Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor Coordination of CPAP and Oxygen Drop Data
Poor Coordination of CPAP and Oxygen Drop Data
I am just starting my CPAP treatment and I assumed that there would be good coordination of data of Apnea events with oxygen saturation data drops recorded with a continuous finger pulse oxygen monitor.  That does not seem to be the case.  See attached Apnea event data recorded by my Resmed Airsense 10 and the results from my Wellue Continuous Ring Oxygen Monitor.   The Airsense recorded my only obstructive apnea for the night at 1:36 am.  My oxygen Ring showed my largest 4% drop to 90% saturation occurring a half hour later at 2:05 am.
Likewise, the hypopneas & clear airway apneas that occurred between 3:40 & 4:40 am were noted during a period of no SpO2 drops according to the oxygen monitor.  The Airsense 10 has given me an AHI of 9.14 when my oxygen ring monitor has recorded only 2 SpO2 drops of 3% for the entire night.   And then it measured an AHI of 1.96 when my oxygen monitor recorded 15 drops of 3% & 6 drops of 4%.  This does not make sense.  Can anyone share an explanation of why the oxygen drop results do not correlate with the apnea data?

Before I started by CPAP therapy, the Oxygen monitor was helpful in demonstrating that I get a much higher number of oxygen drops & drops below 90% saturation when sleeping on my back than on my side.   I thought it would be helpful in monitoring the effectiveness of my CPAP therapy as well.  Not so sure at this point.  Thanks for any insights. 

[attachment=29817]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor Coordination of CPAP and Oxygen Drop Data
I have same devices as you, O2Ring and Airsense, and started my own thread before I found yours, so I am quite interested to see what we hear from experienced folks, here.  I run O2 Cleanup from the Data dropdown; have you done so and what is the effect?  Most so called events are eliminated once you get rid of movement artifact, it seems.  My desat occurs only as I fall asleep, which I am very curious about: 5 to 10 pts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your post.  I read your thread and the replies you received.   Seems like others also see no SsO2 desaturation during apnea events.  Does not seem logical to me but perhaps someone will share some more insight on the reasons for this to better explain it.

Regarding your question about the saturation drop as you fall asleep, see the link below to the soft cervical collar wiki.  I noticed on some of my Oscar data that I had clusters of apneas at various times and the wiki on "soft cervical collars" relates these to a positional issue known as "chin tuck".   I think that this is why I have more apneas & oxygen denaturizations when I sleep on my back.  I decided to get one and try it out and see if it helps eliminate the clusters.    You may want to review this wiki and see if it applies to your situation.  I tried to post a link to it but the forum would not let me do so.  Apparently I do not have permission to add links yet.
I'm also a newbie and found that the wiki's on Optimizing CPAP Therapy and Soft Cervical Collars had a lot of useful information for new members.  Worth checking out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Got a private msg link to cervical collar article. I am going to play with sleep position using a curved mem foam pillow that lifts chin up and back. If that works during first part of sleep, I may get a collar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the link for anyone that wants to read it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 166 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 248 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  [CPAP] Need help with low pulse ox data/CPAP data Dan E 5 403 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 674 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.