the P10 to work. Not that I am stubborn Smile

Seriously, I will look into it. I will have to buy one on my own, I have worn out my welcome (exchanges) with my DME/Insurance for 6 months. But, If a mask change will fix this I am all for it, and can change my preferences to it in 6 months.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Last nights test with dental adhesive was a partial success. First time the seal lasted about 15 minutes - not too pretty good. I got up for an hour, cursed for a while, then tried again. The second time it lasted about 1 1/2 hours before I blew a leak into the seal.

So, I call that a partial success, since it means the idea basically works but I need to learn how to apply the glue so it doesn't blow out during the night. 4x improvement would get me to 6 hors sleep! Sounds like a goal to me. (BTW, it is not uncomfortable at all, much better than the over tight FFM alternative)

Here is the chart from last night, for most of you this will look horrible - BIG/LONG leaks, for me a couple positives are AHI was about 5, Pressure was ramping up and down (APAP working) AHI in second test (starting at 3:15) was very low if you exclude that cluster bomb that went off around 4:15... it looks like something caused a major perturbation in my breathing pattern around 4:15, I am thinking maybe REM sleep? So, could that cluster be REM related Apnea events? (which also caused the glue seal to be torn asunder?)

Oh, and that first half of the night the AHI was under 5 despite the massive leaks, and I woke up feeling fairly refreshed. Which is another positive!

Tonight I will attempt to create a more perfect union of upper and lower lips with the goal of promoting peaceful sleep throughout the night.

[Image: MouthGluedShut.png]
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Cluster bomb, I like it! I usually have a couple of those clusters each night. I've been assuming it's REM sleep. My breathing gets really ragged for a while.

Congrats on your success, er, I guess. That photo...wow. Too-funny

(05-11-2016, 06:22 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: if you exclude that cluster bomb that went off around 4:15... it looks like something caused a major perturbation in my breathing pattern around 4:15, I am thinking maybe REM sleep? So, could that cluster be REM related Apnea events?

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2016, 08:24 AM)green wings Wrote: Congrats on your success, er, I guess. That photo...wow. Too-funny

Thanks, I guess it is sort of success, I am going to try again and see if I can extend the time of no leaking from my mouth. Maybe I should contact a few surgeons and see if anyone would be willing to install a Ziplock on my mouth?

Frank
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,172 10 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.