Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Popping Cracking Sound
Popping Cracking Sound
I am a fairly recent user of the ResMed S9 AutoSet with a H5I Humidifier. Unfortunately, my machine makes a popping/cracking sound 24/7. When I spoke with my provider they first suggested that I turn the humidifier. I did the sound did not go away. They then exchanged the humidifier. The sound did not go away. They then exchanged the entire unit, and yes, the problem is still there. I am now in the processing of changing manufacturers because my confidence level has been shot. BTW, they had at least one other customer that had the same problem. Today, I googled and found out the S8 was recalled for the same problem.

Is anyone else having this problem? The discussion on the one that turned off in the middle of the night sounds like it was also part of the S8 recall: electrical failure such as intermittent power, cracking sounds, sparking, and charred smell.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Popping Cracking Sound
Hi jbroileshi01,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't had that problem but hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck getting this straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

is the popping sound coming from the tube or mask? do you have water inside the tube or mask. I had similar incident and found out that my humidity level is high thus creating a rain out. the water inside pushed to my mask and creating a popping sound. One thing though to consider is to keep the bottom of the water tub dry. hope this helps.

try to check as well if the s9 is creating the sound by covering the air outlet on your humidifier. if not, then the problem lies on the tube or mask.

cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
make sure that you keep your power supply somewhere other than right next to your CPAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am moving this to the Main Forum where it can get the attention it needs.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S8 is a different animal. The S8 has an internal power supply where the 120 VAC line goes directly into the machine. S9's have an external power brick. I think one cannot relate the S8 recall to the S9 machines.

It is odd that to OP says the S9 makes a noise 24/7 -- even more odd is that 2 consecutive machines would make the noise. Nothing should be moving or turning during idle periods after the cool-down period. Is the machine on a surface that might amplify very slight sounds? Back to basics -- what about when it's insitu; but the power cable is disconnected?

Regarding ResMed's advice to keep the power brick away from the machine; That's just CYA on ResMed's part. The machine has to be resistant to levels of EMI seen in proximity to the power brick; or they would be getting sued by patients whose machines acted up from the multiple EMI sources in our modern society.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 12:45 PM)justMongo Wrote: The S8 is a different animal. The S8 has an internal power supply where the 120 VAC line goes directly into the machine. S9's have an external power brick. I think one cannot relate the S8 recall to the S9 machines.

It is odd that to OP says the S9 makes a noise 24/7 -- even more odd is that 2 consecutive machines would make the noise. Nothing should be moving or turning during idle periods after the cool-down period. Is the machine on a surface that might amplify very slight sounds? Back to basics -- what about when it's insitu; but the power cable is disconnected?

Regarding ResMed's advice to keep the power brick away from the machine; That's just CYA on ResMed's part. The machine has to be resistant to levels of EMI seen in proximity to the power brick; or they would be getting sued by patients whose machines acted up from the multiple EMI sources in our modern society.

I returned two S9's because there were problems with it and they claimed it was because I kept the power supply on the same table with the machine (that is what they told me after the 2nd failure and replacement). With the replacement, I put the power supply on the floor and never had an issue with that machine. So, who knows?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 07:27 PM)me50 Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 12:45 PM)justMongo Wrote: The S8 is a different animal. The S8 has an internal power supply where the 120 VAC line goes directly into the machine. S9's have an external power brick. I think one cannot relate the S8 recall to the S9 machines.

I returned two S9's because there were problems with it and they claimed it was because I kept the power supply on the same table with the machine (that is what they told me after the 2nd failure and replacement). With the replacement, I put the power supply on the floor and never had an issue with that machine. So, who knows?

I wonder if the EMI put out by the transformer is enough to set off the little speaker in there that beeps at you. They probably never bothered or thought to shield a speaker (or it might have cut into the profits by a nickle a unit!)!

Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2014, 07:41 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(03-05-2014, 07:27 PM)me50 Wrote:

I wonder if the EMI put out by the transformer is enough to set off the little speaker in there that beeps at you. They probably never bothered or thought to shield a speaker (or it might have cut into the profits by a nickle a unit!)!

Mike

These power supplies are switchers. Power supplies have moved away from transformer, rectifier, filter, regulators to switching supplies. The efficiency is much higher.

EMI was one of my multifaceted engineering disciplines.

Most switching supplies have shielding to prevent their interference with communications devices.

My S8 is between my DVD player and two DECT 6 cordless phones with no ill effects.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my S9 used and it has been flawless, I had heard very little negative on this model. Actually the only thing I had heard was that it is the near the top standard for this equipment. If the humidifier is even in question pull it off and run the main unit by itself. The odds are against having two units with the same problem but anything is possible. Hope you get it figured out soon, but as for me if I see another used one reasonably priced I'm jumping on it just in case (or when) I would have a problem with mine. Tell us more about when this makes noise, if it was power you would think the whole thing would go off or reset. The thing I would think could make noise would be the blower but that would be obvious with pressure jumping or blades crashing or something.
Good luck. Doc
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 192 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 288 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] DS2 Making whirring sound when inhaling egg 5 1,875 12-28-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Agent Smith
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 667 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [CPAP] AirSense 10 beep or ding sound Baklash 0 514 07-30-2023, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Baklash
  Constant air leak sound but leak doesn't show up in software shanky 2 857 02-05-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: shanky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.