Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible UARS - Just Buy an auto PAP and try it?
Possible UARS - Just Buy an auto PAP and try it?
Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I think I may have UARS.

I have had two sleep studies, one with no data because the place had too much noise for me to sleep a wink and the other I took extra of my sleep drug which happens to be a drug that suppresses RERAs, which I didn't know until after the study. 

I could do another sleep study, but who knows what the correct amount of sleep drug is to sleep enough to get data but not suppress possible RERA's. If I can't get sleep disordered breathing documented, I don't know how I could get further testing to try out a cpap/bipap/apap machine or have it titrated or anything.

I am thinking about just buying an auto pap and just starting at a low level and titrating myself with the help of software.  Thoughts anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible UARS - Just Buy an auto PAP and try it?
Clementine, even if you were prescribed positive air pressure therapy, the first line of therapy would be CPAP. So I think you are on the right track. First, PAP therapy can relieve upper airway restriction, and that is its primary function. You should experience considerable relief for flow limitation related to UARS. In addition, either the Philips or Resmed Auto CPAPs will provide you with very high resolution therapy data so you can see beyond the apnea and hypopnea to actually visualize flow limitation and RERA. This can help you to optimize the therapy. Your idea has my complete support, even though you may not get insurance reimbursement. By the way, you may want to discuss your plans with your doctor and request a prescription. Your symptoms should be sufficient for a prescription, even if it does not necessarily qualify you for insurance.

Finally, I'm going to recommend you get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset For Her. The reason is that this is the only CPAP machine that can work i a true bilevel pressure mode, with separate inhale and exhale pressures, to treat flow limitation. The For her model is specifically designed to work with flow limitation and UARS and would be an especially good choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had read really good things about the machine you recommended. Thanks for the input! When you buy a machine like this, does it come with the face mask/ nose part? I don't know a lot yet, but is the nose/face part something that I would need to try several different models of? I am an extremely light sleeper and I need probably the most comfortable thing of this type to use. I am not a mouth breather at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2018, 10:12 PM)Clementine39 Wrote: I had read really good things about the machine you recommended.  Thanks for the input!  When you buy a machine like this, does it come with the face mask/ nose part?  I don't know a lot yet, but is the nose/face part something that I would need to try several different models of?  I am an extremely light sleeper and I need probably the most comfortable thing of this type to use. I am not a mouth breather at all.

The machines can be sold alone with a basic hose and without a mask. However they are also frequently sold as a package that includes a heated hose and a mask. You should get a selection of the basic masks to choose from. I would suggest the ResMed AirFit P10 pillow mask as the first one to try. If there is any way to trial the mask that would be a good idea as everyone can be different. If there is no way to trial them and you have to pick one to start, then go with the P10. It should come as a fit pack, which includes three mask inserts. I believe XS, S, & M in the For Her version of the mask. You use the one you like and after that you just need to buy the replacement inserts of the size you use. They are fairly economical compared to some of the other mask choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ideal setup would be the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her with a heated hose.

Masks, I too would start with the P10 nasal pillow mask.  Of all the available masks it is the least intrusive, smallest, and quietest of them all.  Supplier#1 (see the supplier list at the top of the page) and others offer return insurance, sometimes free, typically you pay the return postage.  That is the cheapest way to try masks without the benefit of a clinic or DME.

Read the links in my signature, they will provide you with a lot of information.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Clementine, I agree the Resmed Airfit P10 is most likely going to give you the best success and the retail mask comes with 3 pillow sizes. The For-Her version has a smaller headgear and smaller selection of nasal pillows, while the standard version has S, M and L. I think I would put the Airfit P10 on your list, and for size, just consider your physical needs. That said, I encourage you to try the larger pillow sizes (M and S) rather than XS. It is a big mistake to use too small of a nasal pillow size as that usually results in discomfort, nasal irritation and leaks.

Since you mentioned buying this out of pocket, the "Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her (37209)" is currently available from several Amazon sellers like MedGuru and Sistemma at $675. The deeply discounted days on Amazon seem to be over, but that is still less than most online sellers. I'm pretty sure the For Her model is sold with the heated hose as standard, and any of the sellers can quote the Resmed Airfit P10 or P10 For Her. Feel free to browse the Supplier List on Apnea Board for other possibilities http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome information guys!  I am going to try what you recommend.  I had heard of the nasal pillows mask.  I am glad to hear such unanimous support for the Resmend machine and this mask.  I'm hoping I will be able to get used to it.  Even those stick on nose opening strips keep me awake at night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 72 52 minutes ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 961 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.