Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apnea and going for CPAP
Positional Apnea and going for CPAP
Hi
For years I've been having waves of tiredness during the mornings, and my wife says I do snore loudly. All my blood tests have been fine, I exercise regularly and am fortunate to have good health in general.

Last month I got a diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and a referral for a trial of CPAP therapy.
But after researching a bit, including on this amazing site, I'm wondering if I should try something simpler first.

The sleep study results were:
71 apnea events/hr while supine
< 9 events/hr otherwise
Saturation fell below baseline of 97% on 86 occasions
Saturation was below 90% for 1% of the total time

So this sounds like the apnea is strongly positional.

When I try the chin-tuck test described in the wiki (I'm not allowed to post a link to it), I don't feel any difference at all, except if I open my mouth very wide too.
If I lie supine and try to relax my throat, I can feel difficulty breathing. Being on my side while relaxing my throat allows much better air flow.
My BMI is normal.

So that suggests my case really is due to being supine, and not chin tuck.

I admit to being slightly hypochondriac, so I'm worried that being on CPAP and monitoring my results is going to turn into an obsession.

So for now I'm going to try to figure out how not to sleep on my back. I read a study that claims the tennis ball method is ineffective. I'm going to try an upgrade: strapping 2 tennis balls on my back with a bra. (Of course I'll need to explain to my kids what's going on first).

Does anyone have any insights about this?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea and hesitant about CPAP
[attachment=43947][attachment=43947]Hi, I was suffering from supine positional apnea, like you, not "chin tuck positional  apnea", so a collar did not work for me after much, much trying. 

I saw an immediate improvement with 3 tennis balls attached to a Tshirt , but somewhat uncomfortable as shirt was moving around.

A month ago I  perfected the method; 3 tennis balls slipped in the lining of a chest support brace -see attached image. 

Cost, brace €24 (Amazon), tennis balls,€3 total €27.

Hope of some us
Post Reply Post Reply
FyI your 9 events per hour should IMHO still be treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
The experts here, like Gideon, need data charts so they can give meaningful guidance. Even if you don't sleep on your back, you will still need to be treated with an AHI of 9. I recommend getting a ResMed AS10 or AS 11 Autoset. ResMed makes different machines in the As10 and AS11 family, so the word "Autoset" is important.
Then download OSCAR, record nightly data on an SD card inserted 0in the CPAP machine, download data to PC/laptop, create the charts and post here.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I guess that I will still need to avoid sleeping supine even once I start CPAP therapy, is that correct?

I have started looking into CPAP machines. My insurance offers a very limited range with co-pay:
One European model:
  • Loewenstein-Weinmann Prisma SMART
And a few Chinese models
  • BMC ResSMART G2S A20
  • BMC ResSMART GII
  • XIAONIU SA100A
Any of the above would cost me ~ $150

I may be able to get special approval for a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet, for an additional $300. Is this the favored model on this forum, or is it the "brick"?

Any advice about how to decide whether the Resmed is worth the extra money over the Prisma?
Post Reply Post Reply
If tracking your data is important to you, then try to get the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Only paying $300 for that would be an absolute bargain here in the US.

As far as I know, OSCAR does not support the other models you listed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2022, 08:17 AM)EddyDee Wrote: OK, I guess that I will still need to avoid sleeping supine even once I start CPAP therapy, is that correct?

I think once you're on CPAP therapy you can sleep in any position you want. My pre-CPAP total AHI was 30 with my supine at 58. Now my total AHI is almost always less than one.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Loewenstein-Weinmann Prisma SMART is a well regarded machine, and there is software to monitor your results in our private files area, so I think it would be a very good choice, even if it is not as well known in North America as the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey,
I am following the CPAP therapy. CPAP therapy is the best solution for your OSA treatment. But in my last visit, my GP advised me to practice some physio exercises that help to reduce the episodes of apnea. Physical therapy intervened in treating OSA like an aerobics method for weight loss. The regular physio exercises for OSA result in the fitness of cardiorespiratory, daytime sleeping, and effectiveness of sleep. In mild cases, tongue exercise would be significant progress. Better to try a CPAP along with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
I scheduled a week-long trial of Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for this Wednesday.
I don't know what masks they will offer me, but I heard mention of Swift Fx and BMC P2, both of which seem to be nasal pillows.

What questions should I ask them when I go in to start the trial?

What should I look out for when deciding is this machine/mask is right for me?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 352 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 84 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 387 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  REM or Positional? prp1714 11 559 01-24-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: prp1714

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.