Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apnea Mouth Guard?
Positional Apnea Mouth Guard?
I know cervical collars are the go to for positional apnea but I was wondering if any users have found luck with using a mouth guard instead?

I am still working with trying to improve my grandfathers results and still trying to understand if clustered apnea is obstructive or central in nature. If obstructive I assume it is positional so I tried to get him to use a cervical collar. The problem is that he has a short thick neck and the collar doesn't seem to do much. They have trouble getting it to stay under chin to begin with and in the little they have tried it there hasn't been significant effects on apneas. 

I was wondering about trying a mouth guard style instead as I believe they are supposed to do roughly the same thing. One thing I am not sure about is how that would work with a full face mask. 

Anyways just curious on others members findings if they have tried this.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea Mouth Guard?
I can't see how a mouth guard can prevent putting your neck/head in a position that causes airway obstruction which is the main use of a cervical collar. 

I don't use either as I found the cervical collar caused me to suffer from aerophagia and was more disruptive to my sleep go figure
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2020, 01:56 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: I can't see how a mouth guard can prevent putting your neck/head in a position that causes airway obstruction which is the main use of a cervical collar. 

I don't use either as I found the cervical collar caused me to suffer from aerophagia and was more disruptive to my sleep go figure

Mouth guard is supposed to hold lower jaw forward which is one of the things a cervical collar does by holding chin forward. 

Unfortunately I don't think a cervical collar will ever work for him, there is barely any chin for the collar to act on so his chin just slides under collar. 

His issue is either obstructive or central, it isn't clear as events get flagged differently depending on what mask he uses. We are currently doing some tests with EPR off to see if that reduces events which would indicate centrals are the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a short neck & can't stand ties or turtlenecks because they come right up to my chin. even so, I use a collar to reduce clusters & especially lip leaks, but I have to tighten it more than the loose fit commonly recommended here. I don't like it but can't get by without it due to those lip leaks.

if a collar won't work, try the chin strap that pulls up rather than back.

I used a jaw advancement retainer in the 90's but not with cpap. with cpap I tried a tongue advancement device but had too much drooling & leaks with my nasal pillow mask. I can only guess the MAD would work better on the assumption the user can more easily keep their lips closed than with the tongue device.
Post Reply Post Reply
A thought. I have a cap with a velcro strap that goes under my chin. I wear it when other choices aren't working well.

Thanks PaulaO2 for your review.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Pur-Sleep

(I might build a shelf, and put all the implements of some sort I've bought to prevent mouth breathing. Let's see...a bunch of chinstraps; some stretched beyond belief; some like new, because they didn't work. Wedges; Dr Dakota and others. Inflatable neck collars. CPap Cap.) There must be more.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
The other product members have recommended is the Knightsbridge dual chin strap.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2020, 12:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The other product members have recommended is the Knightsbridge dual chin strap.

Thank you. Excellent.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 84 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.