Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Request for Assitance with Central Apneas/Desats
RE: Request for Assitance with Central Apneas/Desats
Just food for thought...

Ever since I got a data machine I have had central apneas and they made up the bulk of my AHI (even my 2001 study showed them). I worked to get my AHI down and eventually it settled in at 2.5 with 1.5 CA, .7 OA and .3 HY with an S9 Autoset. It went on like this for over 4 years. There were times when I didn't even look at my numbers except for a 3 or 6 month summary.

I went through life events, lost my older brother, wife had heart valve surgery, retired, prostate cancer but my numbers just hummed along; and I felt good. Then one night the sleep wasn't as good. My AHI was over 4, next night it was 6, then 8, then double figures. Almost all of them were centrals. At times I would wake up gasping after 20 minutes with an AHI over 20; all centrals. I had always kept a tight range. like 5-8, 6-9 and 0 EPR. And I had worn a cervical collar for years. Tried a few tweaks, swapped out a collar, bed pillows, minor pressure tweaks and the spikes went back down, but never to 2.5 AHI. Made an appointment with a sleep doctor, got an order for an ASV titration, which I put off for a year.

I don't know what caused the sudden influx of centrals after so many years. I had been using the same machine for 4 years, same mask model, same setup. But, at least for me, when they started to spike, I was powerless to stop it with my Autoset.

I'm not saying you will go down this route, but data is your friend when it comes to talking to your doctor. When I saw my sleep doctor, after more than a decade, I armed myself with Rescan data and charts to show him what was happening. OSCAR is just as good, actually better in some respects, but you need to show him the spikes and exactly what is going on. Hopefully he will act upon it, or at least monitor it more closely.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll second sleeprider's suggestion of using a limited range. It has worked very well for me and I've had a similar experience to you so far.
I've gone as far as setting the AutoSet essentially as a CPAP (AutoSet mode where min = max) with EPR @ 3.
Worth a trying his/her suggestion for week and see how you're feeling.

Also, don't worry about your heart rate, 50 is not 'low' for sleep. It'll depend a bit on how fit you are and your age, but I'd say 50 is right in the 'average' territory.
Mine regularly drops to 29 while I'm sleeping, and it's not a problem as I'm relatively fit for my age.
Post Reply Post Reply
Greetings All,

Thanks for all the insights and comments. Tapping into the collective wisdom of the this community is infinitely more helpful that being on the receiving end of McMedicine. I am back to my original dialed in settings of Min 8, Max 13.6, EPR 3. I plan to review my history to get a better idea of the what a reasonable max pressure is. Good news is that my CAs have disappeared but unfortunately I have now started to suddenly jerk awake. This happening with no recorded events and oxygen looked good at 96 percent. Only thing that looks unusual is the flow rate at the time. Additionally, I do wonder if the machine is automatically turning off as I have seen unexplained gaps in the data. Thanks again for the comments and any inputs/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That’s awesome.

Do you have power issues at your house? Ever get flickering or temporary power loss?
If so then it’s worth considering a small UPS for your CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason, the machine detected a large leak and shut down on smart-start. You may want to disable that feature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 5 241 03-09-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: meatheadmd
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 15 630 03-08-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 270 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 444 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.