Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Sleep Apnea
Positional Sleep Apnea
Big Grin New to forum. Looking for advise from others with similar experiences. I was diagnosed with Positional Sleep Apnea in 2012 via a Sleep Study. Was fitted with a Mandible Advancement Device, which I got for free because the clinic I was seen at were doing a research program. It worked really well, I felt like I got a restful full nights sleep. My husband verified my snoring and restless sleep had stopped. I wore it religiously for 3 years when the device's plastic started wearing down, and pieces breaking off.  So I stopped wearing it. I didn't get it replaced as it would be out of pocket and they aren't cheap, I was told 2000$  Fast forward 3 years and I am struggling so much with day time exhaustion; eyes and shoulders feel so heavy. Lack of stamina or motivation. Hard to get out of bed in the morning. I don't have the energy for anything more than what I have to do. 
My husband's sleep is interupted by my snoring and tossing and turning. I made an appointment with the clinic in 2 weeks to see what my options are. 
Hoping the Mandible Advancement Device is more affordable now or insurance will cover. 

Anyone else have success or experience with this device?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Sleep Apnea
The ones that it has worked for usually had mild sleep apnea. A lot will depend on a sleep study. As the years roll along sleep apnea usually gets worse. So you may be better of just going with a CPAP. Besides it's cheaper.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
And over time they change your bite permanently, and you can't chew normally anymore.  That dissuaded me from trying one and trying CPAP instead.

Regardless of what you choose, please do get some method of treatment.  Your long term health depends on it.  Not to mention your husband's sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I'd suggest getting the sleep study. It can help you know what's wrong when you're sleeping. It's data will point out if it's actually sleep apneas you're dealing with, by what degree they exist, and of which type(s) they are as well. Then you'd know what method of treatment should be most effective.

Assuming you do get a sleep study, you can post a copy of that sleep study, with personal info redacted, and informed folk here can decipher that info, giving you some pointers on what may be best actions/choices from there.

Best to ya on getting some answers. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just on the basis of numbers alone, an autoset type machine can 'grow' with you.  The mandible device is fixed as a tool that only works relatively well based on what/who you are today...or the day it was crafted.

The price you quoted is substantially more costly than the price for either a used machine or one new if you shop around.  I know where my money would go.

And yes, please, for EVERYONE'S sake, get assessed again in an overnight sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.