Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poor sleep quality and how it affects you
Poor sleep quality and how it affects you
I've probably had Apnea for years just didn't realize it. Despite my wife nagging me to do something I still didn't.

I used to fall asleep on the sofa watching TV and always be tired. I just thought it was me getting old. Other than that I had none of the things in the sleepiness test (e.g. falling asleep whilst talking/driving etc)

I guess that's the thing - you don't really know you're sleep quality is bad.

Good news is I'm getting treatment now. CPAP etc. Not sorted yet but getting there.

Wife has told me (she has been nice about it) that I'm really short tempered etc and snappy. Thinking about it - shes probably right, people driving seem to annoy, even people not looking where they're going in the supermarket.

Just wondered if its not just me? Like I said, you don't really know you're sleep deprived I guess. 

Either that or I'm turning into a grumpy old man!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Poor sleep quality and how it affects you
(12-13-2023, 08:09 AM)p123 Wrote: I've probably had Apnea for years just didn't realize it. Despite my wife nagging me to do something I still didn't.

I used to fall asleep on the sofa watching TV and always be tired. I just thought it was me getting old. Other than that I had none of the things in the sleepiness test (e.g. falling asleep whilst talking/driving etc)

I guess that's the thing - you don't really know you're sleep quality is bad.

Good news is I'm getting treatment now. CPAP etc. Not sorted yet but getting there.

Wife has told me (she has been nice about it) that I'm really short tempered etc and snappy. Thinking about it - shes probably right, people driving seem to annoy, even people not looking where they're going in the supermarket.

Just wondered if its not just me? Like I said, you don't really know you're sleep deprived I guess. 

Either that or I'm turning into a grumpy old man!

Things change as one grows older, and it's not always for the better. I'm 69 and I know that I'm changing and it's not by me wanting to. 

My balance isn't as good, I can't recall things in my head as easily as I used to. I think of myself as still in good health, compared to others I know in the same age group. But.....I have aches & pains that I didn't used to have. They aren't life changing, and some OTC medications help. 

Sleep habits can and do change as you get older. I was on CPAP for three years and didn't feel an improvement in my sleep. I've been off it now for over a year and am doing fine. I adapted to CPAP quickly and w/o any issues. I took to it from the very 1st night on. It just didn't make a difference. It's now packed away and I have a ton of new / unused supplies for it. 

Sleep can be subjective and we all have differing results, for a variety of reasons. The last time I went to see my doc, they asked me what month it was and the date. Next, they asked me if I had any area rugs on the floor in our house. I guess at my age, they can be a tripping hazard. 

It sucks getting old(er) but it still beats being dead.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha ha like the last bit!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2023, 09:10 PM)Big Guy Wrote:  The last time I went to see my doc, they asked me what month it was and the date. Next, they asked me if I had any area rugs on the floor in our house. I guess at my age, they can be a tripping hazard. 

It sucks getting old(er) but it still beats being dead.  Eat-popcorn

Then they told me my dogs and cat have to go. They are a tripping hazard.

My response, "I have to get them up off my lap, before I can trip over them".

Long winter ahead, guess I have time to contemplate this.
Post Reply Post Reply
It definitely makes you short tempered and snappier. My dad got diagnosed when I was in my 20s and he was in his late 50's, and the difference was night and day. It really made a huge difference in his personality, and it was wild to see how incredibly the lack of sleep (that he wasn't really even aware of) was affecting him. Good for you for working on this - best of luck, and congratulations on taking this step.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently came across this article referenced in "Sleep Review":

In fact, prolonged sleep deprivation is an especially insidious form of torture because it attacks the deep biological functions at the core of a person’s mental and physical health. It is less overtly violent than cutting off someone’s finger, but it can be far more damaging and painful if pushed to extremes.

here is the link to the article referenced.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blo...is-torture

Post Reply Post Reply
It's pretty astounding how much poor sleep can impact us, and often, it's so gradual that we barely notice the changes day by day. It's great that you're taking steps to improve your sleep. You're definitely not alone in this!

In addition to your treatment, I recommend improving your sleep environment, starting with your pillow and mattress. I've personally been using a pillow from Pluto for a while now, and it has made a noticeable difference. And since I swapped to a memory foam mattress from Tempur-Pedic, the quality of my rest has also improved a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 288 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 134 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 171 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 807 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 242 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 323 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 280 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.