Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What is your BMI?
This poll is closed.
Underweight: 18.5 or less
1.47%
1 1.47%
Normal: 18.5-24.9
23.53%
16 23.53%
Overweight: 25-29.9
29.41%
20 29.41%
Obese: 30-34.9
25.00%
17 25.00%
Clin Obese: 35-39.9
7.35%
5 7.35%
Morbid: 40+
13.24%
9 13.24%
Total 68 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Poll, what is your BMI?
RE: Poll, what is your BMI?
(11-12-2017, 08:29 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Here's the categories:

1. Normal-pencil neck geek

2. Pudgy

3. chubby

4. Fat

5. Really Fat

6. I give up hand me the Twinkies

LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
BMI is not just flawed it's seriously flawed. The best indicator of obesity is the caliper test.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 6 feet tall. 66 years old. At the gym 5 days a week. Martial arts 3 times a week. I am a fifth degree black belt and instructor and this summer is did about 1500 miles on a bicycle. I weigh 182 lbs and my body fat is around 17 %. This chart says I am obese. Hmmmm
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2017, 08:10 PM)pianomanss87 Wrote: I am 6 feet tall. 66 years old. At the gym 5 days a week. Martial arts 3 times a week. I am a fifth degree black belt and instructor and this summer is did about 1500 miles on a bicycle. I weigh 182 lbs and my body fat is around 17 %. This chart says I am obese. Hmmmm

actually that puts you at 24 which is normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok whatever, I though that I could get every member to vote in the poll, but with 30 votes we are not going to get good results.

Thanks all that voted.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would probably have helped if you'd explained what BMI stood for, how it was computed, etc.  Not immediately recognising the initials, I came up with "Bloody Marvelous Image",  and a couple of others that shouldn't appear in this forum.  

While I know I'm overweight, I have no idea what my BMI is. And at this stage of my life, I really don't care! oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
My BMI is just >30, I'm pretty heavy built and muscular. People are usually rating me -20% in weight. Caliper results are normal. Sleep doctor checked the throat and confirmed it normal. My belly is significantly smaller than my chest. However body mass plays a role because more oxygen and energy must be provided by the Body. Organic restrictions are more likely when demand is high.
However BMI is abused in the way it is widely used in medicine today for sure. Being obese would probably cause restrictions to the airways and the pumping of the lungs. But obstructions are by far not the only reason we are treated with PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 08:29 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Here's the categories:

1. Normal-pencil neck geek

2. Pudgy

3. chubby

4. Fat

5. Really Fat

6. I give up hand me the Twinkies

#6 Laugh-a-lot Oh-jeez What shape are you in (generic not specific to anyone)? ROUND!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And FWIW before the bariatric surgery I had BMI of 41. Because of the BMI of 41 and SA my insurance paid for said bariatric sleeve surgery as it was categorized as a co-morbid situation.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another descriptor: apple shaped or pear shaped?
ie where does your body store most excess fat - abdomen vs thighs and buttocks? The latter is somewhat better.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question PHILIPS SYSTEMS RECALL - Future Purchases [POLL] WakeUpTime 56 7,192 08-11-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: josedeca
  [Diagnosis] POLL: Do you know of anyone who was NOT diagnosed with Apnea after a sleep "study"? S. Manz 28 2,371 07-28-2021, 09:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,106 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] New Poll is in the Works PollCat 10 1,833 11-18-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mper6794
  [CPAP] Poll on ResMed N30i mask SarcasticDave94 22 4,547 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: elwoodpdowd
  [Equipment] Poll: How many turn airplane mode ON after compliance? SarcasticDave94 36 5,918 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Question NOSE-HOLE POLL SuperSleeper 44 20,470 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.