Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible Success?
Possible Success?
I just noticed two things since I started PAP a week ago. Even though I still feel crappy,

1. I have a finger oximeter. When I would check myself sitting at the computer I was 93-96%. Now Im consistently 98-99%,

2. My hunger is way down and Ive dropped from 198-192 pounds. Im now a big man.

Is this a normal occurrence? Just wondering..

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible Success?
Many people with OSA have some degree of Atelectasis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelectasis

PAP pressure can recruit some of the collapsed alveoli; increasing PSaO2 even when off the PAP.

Some people also lose weight when they treat their apnea.
There could be any number of reason why that might happen.

edit: Permit me to speculate. Improved hemodynamics may have caused loss of water weight.

(I would love to be under 200# again!)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2015, 12:38 PM)GTOdude Wrote: I just noticed two things since I started PAP a week ago. Even though I still feel crappy,

1. I have a finger oximeter. When I would check myself sitting at the computer I was 93-96%. Now Im consistently 98-99%,

2. My hunger is way down and Ive dropped from 198-192 pounds. Im now a big man.

Is this a normal occurrence? Just wondering..

Mark

Congratulations on your positive results! I wasn't aware that therapy could affect non-sleeping SP02 levels, but it sounds like yours have improved. Nice work on the weight loss too. The medical community has always said sleep apnea is one of those issues that causes a whole lot of other issues - heart disease, hypertension, weight gain, etc.

I wish I could say I've had the same results. I had hoped sleep apnea was the root of many of my health problems and therapy would make many of them kinda "go away" but so far that hasn't been the case. While I feel a little better and less sleepy during the day, I still have borderline blood pressure, haven't lost any weight, and have the same appetite for things I shouldn't eat.

I had hoped sleep apnea was the chicken, laying many bad eggs in my health, but now it appears my weight is actually the chicken. Maybe when I finally lose the weight after having the vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Feb, my sleep apnea will actually go away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GTOdude,
CONGRATULATIONS! on your weight loss and it’s great to hear the positive results, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Great results GTO Dude - I am hoping that my weight starts coming down too!! Best wishes with it all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,614 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,897 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 547 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 901 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,842 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Success! joepublic23 2 569 01-31-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: joepublic23
  Anyone have success with Straterra / Atomoxetine Resmed10user 1 753 01-01-2023, 02:03 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.