Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Possible UARS Sufferer?
Sad 
Possible UARS Sufferer?
Hi all,

I'm wondering if I have UARS. I have a slightly deviated septum and a type 3 airway. My sleep study showed an 0.5AHI so I do not have OSA. I've had brain fog and fatigue for 3 years now and pretty much pass out as soon as I hit my pillow Sad . I purchased a Resmed Airsense 10 to give it a try and I noticed improvements in fatigue and hunger after 1 day. However, I've been on it for 4 weeks now and theres been no additional benefits. I probably am not optimizing the machine at all since I have it set to CPAP=6 and EPR=2. 

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my OSCAR report from last night to see if anything glaring stands out(attached). All  I see is flat peaks on the Flow Rate. I've seen in this forum that indicates UARS? If this is the case I'll purchase a Aircurve ASV if thats a better machine to treat my condition.

Anyway, any input helps. Thanks
-Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Possible UARS Sufferer?
Did you do an in-lab sleep study, and did the report include your RERA index? Can you post the study results, with suitable redactions?

Also, why are you on CPAP mode, rather than auto?

On the screenshots, make sure you read the directions. You need to remove the calendar and the pie chart, as they obscure important data.

Finally, on machines: the ASV is most complex and expensive option. The Aircurve VAuto is a more accessible middle ground.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 12:18 PM)slowriter Wrote: Did you do an in-lab sleep study, and did the report include your RERA index? Can you post the study results, with suitable redactions?

On the screenshots, make sure you read the directions. You need to remove the calendar and the pie chart, as they obscure important data.

Finally, on machines: the ASV is most complex and expensive option. The Aircurve VAuto is a more accessible middle ground.
Hi, responses are in RED

Did you do an in-lab sleep study, and did the report include your RERA index? Can you post the study results, with suitable redactions? 
I did an at-home sleep test. I don't get the full report until I see my doctor in 3 weeks. All I know is I have an AHI of 0.5.

I also saw on reddit that CPAP may be better for UARS. Their reasoning is that when you gave UARS you are super aware of that if you have constant pressure fluctuations tit may cause arousals. I did start off for a couple weeks with automode, don't really notice a difference between the two. I'm just trying to work through things to see if anything works.

Noted, updated screenshots. 

Sorry, I was mistaken. I did order the Air-curve VAuto.

The help is much appreciated!
-Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cbailey1616,
You need to include the left sidebar with all the statistics, minus the pie chart and calendar.

Graphs: Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitations, Leak Rate
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do indeed have UARS, the VAuto is a great choice.

So that'll arrive in a few days?

I have UARS, and I gradually settled on an approach which uses the VAuto (or whatever auto) mode to gradually narrow down the pressure ranges so that pressures don't change much.

Particularly early on, though, when you're trying to diagnose and find the right pressure settings, I think it's much better to use auto mode.

In fact, there's one recent research study that argued you can use a cpap auto mode to diagnose UARS, with the idea that if you have a low AHI like you do, and the machine raises pressure (in their study, their subjects averaged about 7), that can reasonably confirm UARS. I can't find the link ATM though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 12:51 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi cbailey1616,
You need to include the left sidebar with all the statistics, minus the pie chart and calendar.

Graphs:  Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitations, Leak Rate

3rd times a charm  Oh-jeez

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 01:17 PM)slowriter Wrote: If you do indeed have UARS, the VAuto is a great choice.

So that'll arrive in a few days?

I have UARS, and I gradually settled on an approach which uses the VAuto (or whatever auto) mode to gradually narrow down the pressure ranges so that pressures don't change much.

Particularly early on, though, when you're trying to diagnose and find the right pressure settings, I think it's much better to use auto mode.

In fact, there's one recent research study that argued you can use a cpap auto mode to diagnose UARS, with the idea that if you have a low AHI like you do, and the machine raises pressure (in their study, their subjects averaged about 7), that can reasonably confirm UARS. I can't find the link ATM though.

Interesting, here is my OSCAR report with machine on Auto. Looks like I average = 6.  Is my statement typically accurate that when you have flat humps in flow rate, that can indicate UARS?

Post Reply Post Reply
There you go.

For next time, maybe change the y-axis values of the flat rate graph so we can better see the waveforms? Say to +-70?

I would change to auto mode tonight, with a max of maybe 15, just to see what it does.

Based on what you subsequently posted, maybe auto mode with a minimum of 8?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 01:34 PM)cbailey1616 Wrote: Interesting, here is my OSCAR report with machine on Auto. Looks like I average = 6.  Is my statement typically accurate that when you have flat humps in flow rate, that can indicate UARS?

The average was six, but it went a fair bit higher, which tells me you need more minimum pressure. As, if you were insisting on CPAP mode, I'd do 9 instead of 6, for example.

On your question, it can. The non-rounded waveforms indicate flow limitation. Whether they cause arousals for you is another question, which is why I asked about the sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2020, 01:35 PM)slowriter Wrote: There you go.

For next time, maybe change the y-axis values of the flat rate graph so we can better see the waveforms? Say to +-70?

I would change to auto mode tonight, with a max of maybe 15, just to see what it does.

I have attached a graph where its on auto with a max of 16. This was my first night.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 3 816 10 hours ago
Last Post: gzaw
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 22 444 Yesterday, 07:50 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 4 489 03-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 483 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,025 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 833 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.