Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Do you use an Oximeter?
This poll is closed.
YES
30.30%
10 30.30%
NO
39.39%
13 39.39%
CONSIDERING IT
30.30%
10 30.30%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll on Oximetry Usage
Poll on Oximetry Usage
The thread about "CO2 and Central Apneas", plus the thread " Shouldn't the goal of PAP treatment be to minimize Obstructive Apnea?" have made me wonder how many members here use Oximetry. So I made a poll to ask this.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poll on Oximetry Usage
Would be lost without my Oximeter, it does give vital information and I also like to go without my machine sometimes just to see if the apneas are really bad but sometimes I have a real good night without my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am thinking about getting an Oximeter for a more complete picture of what if any are the effects on my Central Apneas. They are pretty expensive!
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
The only time I use an oximeter is during sleep studies where I am wired up. I have never used one at home.

Your mileage may vary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
the cms50 series of pulse oximeters apparently work with sleepyhead. i'd appreciate it if the pulse ox users that are using one and incorporating it into sleepyhead would talk about which model (e, f, etc) seems to work the best and is most cost effective. i hate to pay for the newest if the next one down is just as good. thanks.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 04:02 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: the cms50 series of pulse oximeters apparently work with sleepyhead. i'd appreciate it if the pulse ox users that are using one and incorporating it into sleepyhead would talk about which model (e, f, etc) seems to work the best and is most cost effective. i hate to pay for the newest if the next one down is just as good. thanks.

I would like to learn this too. I got the impression somewhere, perhaps from reading the Sleepyhead material, that the CMS50 series was about fifty bucks.

I am almost holding my breath waiting for Jedimark to return to action.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
jedimark wrote [SleepyHead thread in the old forum (page 7)]
.............................................................................................
Different things can affect it.. Check the leaks and snore graphs, pressure pulses (bright red dots) and other surrounding events for more clues. eg, you could pull the mask up for a few seconds, and it will skip the breath.. you could be rolling over, awake and concentrating hard, etc...

The clinical definition of an obstructive apnea, is major reduction in airflow (<10% of baseline) for at least 10 seconds, accompanied by an oxygen desaturation of 3 or 4%.

Hypopnea is similarly defined, with a reduction to <50% of baseline.

It's the oxygen desaturations that really matter, as this is what causes the damage made by OSA/CA. If your worried, invest in an oximeter if you haven't already.. I recommend the cheap Contec CMS50's.. (at least a D+, with a usb port), available from eBay and everywhere else.

SleepyHead has a few tricks to get the oximetry data to compare against CPAP.. My current favourite method is starting both CPAP and oximeter recording at the same time. Import the CPAP data first, and then when you import the oximeter, it will pick the starting time of the CPAP session. This is the most accurate sync method I've found..

Even when it's synced, the SpO2 (oxygen saturation %) is delayed by 15 seconds or so, as the blood at your fingertip represents what was at your heart back when that blood was pumping through. (The actual time of this delay depends on your blood pressure, size of arteries/veins, and the length of your arms)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 04:17 PM)Netskier Wrote:
(03-25-2012, 04:02 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: the cms50 series of pulse oximeters apparently work with sleepyhead. i'd appreciate it if the pulse ox users that are using one and incorporating it into sleepyhead would talk about which model (e, f, etc) seems to work the best and is most cost effective. i hate to pay for the newest if the next one down is just as good. thanks.

I would like to learn this too. I got the impression somewhere, perhaps from reading the Sleepyhead material, that the CMS50 series was about fifty bucks.

I am almost holding my breath waiting for Jedimark to return to action.

pretty sure we want the e or f model. remember when looking at oximeters, they mostly say for sports use, not for medical use. the reason is the mfgr is doing an end run around calling it a medical device and getting into the prescription arena. whether it says sports or medical it measures o2 sat the same accurately.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I see the cms50 for about 50 bucks online but the cheapest I can find the cms50 Plus is 90$. I actually thought the oximeters would be hundreds so I am ordering the 50D plus since it is much cheaper than I thought.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my oximeter in the mail yesterday (CMS-50D) and used it for the first time last night. I ran the OxiMetry Report and was pleasantly surprised that my O2 didn't drop down any lower than 94% with a basal O2 of 97%. However the heart rate seems kind of low and I was wondering if that's normal to be so low when you're sleeping. Avg pulse was 57.6 and the low pulse was 44.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 730 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 623 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Extreme Anxiety during day after CPAP usage...something physiological? gohoos1998 9 717 12-29-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Leedsunited92
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 487 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 437 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol
  Would like to add Pulse Oximetry to my monitoring Boreas 3 589 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Boreas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.