Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apneas
RE: Positional Apneas
Hi Rich,
Good luck to you and thank you for posting your results. I look forward to reading more of your postings and I'm sure they will help others.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand the risks, I have tried and tried for the past couple of weeks...

Last night I was dead tired, yet woke up within a hour and 1/2 with hip pain.

I was then up for about 2.5 hours...

I did record my first 3.5 hour sleep cycle this am , with a total AHI of 9.38, by sleepyhead I slept soundly for 2.09 hours with a AHI of 6.01 and the rest of the sleep cycle, this lasted for 55.00 minutes and had a AHI of 25.09 the last part I had mask problems and was not totally asleep and only dozing.

I go to bed normally at around 9/10PM and sleep on and off all night to around 7/8AM...not good and not fun.

And even more up setting is I can often wake up for no known reason..I think I have gotten a habit of waking all by its self.

I had a problem with waking up for years, normally two to three time to take a leak, then the surgery that so disrupted my sleep even much more for the first two months seems to really added to my problem and so on.

I seem to be in a bad cycle and need to break out.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I do keep winning each battle.

Now all I seem to need is to break my waking up habit so the machine can do its job.

Onward.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Success!!

First night that I was able to stay in bed almost all night.

I woke up a few times, I remember about three, BUT only the first one got me up out of bed.

The rest I was able to just shift position and fall back asleep.

So second sleep cycle recorded having lasted 5:15 hours with an AHI of 9.50.

Total sleep time was 7:05 with a total AHI of 10:29.

Now if I can do this again for a couple of days I will then try without any pain relief.

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to sleep on one side or the other. If I roll onto my back my OA's go through the roof.
I wear a laptop backpack (packed with 3 tubes of tennis balls!) so I can't roll onto my back.
Only problem is that it's hot in warm weather.
After using that all winter though I am well enough conditioned to roll all the way over to my otherside now.
Only slightly higher AHI now when I dont use the pack.

Costs about $30 to make but you don't need to do any sewing.

Cheers!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that if I don't get TOTALLY FLAT on my back, that a slight lift from a pillow keeps my apneas down...

It turned out it was being totally flat that gave me the most trouble.

You might try it.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need more than just a couple of days of data. We normally suggest you need at least 10 days. But since yours is medication related (I am assuming you started a new pain med), I suggest you go longer. Stick to the same routine for 3-4 weeks. This gives the medication time to truly get into your system and for your brain and body to get used to this new thing called sleep.

When my medications change, if any affect the sleep, I've noticed it can take about 3 - 4 weeks before the sleep data settles down into a new "normal", if there are changes at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well another fair night.

Once again I woke up early, but now I lasted 2:24 hours and had an AHI of 2.50, but again much hip pain…

And I was on my Norco…Darn….

So I got up and stayed up for about an hour and ½ and at that point took a second pill (I was told the “life time” of these are 4 to 6 hours) and I have taken my first pill an hour before bed time so it was 5 hours later.

This worked out so so I had a little stomach distress..

So back to bed and to sleep where I sleep 2:22 minutes with a AHI of .42 where I was awaken by hip pain again..and I then tried different positions, first I tried sleeping flat on my back…I did so for 48 minutes and this caused a AHI reading of 19.95 for that time…

I then tried sleeping on my right side and slept for 55 minutes and got a AHI of 1.09.

I am starting to think I need a new bed, sadly my current one is only a few years old and has a 5 inch memory form top and SHOULD be very good But this hip pain is so strong Norco cannot stop it.

Talk about a catch 22, I need to sleep on my sides but doing so causes such hip pain that I can’t…and sleeping on my back causes major AHIs.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Pain meds working slept a total of 8 hours last night with only two to three wake ups.

Felt a little better today.

Getting there.

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Inch by inch, it's a cinch, Rich. Bigwink

Glad to hear of the progress, even if it's slow progress. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 601 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 864 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 86 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 499 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 258 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.