Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible UARS Sufferer?
RE: Possible UARS Sufferer?
(02-28-2020, 12:40 PM)cbailey1616 Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 11:43 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Lets see some zoomed in examples, when doing so post 2 min durations and show the flow rate chart and mask pressure chart.

Around 1:05 and 3:05 caught my eye. These seem to indicate reduced breathing leading up to arousals. If you think there is anything else that looks odd/interesting post an example.

One thing that caught my eye was that your inspiration time was only 1 second and your tidal volume is on low side. What is your Timin and Timax set to? Do you ever feel like the machine is trying to supply or reduce pressure to early or late?

Heres a zoomed in example: https://imgur.com/enmmNXW

My settings are:

Ti Max= 1
Ti Min 0.5s
Tiger = Very High

My breathing felt fine to me. I had my Ti Max = 2 and it was definitely holding for too long.

The Ti Max doesn't "hold"; it is merely the range in it which it will switch.

I have a feeling 1 is too low.

Try 2 again, and see if you need to change the trigger or cycle setting? You can experiment while awake.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wondered about that... Increase Timax back to 2.

The machine runs off your spontaneous breathing effort. All you have done is force the machine to stop supplying pressure prematurely which is encouraging you to exhale sooner and this is also causing the low tidal volume.

I havent seen anything to indicate you need to be using Timax. What was probably bothering you and what you probably need to adjust is your cycle sensitivity. A higher cycle sensitivity will reduce the pressure sooner but still relies on your spontaneous breathing rather than trying to force your breathing to end sooner using ticontrol.

Edit: Trigger sensitivity slowriter mentions is the opposite and controls how soon the machine starts to supply pressure. You can try adjusting it if you are having issues with that as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2020, 01:31 PM)Geer1 Wrote: I wondered about that... Increase Timax back to 2.

The machine runs off your spontaneous breathing effort. All you have done is force the machine to stop supplying pressure prematurely which is encouraging you to exhale sooner and this is also causing the low tidal volume.

I havent seen anything to indicate you need to be using Timax. What was probably bothering you and what you probably need to adjust is your cycle sensitivity. A higher cycle sensitivity will reduce the pressure sooner but still relies on your spontaneous breathing rather than trying to force your breathing to end sooner using ticontrol.

Edit: Trigger sensitivity slowriter mentions is the opposite and controls how soon the machine starts to supply pressure. You can try adjusting it if you are having issues with that as well.

Good Stuff. I'll change timax back to 2 and tune in my cycle. I'll report back in a week or so.

THANKS!
Brain Fog Sufferer - 3 Years and counting.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I gave that a few nights. Here are the results: https://imgur.com/a/hfa8LhK

Tidal volume is still lower than expected. Dont feel any different.
Post Reply Post Reply
The resolution of the images is too low for me to read some of it.

Any reason why you don't upload to this forum (via attachments)?

Tidal volume varies by height. If you're a 6 foot male, like me, 360 is low. But not if you're on the shorter side.

There are tables that show the normal ranges.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2020, 05:53 AM)slowriter Wrote: The resolution of the images is too low for me to read some of it.

Any reason why you don't upload to this forum (via attachments)?

Tidal volume varies by height. If you're a 6 foot male, like me, 360 is low. But not if you're on the shorter side.

There are tables that show the normal ranges.

Just attachment limits. Im 5'8" so that may explain it. I have attached the main snap shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
You tidal volume and minute vent do look a bit low, I am 5’ 9” and my tidal volume is similar to yours of 320 which is low but my respiration rate is higher giving a minute vent of 6l which is normal for my size. Have you used an SPO2 reader to check O2 levels mine are within normal range
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2020, 07:18 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: You tidal volume and minute vent do look a bit low, I am 5’ 9” and my tidal volume is similar to yours of 320 which is low but my respiration rate is higher giving a minute vent of 6l which is normal for my size. Have you used an SPO2 reader to check O2 levels mine are within normal range

I use a beddr sleep tracker and my SPO2% is is in the mid 90's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your median pressure is over 8, but your min EPAP is 4.

And assuming the possibility of UARS (e.g. that you're sensitive to FL), you still have FL you could tackle.

In short, I think you want a min EPAP closer to 8, and higher PS.

You might try raising min EPAP to, say, 7, keep it for a few nights and see how it feels, and then start raising PS further and see.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 819 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: gzaw
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 448 03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 491 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 486 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,030 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 834 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.