Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Circadience Advance Cloth Mask
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Positional Apnea, results from sleep study
I was finding that my AHI levels were pretty much non existent when sleeping on my side, and I also was sleeping through the night, which was something I never did while on my back and also when doing so, my numbers were higher. So I did an experiment and took a large Velcro band and put a few swimmies on the back of it and slept with it on, it was really quite comfy and IF I attempted to roll over on my back I could not. Sleeping on my side has always been my pattern.

I talked to the doc about it and he ordered me to have a study done using the parameters of the first study using the "bumpers" without a mask, then during the night taking them off and seeing how that changed my AHI. The study showed with sleeping on my side, my AHI was less than 7, on my back it went up to 11. My Oxygen sat went from 98% to 88% respectively.

Forgot to add, the reason I did this was because I was hoping to be able to get off the machine, but alas, it looks like I just need that small amount of support. Doc said, the apnea is 'MOSTLY' positional, but I still need it.
So last night I went back to get titrated with and without again, and my numbers on 4 pressure was 0.3, so 4 is my number, which is verified by my own experience with Sleepy Head, they give me pretty much the same read out.

The Tech was blown away with the absence of leaks with the P10 mask, she had never used it, but is going to check into it, so anyone thinking about this mask, she was a big fan, but it might not work for everyone.

I have to meet with the sleep doc in a few weeks when he gets the report, but wanted to pass this on to you. My doctor was willing to let me control the situation with sleeping on my side, which is great, that makes me happy that he takes my feelings into account.

The reason I had this done again was to see if I could get off the cpap because of the low numbers and low pressure, but even though it's "mostly positional apnea" I still need the small amount of support. wish it were otherwise, but that's ok. at least, I know now.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 11:50 AM by Marnid2014.)
06-04-2015 11:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Positional Apnea, results from sleep study
Many of us have worst obstructive apnea sleeping on our backs; and fewer events sleeping on the side.
Some folks rig up devices, like tennis balls sewn into the back of a night shirt to keep them off their back.
I have no idea what a swimmie is?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-04-2015 12:03 PM
Marnid2014 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite

Other Comments:

(06-04-2015 12:03 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Many of us have worst obstructive apnea sleeping on our backs; and fewer events sleeping on the side.
Some folks rig up devices, like tennis balls sewn into the back of a night shirt to keep them off their back.
I have no idea what a swimmie is?

Swimmies are those little floaty things that kids wear on their arms to learn to swim. I found they worked perfectly and were soft, unlike tennis balls.
06-04-2015 01:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tedburnsIII Offline

Members

Machine: 3B RESmart APAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp nasal; ResMed FX nasal
Humidifier: came with unit-I vary it, currently set at '3', '5' is max
CPAP Pressure: 10 cm CPAP

Other Comments: Dx moderately severe OSA. Overnight pulse oximeter-CMS50D Plus

My lab diagnostic showed AHI of only 2.3 on side ('normal'), but >76.0 while supine!

In any event, I try to sleep mostly on my side now, but I still feel lousy unless I am on the hose.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 03:50 PM by tedburnsIII.)
06-04-2015 03:49 PM
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

I've been, what I thought, was an exclusive side sleeper for several years and then found myself on my back more and more often, even with a support thingy to keep me from rolling on my back. The PA told me that inevitably, it catches up with you depending on the cause of your sleep apnea. In addition, side sleeping is now giving me back problems. Oh-jeez I do sympathize with you - you hoped to get off of it.

I'll have to look into the P10, but how's that cloth mask (sleepweaver) working for you?
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2015 04:29 PM by Mosquitobait.)
06-04-2015 04:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
tedburnsIII Offline

Members

Machine: 3B RESmart APAP
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp nasal; ResMed FX nasal
Humidifier: came with unit-I vary it, currently set at '3', '5' is max
CPAP Pressure: 10 cm CPAP

Other Comments: Dx moderately severe OSA. Overnight pulse oximeter-CMS50D Plus

Back sleeping is where it's at for one's back. I usually end up on my back anyway. Looks like CPAP for me forever, or at least until I die, that's ok, I am lucky that I feel so young again after a restful night's sleep!
06-04-2015 05:09 PM
Marnid2014 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite

Other Comments:

(06-04-2015 04:27 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:  I've been, what I thought, was an exclusive side sleeper for several years and then found myself on my back more and more often, even with a support thingy to keep me from rolling on my back. The PA told me that inevitably, it catches up with you depending on the cause of your sleep apnea. In addition, side sleeping is now giving me back problems. Oh-jeez I do sympathize with you - you hoped to get off of it.

I'll have to look into the P10, but how's that cloth mask (sleepweaver) working for you?

Sleep Weaver was good, but it felt "hot" like there was too much on my face. I am so claustrophobic and the best mask for me has been the P10
06-04-2015 05:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Online

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Marnid2014,
Good to hear from you again and it's good that you found out what was going on at your sleep study with your apnea.

trish6hundred
06-04-2015 06:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Got my diagnostic, MSLT, and CPAP titration results Beej 6 123 12-09-2016 11:41 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Sleep latency -study results Dagmar 1 105 12-06-2016 10:04 PM
Last Post: chill
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 338 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 247 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 461 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
Angry [News] DANGER OF UNDIAGNOSED SLEEP APNEA srlevine1 7 564 11-21-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 339 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k