Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor Man's "Sleep Study"
Poor Man's "Sleep Study"
Hi Everyone;

Here's a puzzle I've been pondering....

What would it take to set up my machine in order to simulate "No C/Bi-Pap" effect?  The purpose would be to use OSCAR to see what my current baseline is.  I *feel* like my CO2 levels have reset and I *might* not need to use my machine anymore.  I can hardly sleep a wink at a traditional sleep study, and with the Delta Variant of CV19 rising in my county, I'm not eager to go to a sleep center overnight anyway. 

Thoughts?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor Man's "Sleep Study"
You can't.

The minimum pressure on most devices is 4cm (some 3cm). Therefore you are providing some therapy and not simulating no-PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2021, 03:34 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: You can't.

The minimum pressure on most devices is 4cm (some 3cm). Therefore you are providing some therapy and not simulating no-PAP.

True enough. I would expect that some kind of pressure is needed to overcome the resistance of the tubing and provide air.  Maybe just setting the machine to minimum would get close to what I'm trying to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Straight 4 cmH2O and see what OSCAR says. It's not the same as actual diagnosic obviously. It can't record if you're sleeping or not. If you see Apnea then you still have it.

I doubt your CO2 level, if treatment emergent CA, has risen enough to eliminate need for PAP. But CO2 levels could be where TE/CA aren't an issue and you're left to deal with Obstructive Apnea and Hypopnea. But unless your overall AHI was very minor to begin with, I doubt you're not going to need PAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The conclusion will be one of three outcomes
1. We see obstructive events of over 5 and can say you definitely still have apnea
2. We see no events and can only conclude that you are well treated at the machine's minimum.
3. you are in the gray area between the first 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you can do is to set your minimum pressures to something like 4/5 and then see what the machine thinks. If you peg the machine at 5 all night then the machine thinks you have apnea. If you never get very far off 4, then maybe you don't?
Post Reply Post Reply
Something that could be worth a shot is getting a pulse oximeter and comparing the results of one night on pap and one night off pap
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and suggestions. 

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Get contec RS01 for 100usd as it comes with nasal canula pressure sensor, O2, heart rate and ppg all at 0 pressure support. They have auto score software for apnea, hypopnea and desaturations, but I would manually score it based on heart rate arousals, flow curve shapes and desaturations. This is by far the cheapest way to evaluate your current status at 0 pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2021, 04:31 AM)selfcoacher Wrote: Get contec RS01 for 100usd as it comes with nasal canula pressure sensor, O2, heart rate and ppg all at 0 pressure support.  They have auto score software for apnea, hypopnea and desaturations, but I would manually score it based on heart rate arousals, flow curve shapes and desaturations.  This is by far the cheapest way to evaluate your current status at 0 pressure.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 221 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 75 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.