Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apnea, maybe this will work, will test and let you know
Positional Apnea, maybe this will work, will test and let you know
So, it's been a year now on C-pap and I am finding that my sleep is excellent while on my side. My AHI is very low compared to when I sleep on my back. Of course, I have no clue when I am rolling over, however, BUT I do see myself waking up as evidenced on the Sleepy Head information because I note it on the clock when waking and I am on my back, this is where my apnea occurs.

So after talking to my doctor, we are doing an experiment, he suggested tennis balls in my Pj's to stop me from rolling over. I was trying that today while awake, and found that although it still allowed me to roll over, within a few minutes my back was killing me so I thoughts, hmmmmm what can I use to keep from rolling over? I saw this thing called Rematee, and it's air filled bumpers on a shoulder type thing and with the height of them, there is no way you can roll over, it stops you. I am not going to spend $100.00 for this device, and thought, SWIMMIES, you know the kind kids use? I have attached them to a sleep bra on either side and will begin this test tonight.

I will see if I see a change in my numbers for the entire night. If I see a big difference then I think I will continue until my next sleep test which is at the end of March. It will be great to go to the sleep doctor and show him what I have learned.

I am finding now that I am taking my mask off around 6:00am and then sleeping another few hours without it, and that sleep is deeper, so I don't know what is going on. My AHI has been at least 1.4 or less for an entire year, and my leaks are very low as well, so the doctor said it could be I have positional Apnea. He suspects it because during my last sleep study the tech made me sleep on my back and my AHI was terrible. He put me on 17 pressure. I went home and tried it, but my AHI was really bad and the leaks were awful. I called the doc and he put me on lower pressure and eventually I ended up at 5 using nasal pillows. HUGE difference from 17.

I will never understand why the tech made me sleep on my back, he literally had me flat on the bed, he kept coming into the room during my test and lowering the head board and then even took my pillow from me!! Seriously? From 17 to 5 is a huge difference. My AHI was through the roof on 17, and low on 5, go figure.

Has anyone tried this Rematee? I looked for it on the forum and saw a post, but really no info on it. However I am going to try my version with the Swimmies. Thank goodness for Sleepyhead software so I can check it out. The only thing I won't be able to check is my oxygen sat which will be noted on my sleep study at the end of the month.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea, maybe this will work, will test and let you know
Some people have used tennis balls in a backpack. Or sewn pockets on the back of an old tshirt. Pillows don't always work since they move. There's some stiff styrofoam wedges you can get from foam stores that might work if you put it under the sheet but no guarantee it won't move even then. You might could Velcro it to a shirt but come summer, that's gonna get hot.

There's a bumper belt thing I have heard of but I don't think anyone has ever used it as the price was just too much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is it, the bumper belt, however I made my own using swimmies and sewing them into a sleep bra. They projected out very obviously and so it was impossible last night to turn over on my back.

I know that 1 night doesn't make a diagnosis but I had no apnea events last night and never once turned over on my back. I did have a hyponia.

I find this very suspicious of positional apnea, and truly I hope that is what it is because I will be able to be free of the machine. Coupled with the weight loss I have had, hopefully this will help my doctor on my visit at the end of the month make a decision. I know I have to be aware of the oxygen sat as well, and only through the sleep study will I be able to know that, and how it plays into my health.

I slept all the way through last night except for 1 bio break which I never do, I toss and turn a lot, so we will see. I will keep you all posted. Thanks so much for everyones help, you are all amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you use an oximeter? That's what will tell you of events, kinda sorta. Sleeping on your side won't cure you.

I know we all have a line of tolerance. I just find it weird that you would rather wear a bra with swimmer things sewed into it every night for the rest of your life than wear a mask and use a CPAP. I'd rather wear the mask. I hate being forced into a single position all freakin' night long. I often am anyway due to body pains. So the idea of sleeping like that forever....shudder.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
My problem is I have never slept well with C-pap. I wake about every 2 to 3 hours, and when looking at the data, there really is no reason other than I find myself fiddling with the hose, adjusting the mask, rubbing my nose, or otherwise doing something with it when I turn about in the bed.

I have tried a lot of masks and settled on the P10, but had to use a strap and adjust it so it was tighter, and that took care of all the leaks. Not sleeping is just not an option anymore. I gave it a year and so I think it's just time to see if I can get off it. I lost over 40 lbs as well so that has helped, plus I began singing again, I am a retired professional vocalist. I do voice over now and use my voice all the time so I am strong in the throat, no digeredoo needed Smile

If it's possible, and safe, I am going for it, but not without making absolutely sure and hence the new sleep study that is scheduled for the end of March. I might find that I still need it and if so, then so be it. If I do, I probably will still use the swimmies contraption if the same thing happens for the next week, because at least, the combo worked. When I had Shingles, I did not use my mask for about a month, and I slept really well again, so I am really thinking the mask and tossing about is the culprit, so we will see. I have to sleep on my side, I have a knee replacement and on my back my knee gets so painful. Sleeping with a pillow between my knees is the only way I can manage it.

Truly, I can tell you that the contraption I wore last night was very comfy, I did not toss and turn, which was interesting seeing that I only woke 1 time last night and virtually left the mask alone, so I don't know what that is all about, it's a first, and hopefully something that will continue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I wasn't fussing at you at all, or downgrading your attempt. I was just thinking that for me, no way in heck could I do that.

If it works for you, go for it. Keep an oximeter on hand and do regular checks. Without the CPAP, there's no way to know if your position is continuing to work.

Side sleeping doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't for me, or not enough. But then my pressure needs are much higher.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I know you weren't fussing, I totally understand your position. I am just trying to find the answers and so far, this theory has proven out. Since I tried the contraption to stop me from rolling over on my back, I have had 3 nights with only 1 apnea, and that one I remember waking up, and turning over to my other side, and holding my breath. Of course turning was hysterical as I had to make sure I was lifting myself high enough to avoid the bumpers. Hopefully this will continue, and when I have my new sleep study, next step is the oxygen saturation test.

If this turns out to be positional Apnea, I will be happy to use this method instead of C-pap. It might not ever happen, but at least I am finding out one key in the puzzle.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it would be interesting if this works for you. Treatment is treatment, whether it is CPAP or surgery or doohickies sewed to a sleeping bra (which I didn't know existed!).
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 79 Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 86 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 349 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 609 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 82 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 130 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.