Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apnea and going for CPAP
RE: Positional Apnea and hesitant about CPAP
If you can choose two masks to trial at first I would probably trial a Nasal Mask and a Full Face Mask. That way if you find that you are a mouth breather you have a FFM to trial. If you got 2 Nasal Masks and you mouth breathe you have few options other than returning them or using chin straps or mouth taping etc.

Just my opinion.
I live in the Land Downunder
Post Reply Post Reply
Jonah - I checked out your link, physio exercises for OSA , and didn't find any mention of that subject.  Are you just trying to promote this group?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I was supposed to go for a trial of the machine tomorrow, but I got a positive COVID-19 test and am now isolating...

So far no major symptoms thankfully.

Assuming I'm back in circulation next week, is it OK to go ahead with the trial then? Or could recovering from COVID interfere with the results, whether subjective or objective? If so, how long should I wait?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2022, 09:39 AM)ThinMountainAir Wrote: I think once you're on CPAP therapy you can sleep in any position you want. My pre-CPAP total AHI was 30 with my supine at 58. Now my total AHI is almost always less than one.

I wouldn't count on this. In my own case, supine position results in high AHI even with ASV. These machines can only blow so hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it, the sleeping positions recommended are as follows:
#1 - sleep on the right side.
#2 - sleep on the left side.
$3 - sleep on the back. This is the least preferred choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started my trial of the Resmed AS10, and I have a couple of questions. (These traces are from the seond night, the first night included futzing with the headgear and figuring out how to cough. Also F12 in OSCAR doesn't work for me, it gives only the top left segment of the screen).

I am trying to figure out whether I need CPAP at all, so I want to make sure I'm doing this trial right.

In this trace, the pressure went up from 4 to nearly 7, but I can't see the reason for the increase. There are no events in the trace around 00:52 when the pressure started rising, but there is some leak and tidal volume changes (sighing?).

Are the centrals towards the end anything of concern?

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
With your current settings with minimum pressure of 4, maximum 12 and EPR 3, the EPAP pressure never get above 4. You would be better off with a minimum pressure of 6.0 and EPR 2 maximum pressure 8.0 The CA events are morning arousals and not an indication of a problem. Therapy looks good, and the suggested settings above will stabilize pressure and should be more comfortable for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Sleeprider thanks so much for your comment.

I'm new to all this so I'd like to understand better.

I think you are saying to raise the min level to 6 because most of the time the machine is raising it above 5 anyway? If I then set EPR to 2, that means the EPAP pressure can go down to 4? And with IPAP at 6 and EPAP at 4, I would be more comfortable than with both of them at 4? Why is that?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Two reasons.

You are more effectively treating a number of obstructive issues, including the stuff your RT is talking about.

With the difference in pressure it is easier to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finished my trial of the AS10 (last night's data attached).
I adapted just fine to the nasal pillows, and didn't really experience any difficulties with having the machine going thru the night. But although the numbers look very good, I don't feel any different.
So I'm still feeling hesitant about whether I really need to make this significant life change and take on a lifetime of CPAP use.

I asked for the full data of my original sleep study, let's see what they come back with. I'm wondering what the details really show. Like if my super-high AHI was when I was awake lying on my back, then it doesn't mean anything does it?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 160 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 560 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 815 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 130 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 549 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 368 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 427 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.